Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have offers so study physics at birmingham and warwick (both A*AA), and I am struggling to decide which one I should firm.

So does anyone have any suggestions on which of the two is better for physics and what I should do?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Rep: Warwick
    Research: Warwick
    Costs: Birmingham
    etc. (Decide what you want)

ReputationRep:
    so prestige goes to Warwick, City life goes to Birmingham. Campus-life goes to wherever you'll be happiest.

One major element that TSRers never consider is the speciality of the departments. for instance, i did biology at st andrews and because st andrews has a massive marine biology focus, many of the lectures were on whales & seals amongst all the other standard biology topics. Find out which areas of physics you're most interested in, and how this aligns with the departments' focus

note: particularly at a large research institution like Birmingham, a department's speciality is more likely to be characterised by what fields aren't covered rather than what is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computer Geek)
    Rep: Warwick
    Research: Warwick
    Costs: Birmingham
    etc. (Decide what you want)
    Thanks.
    Do you happen to know anything about the quality of teaching (ive looked a bit at this but id likr someone elses input)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-10)
    Thanks.
    Do you happen to know anything about the quality of teaching (ive looked a bit at this but id likr someone elses input)
    At Warwick, it's actually shockingly bad. Can't comment for what it would be like at Birmingham.

In general, it is expected you learn most of your stuff at university independently and the lecturers just introduce you to stuff.

ReputationRep:
    At Warwick, it's actually shockingly bad. Can't comment for what it would be like at Birmingham.

In general, it is expected you learn most of your stuff at university independently and the lecturers just introduce you to stuff.
    Loool im guessing ur at warwick then

What convinced you to firm it when/if you did

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-10)
    Loool im guessing ur at warwick then

What convinced you to firm it when/if you did
    Reputation, I’m not really fussed about my experience at university if my experience afterwards is good.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Reputation, I’m not really fussed about my experience at university if my experience afterwards is good.
    Could you possibly expand on the "shockingly bad" teaching? What about it wasn't up to scratch/could have been improved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)

note: particularly at a large research institution like Birmingham, a department's speciality is more likely to be characterised by what fields aren't covered rather than what is
    Thank youu but I dont rlly understand this last part, could you explain it please ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-10)
    Thank youu but I dont rlly understand this last part, could you explain it please ?
    as in most universities, particularly large ones, are likely to cover all major fields of physics, but there may be fields that they don't cover that might matter to you, and so you wouldn't pick that uni

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.