Turn on thread page Beta

I did a year of University back in 2009, but it wasn't for me so I dropped out and went to work. Had some success with that but then I decided that I wanted to do something else which requires University.

Well, I went back in September (aged 28) with only three years of fees left to study law. Law is said to be the best route to this particular career however, I don't want to be a lawyer.

I hate this course with a passion.

My mind has been on pretty much everything but and I've fallen behind quite a lot. The work isn't hard, it's just monotonous and frustrating. There's really no other way to describe it than just horrible. It really is just horrible.

The problem is I have no passion or interest in the subject, so all I have been able to do is live in the future when everything will be better. Which is not a healthy way to live and things are just seeming too far away and each day goes by too slowly. I'm 28 and wishing years of my life away.

I wish I could just go join the armed forces, but I failed the medical due to needing asthma related problems.

Then just a few days ago I discovered another course, paramedical sciences at a different university that is way more my kind of thing and leads to a similar job dealing with emergencies. I just jumped on law because I thought it would be difficult but worth it.

I hate it and I think I'll end up failing my first year and I'll be completely screwed.

It isn't just these facts. I cannot tell you enough how soul crushingly alone I am. I never get to see my mates because they're all still working nights and I might see them for an hour at the gym twice a week.

I'm surrounded by 18 year olds who I get along with but have no friendship with. I'm 10 years older than them.

Well, back to working on Tort revision....
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I did a year of University back in 2009, but it wasn't for me so I dropped out and went to work. Had some success with that but then I decided that I wanted to do something else which requires University.

Well, I went back in September (aged 28) with only three years of fees left to study law. Law is said to be the best route to this particular career however, I don't want to be a lawyer.

I hate this course with a passion.

My mind has been on pretty much everything but and I've fallen behind quite a lot. The work isn't hard, it's just monotonous and frustrating. There's really no other way to describe it than just horrible. It really is just horrible.

The problem is I have no passion or interest in the subject, so all I have been able to do is live in the future when everything will be better. Which is not a healthy way to live and things are just seeming too far away and each day goes by too slowly. I'm 28 and wishing years of my life away.

I wish I could just go join the armed forces, but I failed the medical due to needing asthma related problems.

Then just a few days ago I discovered another course, paramedical sciences at a different university that is way more my kind of thing and leads to a similar job dealing with emergencies. I just jumped on law because I thought it would be difficult but worth it.

I hate it and I think I'll end up failing my first year and I'll be completely screwed.

It isn't just these facts. I cannot tell you enough how soul crushingly alone I am. I never get to see my mates because they're all still working nights and I might see them for an hour at the gym twice a week.

I'm surrounded by 18 year olds who I get along with but have no friendship with. I'm 10 years older than them.

Well, back to working on Tort revision....
    Ok you seem to have made a poor choice and not done enough research.

As you point out your issue is finance.

You get degree +1, but you appear to have used your +1 the first time around and this year uses a years worth as well, leaving you at degree -1. i.e if you start a new curse then they would only pay fees from second year onwards.

You can get back funding if you make a compelling personal reasons claim i.e family issues or personal health (including mental) forces you to drop out. things like anxiety an depression can count if you have medical backing. i.e the GP will write a supporting letter.

That could restore first year finance so a full degree could be funded.

Tort is great but if its nor for you, then you need to make some quick choices.

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/di...px?DocID=25908

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.