Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but which university would be considered the most prestigious or preferred by employers for graduate schemes?

I'm wondering what sort of impressions people have of both universities and which is considered the most intellectually demanding? (perhaps they are equal...?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreeDerry)
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but which university would be considered the most prestigious or preferred by employers for graduate schemes?

I'm wondering what sort of impressions people have of both universities and which is considered the most intellectually demanding? (perhaps they are equal...?)
    Prestige is definitely UCL
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    preferred by employers for graduate schemes?
    Makes no difference.

Pick the one with the course you prefer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don’t think you should pick based on prestige if the courses are significantly different and you prefer one over the other.

But if you’re going with prestige anyway, then UCL.

ReputationRep:
    international research powerhouse reputation = UCL by a country mile

exclusive undergraduate teaching-focused uni = Durham by a smidgen. actually no i'd say UCL by a smidgen. about equal, really that is possible!

ReputationRep:

It won't unless you're applying to certain bits within finance. What field are you thinking about entering?

For most other things, it will be the same (unless one specific grad employer has established a link with the students/alumni of just one of the two institutions, which is fairly unlikely, but it happens.

I very much that any of us on TSR have the authority to say that one or the other is more demanding, at least without having studied the same course at both, or having access to data on e.g. the average weekly hours worked by students at each etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    It won't unless you're applying to certain bits within finance. What field are you thinking about entering?

For most other things, it will be the same (unless one specific grad employer has established a link with the students/alumni of just one of the two institutions, which is fairly unlikely, but it happens.

I very much that any of us on TSR have the authority to say that one or the other is more demanding, at least without having studied the same course at both, or having access to data on e.g. the average weekly hours worked by students at each etc.

I was thinking of Law (conversion) but don't necessarily have my heart set on this.

What I am slightly worried about is the difference in course offers I've been made. UCL has made me an offer for 'Ancient Languages' (I don't have A Level Latin) whereas Durham has made me an offer for straight Classics. I am concerned that as Ancient Languages is a new degree (it began in 2013) it might not be seen as being as respectable as Classics which is far older and more established. Obviously I am not going to make my decision solely on what is considered 'more impressive' (so please no 'just pick the course you like best!') but I'd appreciate some opinions on whether the newer degree might be a hindrance or considered a 'lesser' degree?

ReputationRep:
    For classics I think Durham would be better... For Law too perhaps.. I've always seen UCL as a science/economics driven uni

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.