Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to study a zoology degree but I’m unsure what university to apply to I have had a look at Bangor , Nottingham Trent and Reading . Are these universities good for zoology or is their any better recommendations to look at ?

ReputationRep:
    Many universities offer Zoology degrees.

Of those three I think Reading is the best but it depends what aspects of Zoology appeal to you. Is it particular clades? Fish, birds, mammals etc. Is it theorhetical aspects such as Evolution or Conservation theory?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    Many universities offer Zoology degrees.

Of those three I think Reading is the best but it depends what aspects of Zoology appeal to you. Is it particular clades? Fish, birds, mammals etc. Is it theorhetical aspects such as Evolution or Conservation theory?
    Bangor offers herpetology as a part of the degree which I’m interested in but is it a good university to study at

ReputationRep:
    It is currently ranked 65th in the UK which places it smack in the middle, though higher than Hull (my alma mater) is at the moment.

Reading is ranked 27th.

Nottingham Trent is 52nd.

Have you visited these places?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benutd)
    I want to study a zoology degree but I’m unsure what university to apply to I have had a look at Bangor , Nottingham Trent and Reading . Are these universities good for zoology or is their any better recommendations to look at ?
    As Gwilym101 says, it depends on what you mean by "better". Obviously, the three you mention are "upper-middle" ranking in terms of most of the overall league tables. If you are concerned about league tables, then there are obviously at least 27 "better" unis to consider! By and large, the upper places on these tables are occupied by Russell Group universities.

In recent years, "zoology" as a distinct subject has been in decline (and "botany" has almost disappeared!) in favour of the more inclusive "Biology" or "Biological Sciences". In practice, this doesn't make a lot of difference, as the same stuff is being taught - you can't really separate animal and plant biology when it comes to evolution, genetics, ecology etc. So I wouldn't necessarily rule out considering Biology degrees, if you like the look of the Uni.

That said, I would strongly recommend making a shortlist and then visiting as many as you can on Open Days. It might be an effort, but if you are going to spend 3 years there, and spend tens of thousands of quids, it is worth making that effort.

In terms of the course itself, my key question would be how much maths is required on this course (what zoologist doesn't hate maths?). But otherwise, I suspect you will find most courses are flexible enough to accommodate a variety of topic options. More important will be finding somewhere that suits your social preferences - for example, some people would love the close-knit Falmouth campus at Exeter, others would find it claustrophobic; some would love a cosmopolitan city life like at the central London unis, others prefer to be closer to the countryside etc. Another reason for going to an Open Day before you choose would be to collar a PhD student and ask for a frank assessment of how happy a place the Department is. Avoid ones where the PhD-ers groan and say "I've made a terrible mistake!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    It is currently ranked 65th in the UK which places it smack in the middle, though higher than Hull (my alma mater) is at the moment.

Reading is ranked 27th.

Nottingham Trent is 52nd.

Have you visited these places?
    Thank you for the advice I will be going to look round them in the upcoming open days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OxFossil)
    As Gwilym101 says, it depends on what you mean by "better". Obviously, the three you mention are "upper-middle" ranking in terms of most of the overall league tables. If you are concerned about league tables, then there are obviously at least 27 "better" unis to consider! By and large, the upper places on these tables are occupied by Russell Group universities.

In recent years, "zoology" as a distinct subject has been in decline (and "botany" has almost disappeared!) in favour of the more inclusive "Biology" or "Biological Sciences". In practice, this doesn't make a lot of difference, as the same stuff is being taught - you can't really separate animal and plant biology when it comes to evolution, genetics, ecology etc. So I wouldn't necessarily rule out considering Biology degrees, if you like the look of the Uni.

That said, I would strongly recommend making a shortlist and then visiting as many as you can on Open Days. It might be an effort, but if you are going to spend 3 years there, and spend tens of thousands of quids, it is worth making that effort.

In terms of the course itself, my key question would be how much maths is required on this course (what zoologist doesn't hate maths?). But otherwise, I suspect you will find most courses are flexible enough to accommodate a variety of topic options. More important will be finding somewhere that suits your social preferences - for example, some people would love the close-knit Falmouth campus at Exeter, others would find it claustrophobic; some would love a cosmopolitan city life like at the central London unis, others prefer to be closer to the countryside etc. Another reason for going to an Open Day before you choose would be to collar a PhD student and ask for a frank assessment of how happy a place the Department is. Avoid ones where the PhD-ers groan and say "I've made a terrible mistake!"
    Thanks for the advice I want to study zoology as it is the part of biology that interests

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.