Turn on thread page Beta

How do I get people to see my relationship with my girlfriend as serious? watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my girlfriend have been together for 2 months now, and because of our age, most people don't think of our relationship as serious and think we'll break up soon. We are both in year 10 (I'm 14 and she's 15) and we are absolutely in love with each other. We like the same bands, have the same opinions, and when we have a small argument we don't really take it seriously and end up just having fun. We dream of when our education is over and we can travel across Europe, seeing Venice and The Alps and other amazingly beautiful places, just like our parents did. If this were an adult relationship, people would think we're destined to be married one day.
    The problem, as stated, is simply our age. This is really disheartening because we are seriously infatuated with one another, yet hear such remarks as 'wow, you two are still together? Well, you'll probably break up soon.' This mostly comes from family and friends.
    So, how can we get them to realise that our relationship is a serious, dedicated one?
    Please no 'have sex haha lol' type answers because, sorry, I don't have the time or patience to read through a pile of stupidity on this website.

ReputationRep:
    I was trickshotting at 14 with a burning aspiration to join FaZe. How things have changed.

Probably because of your age.

Because people who are older than you have a lot more experience. Sure, it has the potential to work but you're 14 you haven't even finished developing (neither has she) things can drastically change change

ReputationRep:
    People won't really treat it seriously as you are both so young. I can't imagine many relationships from that age lasting but it isn't impossible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

I've been with my boyfriend since was 13 he was 14 and we're 18 now - it's just time because you're so young, if it works out it works out you can prove to them all you were right. if not, they will be there to support you. don't let their interferences affect how you're feeling
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Probably because you've been together for 2 months and are only 14? Would be different if you'd been together for a few years and were in your late 20s or something.

ReputationRep:
    People aren't taking it seriously because 1. you're young and 2. it's only been two months. Statistically the vast majority of relationships will end in break ups. That is very true after only 2 months and even more true at your age. You can't force people to take you seriously because you're not serious. You may really care for each other but you can't understand what a serious relationship (i.e. one which lasts several years) is like let alone convince anyone else that you have one. Just enjoy what you have. If you're still together in a year people will probably start taking you more seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hi1780)
    Me and my girlfriend have been together for 2 months now, and because of our age, most people don't think of our relationship as serious and think we'll break up soon. We are both in year 10 (I'm 14 and she's 15) and we are absolutely in love with each other. We like the same bands, have the same opinions, and when we have a small argument we don't really take it seriously and end up just having fun. We dream of when our education is over and we can travel across Europe, seeing Venice and The Alps and other amazingly beautiful places, just like our parents did. If this were an adult relationship, people would think we're destined to be married one day.
    The problem, as stated, is simply our age. This is really disheartening because we are seriously infatuated with one another, yet hear such remarks as 'wow, you two are still together? Well, you'll probably break up soon.' This mostly comes from family and friends.
    So, how can we get them to realise that our relationship is a serious, dedicated one?
    Please no 'have sex haha lol' type answers because, sorry, I don't have the time or patience to read through a pile of stupidity on this website.
    Let's speak when you have made a year. It's only 2 months and you have a lifetime ahead of you for you to be concened about comments.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    it's not been that long. and why do you care about what others think about your relationship?

ReputationRep:
    people worry for reasons.Certainly age is one of the factors to measure your determination,cause people always make mistakes at their young age.though you may see this relationship precious now,but no one can promise it won't be a [img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/ADMINI~1/LOCALS~1/Temp/%[email protected]$ACOF(TYDYECOKVDYB.png[/img]mistake.so If you do love this girl ,you don'tneed to prove this to anyone.time wil tell.

ReputationRep:
    99% of committed relationships which start out that young quite simply do not last, (however most of those involved in those relationships, felt/thought exactly same as you when they began their respective relationships!). So it is only natural that older people (who as far as they are concerned, will have seen this time and time again) aren't taking your relationship very seriously.

I think that at this point you are just going to have to accept this as a fact of life. However what will begin to start giving your relationship more credibility is it actually lasting. It will take a long time (we're talking years here) for it to be taken with any real seriousness by other people, because at this point it hasn't lasted anywhere near long enough to be taken with much seriousness yet. And regardless of age too!
    2 months is really not a long time to have been with someone. That you are wanting everyone to treat you as the lovers for life that you think you are right now only 2 months into your relationship together, in other people's eyes will only be further highlighting your naiviety/immaturity/young age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phillip Banks)
    I was trickshotting at 14 with a burning aspiration to join FaZe. How things have changed.

Probably because of your age.
    Haha bro, exactly I was same .. feeding and trickshoting back in the day .. Was so fun in BO2 .. I even created YouTube account LMAO.. .

The thing is, adults say that because they have more experience. For them a relationship between 14-15 year olds is just puppy love. But that doesn't mean they all are like that. I've seen high school sweethearts end up together at the end. I'm 21 and people doubted my relationship at the beginning, and yeah its annoying but the best advice I can give you is just keep going with your relationship. You don't know where it will get to. Only you and your gf. Even if you guys are young, but yeah just ignore and continue on. People are always going to doubt things because we like to feel like we know everything.

ReputationRep:
    You're children and you've been together 2 months, enjoy it whilst it lasts but be aware that it probably won't. People change so much as they grow older, no adult will say they're the same person they are now as they were at 14/15. 2 months into the relationship is the honeymoon period which is why you're so "infatuated" with each other, this will cool off eventually and you'll both come back to reality. This isn't your fault btw just something you'll learn in time.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.