Turn on thread page Beta

Financial Issues - Can I skip exams to claim maintenance loan? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first-year university student who has had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life so I need some advice about my course. Please be kind as I am really stressed about this.

My younger sister has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer (which can only be slowed down, not cured, so it's obviously not looking good), I am on medications for anxiety and depression and have several health issues myself. My university is aware of all this but have given me practically zero support and messed up my extenuating circumstances claims.

I had a 'light-bulb' moment recently where I realised that my course isn't the right choice for me, and so I have requested to switch courses for the next academic year. This request has been accepted.

Given everything going on, I feel it would make sense for me to interrupt my studies until September and not waste any more time on a course I don't enjoy, but I am desperate for my final maintenance loan as it helps pay towards a lot of things (our rent, food, bills, travelling to my sister's appointments).

To avoid having to repay the instalment I'm yet to receive, I will have to stay enrolled on my current course, but I feel that there's no point sitting the exams as I won't be continuing the same course next year and I will likely fail anyway if I attempt to revise as I am mentally struggling a lot already. With everything going on at home, I feel that it's more important for me to be there, especially by April/May as my sister will likely not have long left (we have been told this by the doctors, estimated by how fast she is deteriorating) but we still need the money (but I am definitely not in the right mental mindset to get a job with everything going on right now)

So my question basically is - what happens if I don't turn up to my exams? Will I be kicked out of the university even though my course transfer has been approved? Should I just sit in the exam hall but not write anything so I can still get my final maintenance loan instalment?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by indigoturtle)
    I'm a first-year university student who has had a lot of stuff going on in my personal life so I need some advice about my course. Please be kind as I am really stressed about this.

My younger sister has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer (which can only be slowed down, not cured, so it's obviously not looking good), I am on medications for anxiety and depression and have several health issues myself. My university is aware of all this but have given me practically zero support and messed up my extenuating circumstances claims.

I had a 'light-bulb' moment recently where I realised that my course isn't the right choice for me, and so I have requested to switch courses for the next academic year. This request has been accepted.

Given everything going on, I feel it would make sense for me to interrupt my studies until September and not waste any more time on a course I don't enjoy, but I am desperate for my final maintenance loan as it helps pay towards a lot of things (our rent, food, bills, travelling to my sister's appointments).

To avoid having to repay the instalment I'm yet to receive, I will have to stay enrolled on my current course, but I feel that there's no point sitting the exams as I won't be continuing the same course next year and I will likely fail anyway if I attempt to revise as I am mentally struggling a lot already. With everything going on at home, I feel that it's more important for me to be there, especially by April/May as my sister will likely not have long left (we have been told this by the doctors, estimated by how fast she is deteriorating) but we still need the money (but I am definitely not in the right mental mindset to get a job with everything going on right now)

So my question basically is - what happens if I don't turn up to my exams? Will I be kicked out of the university even though my course transfer has been approved? Should I just sit in the exam hall but not write anything so I can still get my final maintenance loan instalment?
    Go and talk to a student advisor.

Imo you are still a student till the uni withdraws you.
    If you do withdraw then SFE can give you up to 60 days discretionary payment.

I think you would be fine and they wouldnt do anything, but go and see an advisor and make sure your new offer is nothing to do with performance in year 1. See your GP and student welfare on a regular basis for evidence and then you can point to stress, depression and having a break down if needs be.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.