Turn on thread page Beta

How can I dye my bleached hair back to natural blonde when I've dyed it purple watch

ReputationRep:
    I recently dyed my hair purple (semi permanent) and although I liked it at first I hate the way it's feeling and for quote some time wanted to dye it back to my natural colour (which is a mid blonde) how would I do that??

To get my hair purple I bleached it so it's obviously stripped out the pigments in my hair. How do I do that myself as I'm a uni student and can't really afford a trip to the hair dressers? Can I dye my hair over the purple or do I need to wait it out and let it fade because in the past it's clung onto my hair and turned a green/blue/grey and I absolutely hated it.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ellama123)
    I recently dyed my hair purple (semi permanent) and although I liked it at first I hate the way it's feeling and for quote some time wanted to dye it back to my natural colour (which is a mid blonde) how would I do that??

To get my hair purple I bleached it so it's obviously stripped out the pigments in my hair. How do I do that myself as I'm a uni student and can't really afford a trip to the hair dressers? Can I dye my hair over the purple or do I need to wait it out and let it fade because in the past it's clung onto my hair and turned a green/blue/grey and I absolutely hated it.
    Honestly, this is going to be a tough one. Anything you do at home is likely to end up needing a trip to the hairdressers to fix, because this can so easily go wrong. I've seen it so many times - even done it myself. Even if you did manage to get the purple out and re-dye it blonde, you would probably end up seriously damaging your hair in the process. At least speak to a hairdresser for advice, even if they don't do it for you

ReputationRep:
    Have you got a college near you? You could go and see if the hairdressing students could help you, it could be a cheaper option than going to a hairdresser.

I agree with the previous poster that if you attempt it yourself you're probably going to have to get it fixed somewhere along the line.

ReputationRep:
    I've dyed my hair quite a lot and you can get stuff to strip colour which would take it back to the bleach blonde but putting on a mid blonde can be risky.

it could end up going green or really patchy so theres some risk with it.

what brand did you use for the purple because I might be able to help more with what to buy then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnnaGlypta)
    Have you got a college near you? You could go and see if the hairdressing students could help you, it could be a cheaper option than going to a hairdresser.

I agree with the previous poster that if you attempt it yourself you're probably going to have to get it fixed somewhere along the line.
    Unfortunately there aren't any collages round here where i live is pretty secluded but I've been looking online for hair dressers and I've spotted a few with really good ratings. I'm not in a situation where i want to risk doing anything wrong and damaging my hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3805508)
    I've dyed my hair quite a lot and you can get stuff to strip colour which would take it back to the bleach blonde but putting on a mid blonde can be risky.

it could end up going green or really patchy so theres some risk with it.

what brand did you use for the purple because I might be able to help more with what to buy then?
    I've never used anything to strip colour before and i'm super cautious of doing anything to further damage my hair. I've gotten a fair bit cut off and i'm now using coconut oil as a mask every now and then to keep my hair soft.

And the colour was directions hair dye and i think it was a mix of plum and violet

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.