Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For the physical paper of AS geography how do you structure a 12 mark answer?

ReputationRep:
    For edexcel (as that is the exam board I am doing):

They will usually ask you to 'assess'. And you need to do this throughout. This basically means say which factor/reason is better than the other 1/2/3 that you are wiring about.

What I have been told to do:

1) Define key terms in the question. Say which factors you are going to talk about, and which is most important. Should be fairly brief.
    2) First paragraph on the most important factor/the factor it mainly wants you to analyse in the question, if there is one mentioned.
    PEEL - point, evidence, explain, link back to question (say why it is the most important factor, and why the others are less important)
    3) repeat for the amount of factors/points you are using. for the 'link' part, say why they are important but not as important, or why one factor is better than another factor but not the most important factor. This depends on how many you talk about.
    4) no need for a conclusion if you have clearly stated which one is most important and why, and why the other two points aren't as important. You must EVALUATE THROUGHOUT to get full marks on this question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unadjectivable)
    For edexcel (as that is the exam board I am doing):

They will usually ask you to 'assess'. And you need to do this throughout. This basically means say which factor/reason is better than the other 1/2/3 that you are wiring about.

What I have been told to do:

1) Define key terms in the question. Say which factors you are going to talk about, and which is most important. Should be fairly brief.
    2) First paragraph on the most important factor/the factor it mainly wants you to analyse in the question, if there is one mentioned.
    PEEL - point, evidence, explain, link back to question (say why it is the most important factor, and why the others are less important)
    3) repeat for the amount of factors/points you are using. for the 'link' part, say why they are important but not as important, or why one factor is better than another factor but not the most important factor. This depends on how many you talk about.
    4) no need for a conclusion if you have clearly stated which one is most important and why, and why the other two points aren't as important. You must EVALUATE THROUGHOUT to get full marks on this question.
    What do you write for the explain part? I literally don't know what they expect you to write when you are explaining your point
    And also for your third point, when I link do I have to say why my point is important but not as important

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    What do you write for the explain part? I literally don't know what they expect you to write when you are explaining your point
    And also for your third point, when I link do I have to say why my point is important but not as important
    Just did a geography mock today actually.

Explain as in, describe what your point is in more detail, and how it is relevant for the question. Then include some case study/examples of it to back it up.

And I would too for your third point. Remember, to get top marks on the 12 marker, you have to evaluate THROUGHOUT, so yes I would do it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unadjectivable)
    Just did a geography mock today actually.

Explain as in, describe what your point is in more detail, and how it is relevant for the question. Then include some case study/examples of it to back it up.

And I would too for your third point. Remember, to get top marks on the 12 marker, you have to evaluate THROUGHOUT, so yes I would do it then.
    How many points would you recommend doing for a 12 marker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    How many points would you recommend doing for a 12 marker?
    Aside from your intro, I would say 2 or 3.
    2 AT LEAST, because you need to 'assess' and you cannot say which one is more important if you haven't even talked about a second point.

Depends on how much time you have, and how much you can talk about the points.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 23, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.