The Student Room Group

Is this a valid reason to get fired?

Recently, I've been working at this restaurant with rooms. We're usually really busy and I'm the only one ever on floor. There's a woman who is full time on bar, as well as two chefs. Last night, I constantly had tables in to the point there weren't any left, I had a table of six, as well as seven at once, as well as multiple fours, threes and twos. I'm new to the job and have never received the proper training, as well as this I am doing my GCSEs and live in two different places at once, meaning I can only work one Saturday night every fortnight. At the start of the night, I have this table of four, two of which are six year olds. The parent isn't watching them, so they keep coming behind the bar and asking me questions and stuff, so as well as entertaining them, I now have multiple tables to sort out. There's another table with a family there, the mum and the daughter are both on the phone, talking to people on call. In no way do I care about their ethnicity, but I'm including it due to what a team member said to me afterwards. The mum was black, the dad was white and their daughter was mixed race. I go to the woman behind the bar and say how I find it rude that people always go on their phones whilst they're out for dinner, she for no reasons points out their ethnicity by saying, ''Yeah they stayed here last week and the woman blocked the drain whilst shaving because she's half-caste,''. I don't say anything to this because I don't agree with one, the term that was used and two, how that has anything to do with race. As well as this, I'm permantly juggling all these tables and I come to this table of seven, I took their order and I honestly can bet all my money on the fact that this woman asked for a sirloin steak WITHOUT anything like chips etc but with a salad, and the women next to her said the same BUT with chips. I obviously got this to the kitchen and when it was ready, I took theirs first and the second woman said that she never ordered the sirloin. I said that I'm pretty sure she did but I apologised and told my boss, the chef, he said then ''She's got to ****ing wait.'' So I take the rest out and after I come back, what she's ordered is ready. So he says it's good to go, it's also the only thing out, so I go take it to her and when I get back to kitchen, he says it wasn't for her and has a go at me. He then tells me to go tell the other table as to why their meal will be late. My shift is over, and the woman behind the bar says she'll take over so it's cool. So I leave and I get a text today, saying it's due to my age (although he knew my age from the start and said it was no problem) and my availability (although he also knew this from the start and said it was no problem). As well as this, he hasn't paid me correctly (as in neglecting certain shifts), as well as not splitting tips equally. It's understaffed and although, someone who HAS BEEN TRAINED could have done it better than me, I think I did bloody well for a one person show. Please tell me if the night should have resulted in me getting fired or not??
The night shouldn't have resulted in you being fired. If I were you, I'd find somewhere else to work
I am doing so, I just wanted to know if they were correct in firing me for one night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending