Is it true you can't retake GCSE exams from 2018 onwards?

Watch
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I have heard rumors about it but I find it quite scary that is true, so if you fail GCSE Science you are stuck with that fail?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For New reformed GCSEs, I've not seen anything legally to say you can't resit them. Schools will have their own policies on them.

But you would have to resit the whole thing.

For legacy GCSEs:

At GCSE will require exam boards to provide:
  • two re-sit opportunities in relation to legacy GCSEs in English, English language and mathematics (including linked pair maths GCSEs – ‘applications of mathematics’ and ‘methods in mathematics’), one in November 2016 and one in summer 2017
  • a re-sit opportunity, no later than summer 2018, in all GCSE science and additional science qualifications they currently offer. Exam boards may decide to offer GCSEs in Biology, Chemistry and Physics but we will not require them to.

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...s-and-a-levels
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Not true, but most A*-G subjects do not have a re-sit opportunity after the last main entry so you would have to change to the new 9-1 specification in order to re-sit. (The only ones that did - Maths, English and Sciences - have already had them). It is possible to re-sit Maths and English Language in the Autumn and SUmmer and other subjects in the Summer.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't know about resits, but there are plenty of adult educational colleges that to fast track short courses from January to sit the exams again in June. It also depends on the grade you got in the previous exam.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Purdy7)
It also depends on the grade you got in the previous exam.
Any rules about who can re-sit based on previous grades are just ones made up by a school/college for their students but they do not apply to private candidates or at other centres.
jordanb-h
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
as far as legislation by law you have to resit your english language and maths until you pass and that is the only subjects that you can resit
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jordanb-h)
that is the only subjects that you can resit
In principle, you can re-sit any of them. It's just seldom worth the trouble for other subjects.
Purdy7
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Compost)
Any rules about who can re-sit based on previous grades are just ones made up by a school/college for their students but they do not apply to private candidates or at other centres.
It depends on funding. If you resit below a grade c then you may get at a vastly reduced price or free, however anything C or above you pay full price.

I think it's more council set rather then college, as the fees not paid (ie free courses to the student) come out of their education fund.
inwakwu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When you resit a subject such as English are you still able to get a grade such as level 9 or is it limited to a c
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by inwakwu)
When you resit a subject such as English are you still able to get a grade such as level 9 or is it limited to a c
The same range of grades is available to everyone, whether they are taking an exam for the first time of the 5th.
mjhmichael18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Compost)
In principle, you can re-sit any of them. It's just seldom worth the trouble for other subjects.
I am trying to resit my French exams for AQA but where is it possible? and how early can I do it? is it possible in January or is May the earliest it could possibly be done?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The only GCSEs available outside May/June are Maths and English Language which also run in November, so you'll have to wait until May. The entry deadline iat the exam board s 21 February but you'd need to sort it with an exam centre a fair bit before that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.59%
I'm not sure (52)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (551)
48.42%

Watched Threads