Turn on thread page Beta

Illustration / Art Universities watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I’m a college student and I’m really hoping to go on to study Illustration BA. I’m at the stage where I’m having to consider what universities to go to and I just keep on going in an endless circle! I’m in Cornwall, so my college isn’t linked to many the universities, so I’m really unsure as to what universities people have found they really liked. My local university, Falmouth, has recently been under a lot of backlash due to overcrowding and I don’t really get the right feel for it anyway.

Overall, I just really want to go to a university that will help me develop my skills but I feel like so many universities are very vague about what they offer and what they actually do. I have a chronic pain syndrome, so I also want to consider universities that are a lot of understanding for their students and hopefully good accommodation.

Has anyone been to any universities that they would recommend, or are thinking of going to? Any advice at all would be gladly taken! I’m currently thinking of Leeds Art university, Cardiff Metropolitan, Brighton University and Kingston University but I’m still very unsure. My predicted A levels are A,B,C/D (the grades reallys depend on how well I am health wise)
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RBudzinska)
    Hi there! I’m a college student and I’m really hoping to go on to study Illustration BA. I’m at the stage where I’m having to consider what universities to go to and I just keep on going in an endless circle! I’m in Cornwall, so my college isn’t linked to many the universities, so I’m really unsure as to what universities people have found they really liked. My local university, Falmouth, has recently been under a lot of backlash due to overcrowding and I don’t really get the right feel for it anyway.

Overall, I just really want to go to a university that will help me develop my skills but I feel like so many universities are very vague about what they offer and what they actually do. I have a chronic pain syndrome, so I also want to consider universities that are a lot of understanding for their students and hopefully good accommodation.

Has anyone been to any universities that they would recommend, or are thinking of going to? Any advice at all would be gladly taken! I’m currently thinking of Leeds Art university, Cardiff Metropolitan, Brighton University and Kingston University but I’m still very unsure. My predicted A levels are A,B,C/D (the grades reallys depend on how well I am health wise)
    If you have post in https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4986800 then the applicants for this year might be able to give you some thoughts. Assuming that you're in Yr 12 and will be applying next year (if you want to start in 2018 then your options might be a lot more limited as many courses closed on 15 January).

Anglia Ruskin and Arts University Bournemouth also have a good reputation for Illustration so might be worth a look.

If you can getting along to open days in May/June/July would be a good idea (depending on the times it might be possible to go on a round UK round trip )

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

I'm a year 13 student currently in the process of receiving offers and attending interviews for universities - to study Illustration. I applied to Brighton, Kingston, Leeds College of Art, Manchester School of Art and Edinburgh. Last week I went to two interviews at Leeds and Brighton, and previously had a Skype interview for Kingston, all of which I've had offers back from. I'm going to my Manchester interview on Wednesday so I'm not too sure about that one as much as I am the others but I can let you know what I found out during this process.

Quick note: every uni seemed to want BBC for grades or 112 UCAS points, apart from Edinburgh who wanted ABB.

Brighton is an amazing course but after going for the interview I realised the whole course is quite influenced by graphic design. Graphic design and illustration are encouraged to integrate and they share a studio space, come together for briefs, etc. One second year student there said she started on the graphics course and swapped over to illustration during her second year, saying that because the courses share so many similar aspects it wasn't hard to switch. However, Brighton is known to be one of the big Illustration courses, but I highly recommend trying to get down to see the campus as that informed me properly about the course content and the work the current students are producing. Seeing the work of former students gives you a taste of the sort of stuff they aim for when teaching their course, and I have to say there seemed to be a lot of graphic design work involved. I might be wrong, but that was the impression I got on the day. Keep in mind Brighton is also a brilliant place for someone to study art, and was originally one of the things that made me want to go so badly.

I'd never been to Leeds before my interview but it just seems to be a very big city, quite similar to Manchester. At the top of this hill is the university village sort of thing with all the different uni buildings and the arts campus was just amazing. Inside it's all bright and colourful and the tutors were all very passionate about creativity. The facilities look great, especially as it's a dedicated art school, so there's a broad range of things it has to offer. The course seems a lot more pure Illustration based, and they said at the interview that they aim to push you far out of your comfort zone so you can try as many new things as possible and then piece you back together as an illustrator, so you leave with a huge range of skills, not just the stuff you're comfortable with. Overall, it seems like a really good course and the campus + city seemed lovely.

Lastly, I'm going to visit Kingston in a few weeks but it's currently my first choice. Upon visiting Brighton for my interview they said that Kingston is apparently their main competition and overall the Illustration Animation course there seems to be highly recognised and praised. I heard very recently a few girls from the course won prestigious prizes, or something, and I know the art school has won/been involved with multiple competitions and prizes. The course is obviously a bit different because of the animation aspect but it seems to offer a brilliant range of career paths from it. The tutor that I've been in contact with is so lovely and passionate about the course and I just get nice vibes from it. It's so close to London, too, which is just a huge bonus, and apparently as a town itself it has a smaller but bubbling student life. But, of course, this is only what I've heard. If you want me to, I'll come back and let you know exactly how I feel after going to visit!

Personally, I think if you're able to you should definitely visit any options you have. Despite how cliché it can sound it's true when people say something 'clicks' when you go to a campus.

Sorry this was so long - hope it was of some help!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the late reply, my chronic pain syndrome has been getting the better of me!

Unfortunately I’ve been told that’s it’s probably not going to end out well if I go to universities up country as my health has been deteriorating very fast - so I guess that means I’m just going to have to look into universities that are a lot closer to home. Im kind of okay with that, as I’d rather put my health first than risk going to somewhere in a big city and find I can’t handle it so have to drop the course. Thank you for both of your help though!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 17, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.