Turn on thread page Beta

Boyfriend giving me painful eczema - please help! watch

Ive had eczema since I was 15, and I’m allergic to a number of things: eggs, milk, cats, dust, smoke and mould. My eczema has been mostly healed since I was 21. I control my allergies by avoiding things, using lush Dream Cream (which has been a lifesaver) and protopic when I have a flare up. I have been fine for years with quite rare flare ups.

I’ve been with my current boyfriend for 13 months. His house is quite dusty, has some mould and his roommates sometimes let in and feed the neighbours cat. Surprisingly, I had been staying at his apartment regularly since last April and had been absolutely fine. Sometimes I would have mild eczema but most times I’d be fine.

In October, the cat jumped in my boyfriend’s bed. Unfortunately I slept in the bed after, and the next day I had a horrific flare up - one of the worst I’ve ever had. I had bright red hot eczema all over my face, neck and shoulders and down my chest. And my eyelids were swollen, with stringy stuff coming out of my eyes. I also had itchy hives all over my arms.

Since then my eczema has been awful. I started to have flare ups almost every time I went to my boyfriend’s place, so I stopped going there and he’s started coming to mine instead.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have solved anything. Whenever my boyfriend and I sleep in the same bed, my eczema flares up really badly again and I get the swollen eyelids, hives all over my arms and extremely painful weeping eczema all over my face and neck. The flare ups last about 4 days and I have to use protopic and Lush dream cream to get it to calm down. I don’t flare up like this at all when he isn’t around.

he’s been washing his clothes in an allergen removing detergent and even has a set of pyjamas and clothes that are just for my house that don’t ever leave my place. We’ve ruled out his deodorant and cologne and that hasn’t made a difference. We’re at our wits end now because we can’t share a bed without me being in incredible pain for days afterwards. Antihistamines don’t work for me, so I just have to wait for the reaction to go away.

Breaking up isn’t an option for us - we really love each other. But we don’t know what to do so any help, advice or similar experiences would be amazing.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ive had eczema since I was 15, and I’m allergic to a number of things: eggs, milk, cats, dust, smoke and mould. My eczema has been mostly healed since I was 21. I control my allergies by avoiding things, using lush Dream Cream (which has been a lifesaver) and protopic when I have a flare up. I have been fine for years with quite rare flare ups.

I’ve been with my current boyfriend for 13 months. His house is quite dusty, has some mould and his roommates sometimes let in and feed the neighbours cat. Surprisingly, I had been staying at his apartment regularly since last April and had been absolutely fine. Sometimes I would have mild eczema but most times I’d be fine.

In October, the cat jumped in my boyfriend’s bed. Unfortunately I slept in the bed after, and the next day I had a horrific flare up - one of the worst I’ve ever had. I had bright red hot eczema all over my face, neck and shoulders and down my chest. And my eyelids were swollen, with stringy stuff coming out of my eyes. I also had itchy hives all over my arms.

Since then my eczema has been awful. I started to have flare ups almost every time I went to my boyfriend’s place, so I stopped going there and he’s started coming to mine instead.

Unfortunately it doesn’t seem to have solved anything. Whenever my boyfriend and I sleep in the same bed, my eczema flares up really badly again and I get the swollen eyelids, hives all over my arms and extremely painful weeping eczema all over my face and neck. The flare ups last about 4 days and I have to use protopic and Lush dream cream to get it to calm down. I don’t flare up like this at all when he isn’t around.

he’s been washing his clothes in an allergen removing detergent and even has a set of pyjamas and clothes that are just for my house that don’t ever leave my place. We’ve ruled out his deodorant and cologne and that hasn’t made a difference. We’re at our wits end now because we can’t share a bed without me being in incredible pain for days afterwards. Antihistamines don’t work for me, so I just have to wait for the reaction to go away.

Breaking up isn’t an option for us - we really love each other. But we don’t know what to do so any help, advice or similar experiences would be amazing.
    Is it the cat and he is simply contaminating himself before he comes over?

GP or eczema forums?

National Eczema helpline or forums?

Eczema Helpline on 0800 0891122 Monday to Friday 8 am to 8 pm Monday to Friday or email [email protected]

http://www.eczema.org/support-groups

http://www.eczema.org/helpline
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm really sorry to hear this. Could he maybe try showering at your place? Even if he washes before leaving, he could be bringing all of those allergens over to you from his place. Have you seen your GP or anyone about this recently? There may be something they can suggest/do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by xStevenHawkingx)
    Cut off the affected area.
    this is really unhelpful - if you're going to laugh at someone with a serious medical problem just get out of my thread.

ReputationRep:
    Get some steroid cream from your doctors, honestly a life saver. It sounds like your boyfriend needs to stop letting that cat in, he should explain the situation to his room mates and ask for the cat to not be let into the house.

I know how horrible eczema flare ups are, had it bad all my life. Prescription steroid cream really works well for me, gets rid of it in a few days and massively helps with the pain.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.