Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stress about applying for medicine.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic34)
    My advice to any medicine applicant in your position would be that please just let yourself be mentally and emotionally prepared to get 4 rejections - even though we hate to think about it, it's really important that you'll be able to pick yourself back up if it happens. If it is going to happen, it will happen and it can happen to any applicant!. It's important that you understand that getting 4 rejections the first time round is not the end and that you have an alternative plan set in route (Even if that alternative route is just to take a year out and reapply). I used to feel exactly the same way as you last year, I had no work experience in a hospital setting, I had only just started volunteering in a hospital and I was not dong great in my A level sciences. Now, after 4 medicine rejections this year, I feel closer to medicine than ever before (surprisingly). I have drastically improved my grades, have much more voluntary and work experience and am happy that for the rest of my duration of A levels I can just focus on getting the best grades I can get. Getting 4 medicine rejections is hard for anyone to deal with, and although there are many happy and positive replies to this thread, just remember that it is not the end if it happens! Not really sure if this helped relieve your stress but I think its really healthy that you are not going into medicine with the thought that you will get all your offers. Keep going and I am sure success will come to you, in some form or another
    This certainly has helped relieve my stress ! I’m in year 12 and hopefully apply for medicine if my UKCAT and predicted grades are good ! If you don’t mind me asking , what advice would you give in terms of applying for medicine?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nottie)
    (Sorry for multiple quote)

I come from a country that selects students bas3 on grades alone and guess what...the doctors are ****!
    They know how an MRI machine works but if they have to comfort a patient they are clueless. They will tell you 5th line treatment for epilepsy but won’t be able to explain the diagnosis to the patient correctly.
    Is that the kind of doctor you want? One that can read a textbook but not the person in front of them? Doctor that will discuss your menstrual problems loudly in an open area cause no one taught him about respecting patients dignity?
    Go to med school inEastern Europe, there’s nothing stopping you if you don’t like the UK system.

Furthermore, grades only approach will only work if you have more than 7 possible grades or else you will end up with 500 applicants all with A*A*A* for 100 places. How do you go from there? Would you feel happier if you didn’t get into med school by chance rather than by your lack of motivation?

And on a final note, how well you do at med school exams have little bearing on what kind of doctor you will be.
    I think that person just showed up to try to annoy people and isn't actually planning to continue further with their point 😂

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student_57)
    This certainly has helped relieve my stress ! I’m in year 12 and hopefully apply for medicine if my UKCAT and predicted grades are good ! If you don’t mind me asking , what advice would you give in terms of applying for medicine?
    Definitely apply to your strengths. Do your UKCAT in August so you have a good month to research where you should apply with the score you have. Don't put any unfair pressure on yourself, with your GCSEs a score of 630 or above should be enough to get you an interview if you are wise about where you apply. Avoid personal statement heavy universities as they are so subjective unless you are in a position where you have done badly on your UKCAT and have no other options.
    Most importantly, focus on growing your grades. It's no good getting offers and then not getting the AAA minimum. I know many people who have missed their grades and been rejected on results day and suspect it will happen to many others this year and in the future. If you get the grades you can always reapply even if you don't get offers so it should really be your priority to do as well as you can this year (and also so that you are given good predictions!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lmaoihategcses)
    Well, as the title says.. I’m stressed about applying for medicine. I have this feeling that I’m just not good enough and that all this effort is going to be for nothing and I’ll end up with 4 rejections at the end. My GCSEs were not bad, I got 7A* 1A and a B(in textiles). I’m currently doing Bio, Chem and German for A-levels. I’m in year 12 so obviously haven’t got predicted grades yet but I know my science a levels are going really tricky... and I still haven’t got voluntary work set in place yet (I contacted loads of care homes and only one replied, we are still sorting out details). I just feel so lost and disorganized and dumb. I keep getting distracted by messages, social media and friends.. I don’t do as much as I need to for medicine. And I just feel like everyone else applying for medicine actually has their **** together?

But yeah that’s my rant.. anyone else feel like this? Better yet, anyone else felt like this and got into medicine??
    Can't say I really felt that way when applying (ages ago), but tbh I can't really remember how I was feeling back then.
    I know I often got distracted with stuff when trying to revise and I really really struggled a lot with chemistry (barely passed the first test we had in the final year).

Even now I struggle with getting work done and felt like a dumb **** compared to other people in my year.

I think my advice to you will be to think about the future whenever you get distracted by social media. The grades you get now, your work experience....that will all count towards your medical goal and will get you the future you want for yourself.
    Think about it that way, what are you more likely to remember in the future years to come: your A in chemistry that got you into medicine or that youtube video you watched cause you really cba to revise? You might 'suffer' now, having to do revision instead of procrastination, but I promise you several years down the line, when you are working as a doctor, you will not remember how awful and demotivated you felt when you were in Year 12. Isn't that long term satisfaction of being a doctor worth more than few minutes of joy procrastinating on social media?

Good luck to you and remember that every single medical student or doctor were in your position before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futuremedic34)
    Definitely apply to your strengths. Do your UKCAT in August so you have a good month to research where you should apply with the score you have. Don't put any unfair pressure on yourself, with your GCSEs a score of 630 or above should be enough to get you an interview if you are wise about where you apply. Avoid personal statement heavy universities as they are so subjective unless you are in a position where you have done badly on your UKCAT and have no other options.
    Most importantly, focus on growing your grades. It's no good getting offers and then not getting the AAA minimum. I know many people who have missed their grades and been rejected on results day and suspect it will happen to many others this year and in the future. If you get the grades you can always reapply even if you don't get offers so it should really be your priority to do as well as you can this year (and also so that you are given good predictions!)
    Thank you so much ! Very useful piece of advice , I like your positivity and how it’s about being resilient too . If you didn’t get in the first time there’s always the next time ! So thank you and wish you all the best
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 21, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.