Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten offers from St Andrews and Durham and am currently struggling to decide between the two! I think I'm leaning more towards Durham because St Andrews seems so small & remote I'm a bit concerned there's not much to do there. Could anyone please offer advice/suggestions about either uni??

ReputationRep:
    What course?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    If size is an issue, then yes, go with Durham. St Andrews is a wee university town with ±8500 students; Durham has nearly double that. It's also quite remote and doesn't have its own train station (I stand to be corrected).

I have not studied at St Andrews, but as someone who has considered it in the past, I was put off by its size and location.

ReputationRep:
    Same dilemma, but gonna go with Durham due to 1) being connected to civilisation & 2) collegiate system

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkEnergy)
    Same dilemma, but gonna go with Durham due to 1) being connected to civilisation & 2) collegiate system
    Durham's colleges are accused of being glorified student halls, and I can see why. Besides have you got into a Bailey college?

St Andrews is not as isolated as people make out. its 30 mins from Dundee and 1.25 hours from Edinburgh. But the actual town is bustling with students who dominate it.

I have extensively explained Durham vs St Andrews in my previous threads as i had to choose between the 2 four years ago :P

the tl;dr is that St Andrews is one of the most international universities in the entire world - but not in the sense of Chinese students who don't integrate. For instance there is a huge American contingent, I've made friends for life with people from Houston, Seattle, LA, Toronto. But also lots of European kids who went to international schools in places like Singapore and Hong Kong. Many of my uni friends have welcomed me to stay at theirs during a break so lots of convenient places to travel!. Whereas Durham is more a straight classic British experience that is very nice too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Arthur 284)
    What course?
    Economics & psychology at St Andrews or combined honors in social sciences at Durham!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    Durham's colleges are accused of being glorified student halls, and I can see why. Besides have you got into a Bailey college?

St Andrews is not as isolated as people make out. its 30 mins from Dundee and 1.25 hours from Edinburgh. But the actual town is bustling with students who dominate it.

I have extensively explained Durham vs St Andrews in my previous threads as i had to choose between the 2 four years ago :P

the tl;dr is that St Andrews is one of the most international universities in the entire world - but not in the sense of Chinese students who don't integrate. For instance there is a huge American contingent, I've made friends for life with people from Houston, Seattle, LA, Toronto. But also lots of European kids who went to international schools in places like Singapore and Hong Kong. Many of my uni friends have welcomed me to stay at theirs during a break so lots of convenient places to travel!. Whereas Durham is more a straight classic British experience that is very nice too.

Ohh okay thats really good to know. I'll have a look at your previous threads cause im having a lot of trouble making a decision they both sound great! And no I've gotten into St Aidans which is a hill college. Ive also heard from a past student that St Andrews could sometimes be quite elitist and cliquey? Did you find that the case during your time there???

ReputationRep:
    hahaha yeah thats fair enough and the collegiate system sounds really great especially for meeting new people first year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user2902)
    Ohh okay thats really good to know. I'll have a look at your previous threads cause im having a lot of trouble making a decision they both sound great! And no I've gotten into St Aidans which is a hill college. Ive also heard from a past student that St Andrews could sometimes be quite elitist and cliquey? Did you find that the case during your time there???
    i've been asked what the worst thing about st andrews was and my answer was the reverse snobbery :P there is a rah clique in the same way as at school there was a geeky clique. they're not a threat, and actually for most people i met, it didn't feel 'private school' rather it felt more 'boarding school' if that makes sense, more people from small towns and villages rather than urban areas, except in Andrew Melville Hall!

ReputationRep:
    -
    The way friends who are at Durham (one at Hatfield College and one at University College) have described their experiences has made it sound like more than glorified student halls, which is something I was cautious of (heard people say the same about York). Obviously it's not Oxbridge levels of college importance but yeah I can understand how people may have varying experiences. I got Hatfield college.

I'm not too bothered about the international aspect in general tbh. I spent a few months at UCL which is quite international and in the worse kind imo as in a lot of people who barely speak English and don't want to integrate with other people, but it didn't bother me too much. Though it does seem good to have international connections.

Fair point on St Andrews not as being disconnected as typically made out.

ReputationRep:
    The way friends who are at Durham (one at Hatfield College and one at University College) have described their experiences has made it sound like more than glorified student halls, which is something I was cautious of (heard people say the same about York). Obviously it's not Oxbridge levels of college importance but yeah I can understand how people may have varying experiences. I got Hatfield college.

I'm not too bothered about the international aspect in general tbh. I spent a few months at UCL which is quite international and in the worse kind imo as in a lot of people who barely speak English and don't want to integrate with other people, but it didn't bother me too much. Though it does seem good to have international connections.

Fair point on St Andrews not as being disconnected as typically made out.
    isn't there an open day for Hatfield? I was asked if i wanted to sleepover one night at Van Mildert which i thought was weird but cool. be interested to know how you find Hatfield!

ReputationRep:
    isn't there an open day for Hatfield? I was asked if i wanted to sleepover one night at Van Mildert which i thought was weird but cool. be interested to know how you find Hatfield!
    Yeah there is, I could've done the residential but I'd rather just go for the day tbh, going on March 20th.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.