Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I want to start my Own TSR - need your help guys! watch

Hey, so anon cuz I dont wanna seem like a fool in case this is a stupid idea or whatever... so mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to another place as long as I remain anon, thank you

but I've wanting to create a social forum for many years now and I want to create something like TSR but for my own country.

One question is, how would I make money out of it? I understand it's going to be really costly; paying someone to create the forum, then having technicians keep spam away and delete negative comments, etc..

how can I make it a profitable business and get money out of it?

Thank you for your time guys

ReputationRep:
    Ads
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by starfab)
    Ads
    besides ads? Also, why would companies put their ads on my page if I just started out and not that popular...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    besides ads? Also, why would companies put their ads on my page if I just started out and not that popular...
    Lol, you could make them pay for each forum visit.
    Make them pay for fancy avatars - ones that are gifs, not images.
    Make them pay to create an account.
    Make them pay per month.
    Make them pay for coloured text in their name yada yada..

ReputationRep:
    Have people subscribe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    Make them pay per month.

no ones going to pay money to post on an unestablished forum

even if TSR started doing this they'd have a fraction of their current userbase start paying [and everyone else leave], let alone expecting people to start paying for a new forum

(Original post by starfab)
    Have people subscribe.
    can you elaborate on that please?

Make them pay per month.
    those are some great ideas thanks but most of them would either find a free alternative or not bother using those features

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANM775)

even if TSR started doing this they'd have a fraction of their current userbase start paying [and everyone else leave], let alone expecting people to start paying for a new forum

Think of it as setting up a distillery.
    You put some money in to build your company and eventually it'll pay out, probably.

It's a gamble to set up your site but it can become something huge like TSR/Reddit/4Chan, it can pay off though when you put ads on it when it's established.

(Original post by ANM775)

but TSR is really profitable .. they have their own office with people working there

Think of it as setting up a distillery.
    You put some money in to build your company and eventually it'll pay out, probably.

It's a gamble to set up your site but it can become something huge like TSR/Reddit/4Chan, it can pay off though when you put ads on it when it's established.
    in order for my forum to stand out, I need to do something different.. maybe link it to social media platforms, have people post pics and comment, have a like and unlike button like the old Facebook, have more forum categories, target a larger audience... I dunno to be honest

ReputationRep:
    but TSR is really profitable .. they have their own office with people working there

if tsr switched to a completely subscription based website i doubt they'd make ends meet.....

Hey, so anon cuz I dont wanna seem like a fool in case this is a stupid idea or whatever... so mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to another place as long as I remain anon, thank you

but I've wanting to create a social forum for many years now and I want to create something like TSR but for my own country.

One question is, how would I make money out of it? I understand it's going to be really costly; paying someone to create the forum, then having technicians keep spam away and delete negative comments, etc..

TSR is international.

Get a fricken job if you want money.

ReputationRep:

you could actually start your own forum without that much web knowledge.

tsr looks like they've built [coded] their own forum, most forums on the internet are not coded by their website owners, they pay a monthly fee or something to use/install a forum or they get a free to host forum and use it on their site

ReputationRep:
    Which country is this, incidentally?

ReputationRep:
    can you elaborate on that please?
    They pay to use certain features etc

(Original post by Tootles)
    TSR is international.

Get a fricken job if you want money.
    I do have a job, thank you very much. It's a side thing I've always wanted to do, like starting my own business.

(Original post by Molybdenum42)
    Which country is this, incidentally?
    Australia

ReputationRep:
    Its probably best to start making the forum by summer when people have exams so you can get good user activity

ReputationRep:
    As a software dev, I don't recommend this, unless you're doing it for fun.

Ideas and platforms that revolve around social interaction have to:
    1) Compete with many other very well established platforms
    2) Maintain high quality (at either a high cost, or high quality community)
    3) Attract users (why would anyone use your TSR over TSR?)
    4) Hold out until they have a large enough userbase to monetise
    5) By the time they have a large enough userbase, scaling considerations take place, and your costs go up as you start needing to support the growing userbase (eventually, you'll probably end up rolling a custom codebase)

The business model is not linear, and there's no profit until you have enough users to make it a valuable platform.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.