Turn on thread page Beta

I want to start my Own TSR - need your help guys! watch

(Original post by HateOCR)
    Its probably best to start making the forum by summer when people have exams so you can get good user activity
    great advice, thanks!

(Original post by Harjot)
    As a software dev, I don't recommend this, unless you're doing it for fun.

Ideas and platforms that revolve around social interaction have to:
    1) Compete with many other very well established platforms
    2) Maintain high quality (at either a high cost, or high quality community)
    3) Attract users (why would anyone use your TSR over TSR?)
    4) Hold out until they have a large enough userbase to monetise
    5) By the time they have a large enough userbase, scaling considerations take place, and your costs go up as you start needing to support the growing userbase (eventually, you'll probably end up rolling a custom codebase)

The business model is not linear, and there's no profit until you have enough users to make it a valuable platform.
    Thank you for this. I realize now that I have a lot more to consider
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey, so anon cuz I dont wanna seem like a fool in case this is a stupid idea or whatever... so mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to another place as long as I remain anon, thank you

but I've wanting to create a social forum for many years now and I want to create something like TSR but for my own country.

One question is, how would I make money out of it? I understand it's going to be really costly; paying someone to create the forum, then having technicians keep spam away and delete negative comments, etc..

how can I make it a profitable business and get money out of it?

Thank you for your time guys
    but TSR is really profitable .. they have their own office with people working there
    Because they have millions of users. Unless you have significant scale it 's hard to make money.

Also, using TSR to try to launch a competitor to TSR is probably not a great idea...

ReputationRep:
    I would say if you're starting this from the ground-up, you're gonna need Ads if you want to establish an initial income, because I don't think that anyone would pay subscription services for an established student forum. TSR is only where it is today after years of establishment, and a reputation developed, but was initially unestablished too.

Additionally, it depends on the educational vibe around your country, how academic the system is, etc, as HateOCR mentioned, try to cater to the target by making it open for pupils doing the most popular exams in your country, around their exam season.

I wouldn't say, especially for the purpose of this site, that you should make it for the primary purpose of getting revenue, sure revenue will come along the way if you make it good enough, but cannot be attained as the primary purpose of the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Also, using TSR to try to launch a competitor to TSR is probably not a great idea...

I've seen someone do this before on another forum successfully.

-The original forum admins stupidly didn't close down the topic/new forum talk
    -The new forum had more features
    -Moderator Status was promised to current high Popularity members as bait
    -People were generally unhappy with the current forum

A mass migration happened and the original forum almost died as a result.........

eventually the admin started banning talk of the new forum and auto censored the site's URL but by then it was too late, the forum was practically dead

I do have a job, thank you very much. It's a side thing I've always wanted to do, like starting my own business reinventing the wheel.
    Fixed it for you

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so anon cuz I dont wanna seem like a fool in case this is a stupid idea or whatever... so mods, if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move it to another place as long as I remain anon, thank you

but I've wanting to create a social forum for many years now and I want to create something like TSR but for my own country.

One question is, how would I make money out of it? I understand it's going to be really costly; paying someone to create the forum, then having technicians keep spam away and delete negative comments, etc..

how can I make it a profitable business and get money out of it?

Thank you for your time guys
    Tbf TSR is much more than a forum and I can only assume that they operated at a loss to begin with, plus there was probably a gap in the market for the site.
    Business is about risk, very few companies are rolling it to begin with, from a hairdresser's to supermarket, more people come as reputation grows.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.