Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So here’s a lot of random information from which i need advice.
    I’m in Year 11, and for the last 16 years I’ve been railing against my parents who, as doctors, think I should go into medicine. Literally until like October I was set on going into chemical engineering, but then all of a sudden I had this epiphany of actually wanting to go into medicine. Since about 2015 I’ve been heavy into the whole ‘I hate Jeremy Hunt and love the NHS don’t you dare hurt my precious NHS’ and the whole humanitarian thing with Amnesty International, to the point where people now identify me as ‘that girl who goes on about the NHS’. I realised that this really is something that I love, I do really enjoy helping people (and science, science is absolutely brilliant) and now I think it might be a bit late to get work experience bc there’s people I know who’ve been doing this stuff since year 9. I did a few days at the GPs before I had this epiphany bc I needed a placement for school and it was the closest thing available, and that also pushed me towards it- I got to observe minor operations but was mostly doing admin and giving stickers to kids getting the flu jab. I’m predicted 2 level 9s, 7 level 8s, a 7 and an A in add maths, and plan to take (atm) Bio Chem Maths and Further maths at a level, but am not sure if I should drop FM in favour of a relevant EPQ. Any advice?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's honestly amazing that you have such a strong sense of vocation for medicine: it is definitely not too late with the motivation you have at the moment
    Remember a medicine application is more than just long term work experience, it's about how and what you learn from it. It is also about reading good books (I'm sure your parents can recommend you a couple), and exploring the medical community (writing articles for medical magazines, talking to professionals)

FM is not the best A level for medicine, maybe physics if you really want a 4th subject (not necessary, but it helps with BMAT and some concepts)
    The most important thing about the A levels you choose for medicine though, is that you are certain that you can get A/A* in them.

If you do a weekly thing like volunteering for an afternoon or two in a care home, or help out at a social kitchen during a weekend for the first year of AS, that should be more than enough long term experience. It should also teach you about the "grittiness" of medical work: recording things in log books, talking to concerned people, constantly flashing a smile or a reassuring face...

If you need any advice, don't hesitate to contact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tremen222)
    It's honestly amazing that you have such a strong sense of vocation for medicine: it is definitely not too late with the motivation you have at the moment
    Remember a medicine application is more than just long term work experience, it's about how and what you learn from it. It is also about reading good books (I'm sure your parents can recommend you a couple), and exploring the medical community (writing articles for medical magazines, talking to professionals)

FM is not the best A level for medicine, maybe physics if you really want a 4th subject (not necessary, but it helps with BMAT and some concepts)
    The most important thing about the A levels you choose for medicine though, is that you are certain that you can get A/A* in them.

If you do a weekly thing like volunteering for an afternoon or two in a care home, or help out at a social kitchen during a weekend for the first year of AS, that should be more than enough long term experience. It should also teach you about the "grittiness" of medical work: recording things in log books, talking to concerned people, constantly flashing a smile or a reassuring face...

If you need any advice, don't hesitate to contact
    how much importance would a 4th subject have? Would it give you an edge in admissions?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I always wanted to be an engineer and chose A level Maths , Chemistry and Physics then the first day at sixth form I realised I can actually do Medicine and changed my subjects to bio , chem , Maths and German

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (3.1415926535))
    So here’s a lot of random information from which i need advice.
    I’m in Year 11, and for the last 16 years I’ve been railing against my parents who, as doctors, think I should go into medicine. Literally until like October I was set on going into chemical engineering, but then all of a sudden I had this epiphany of actually wanting to go into medicine. Since about 2015 I’ve been heavy into the whole ‘I hate Jeremy Hunt and love the NHS don’t you dare hurt my precious NHS’ and the whole humanitarian thing with Amnesty International, to the point where people now identify me as ‘that girl who goes on about the NHS’. I realised that this really is something that I love, I do really enjoy helping people (and science, science is absolutely brilliant) and now I think it might be a bit late to get work experience bc there’s people I know who’ve been doing this stuff since year 9. I did a few days at the GPs before I had this epiphany bc I needed a placement for school and it was the closest thing available, and that also pushed me towards it- I got to observe minor operations but was mostly doing admin and giving stickers to kids getting the flu jab. I’m predicted 2 level 9s, 7 level 8s, a 7 and an A in add maths, and plan to take (atm) Bio Chem Maths and Further maths at a level, but am not sure if I should drop FM in favour of a relevant EPQ. Any advice?
    Hello again- more detail, my school doesn’t offer AS levels, is that going to be a problem? And would an EPQ in philosophy or science be more important here? + how much importance is given to GCSEs? How much work experience do I need?

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.