Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    One of the points we need to know is:

Explain the importance of water potential and osmosis in the uptake of water by plants and its effects on plant and animal cells and tissues

I understand water moves from high water potential to low water potential in order to achieve an equilibrium but what are the effects on plant and animal cells?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya929)
    One of the points we need to know is:

Explain the importance of water potential and osmosis in the uptake of water by plants and its effects on plant and animal cells and tissues

I understand water moves from high water potential to low water potential in order to achieve an equilibrium but what are the effects on plant and animal cells?
    If the concentration of water is greater outside the cell this is a Hypotonic solution. The water will enter the cell and burst it. In plant cells the Cell Wall provides enough support that the cell just becomes big and is called Turgid. Plants that wilt do not have turgid cells.

If the cell is in a Hypertonic solution then the water will leave the cell as the concentration will be greater inside. Plant cells shrivel up within the cell wall and are said to be plasmolysed. Animal cells do not have the cell wall's support so are badly damaged.

If the cell is in an Isotonic solution then the concentration is the same and the rate of water movement across the membrane will be balanced.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a good explanation of Osmosis I found helpful: https://senecalearning.com/resources...gy/AQA/osmosis and it also includes the Osmosis required practical which is useful

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.