The Student Room Group

Hate Speech in the Daily Mail

Does anybody have any thoughts on the recent homophobic article published in the Daily Mail? Targeting same-sex parents, could constructing them as not normal and thus unnatural , and criticising the transformational surgery undertaken by a transgender person in the United States. I personally think this was completely inappropriate, as studies have shown having same-sex parents leaves the child with no disadvantages. Isn’t it time companies stop advertising in this scaremongering paper?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Richard Littlejohn is a waste of oxygen. There is simply no point in taking anything he writes seriously.
Original post by thoward7nrz
Does anybody have any thoughts on the recent homophobic article published in the Daily Mail? Targeting same-sex parents, could constructing them as not normal and thus unnatural , and criticising the transformational surgery undertaken by a transgender person in the United States. I personally think this was completely inappropriate, as studies have shown having same-sex parents leaves the child with no disadvantages. Isn’t it time companies stop advertising in this scaremongering paper?

The press should have the right to print hate speech if it wants to and it certainly should be able to print things like this. Doesn’t mean I agree with what’s written but they should be able to print it
Well, some women themselves have an issue with the rent-a-womb business line and it isn't necessarily a matter of hatred that moves them. They find it a bit undignified for a woman to act as a mere object, crossed out of that child's existence from birth. Child will always wonder about his biological mother, probably. It isn't necessarily a matter of hatred to talk about it, perhaps there is more of it from those who don't want it talked about.
Original post by Dez
Richard Littlejohn is a waste of oxygen. There is simply no point in taking anything he writes seriously.

Indeed, having read up on his background, it's unsurprising that he decided to take a potshot at two men holding up an ultrascan picture.
I personally think this was completely inappropriate, as studies have shown having same-sex parents leaves the child with no disadvantages.

Please feel free to provide any and all evidence of said studies.
Reply 6
Original post by limetang
The press should have the right to print hate speech if it wants to and it certainly should be able to print things like this. Doesn’t mean I agree with what’s written but they should be able to print it

You do know hate speech is illegal?
Reply 7
Original post by zhog
Well, some women themselves have an issue with the rent-a-womb business line and it isn't necessarily a matter of hatred that moves them. They find it a bit undignified for a woman to act as a mere object, crossed out of that child's existence from birth. Child will always wonder about his biological mother, probably. It isn't necessarily a matter of hatred to talk about it, perhaps there is more of it from those who don't want it talked about.

Nobody is asking for a ‘rent-a-womb’ service, same-sex couples can adopt? Also, what about same-sex females?
Reply 8
Original post by Less(e/o)n
Please feel free to provide any and all evidence of said studies.

There’s plenty out there.. I’m more interested in the studies against. Claiming it’s normal to be brought up by a biological mother and father. You know our ancestors used to hunt and parenting was often carried out by extended family members, or even just males or just females. Scary stuff.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/13/there-is-no-harm-caused-by-same-sex-parenting-studies-suggesting-otherwise-are-skewed

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/23/children-raised-by-same-sex-parents-do-as-well-as-their-peers-study-shows
Reply 9
Original post by So-Sarah
It was a good article, in fact same-sex marraige and adoption should be banned forthwith

You need to step into this century..

It shouldn't be in cases like this. That is the point.

Do you know what the word “should” means. I used it when I stated that the press “should” be allowed to do this, not that they are allowed to do this ....

.... unless of course you’re suggesting that because it’s illegal that means it should be illegal which is more than a little circular.
Where do you draw the line between hate speech and someone simply expressing an opinion you disagree with?
There’s plenty out there.. I’m more interested in the studies against. Claiming it’s normal to be brought up by a biological mother and father. You know our ancestors used to hunt and parenting was often carried out by extended family members, or even just males or just females. Scary stuff.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/13/there-is-no-harm-caused-by-same-sex-parenting-studies-suggesting-otherwise-are-skewed

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/oct/23/children-raised-by-same-sex-parents-do-as-well-as-their-peers-study-shows

There is of course a problem with any study that wishes to completely accurately compare same sex parents to straight parents. Same sex parents always (or at least, they’re much more likely to) choose to become parents than straight parents. The selective nature of same sex parenting is going to disroportionately produce parents who are more involved, dedicated etc. In their children’s lives. What we haven’t been able to say is, all other things being equal, is it better for a child to be brought up by same sex parents or straight parents?

The reality though is that the answer to this question doesn’t actually matter, because practically (possibly in part because same sex parenting selects for better parents innately) there isn’t a practical downside to same sex parenting.
Original post by CurlyBen
Where do you draw the line between hate speech and someone simply expressing an opinion you disagree with?

Just as importantly. How do you know that the arguments against same sex parenting, against trans people etc are wrong if you have never listened to them? How can anybody else know they’re wrong if you’ve banned them from being made?
The daily mail is a poor excuse for a newspaper, constantly criticising women's bodies and outfits.
Reply 16
It's called freedom of speech...
I don't even know what's the difference between hate speech and free speech, I see it like this these days
Hate speech = free speech
Reply 18
Original post by copycat321
The Satanic transgender agenda exists in order to reduce reproduction rates, especially amongst White people. It is another example of White Genocide.

The tin foil hat brigade are waging a new offensive i see.
Original post by CurlyBen

What are your thoughts? This piece attacks a minority, and represents them as unnatural and a threat to the upbringing of children. Is this not hateful?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest