The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

MSc Artificial Intelligence

I got an offer to study MSc Artificial Intelligence at St. Andrews for the year 2018/2019

I was wondering if anyone had any insights about the course and if you think it's worth it as I have been reading the Uni primarily focuses on undergraduate courses and other subjects, so I am not sure if it's a good choice or not.

I am an international student from Italy and I am about to graduate in a BSc in Engineering of Computing Systems

Thanks to everybody
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help :h:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by ingamedeo
I got an offer to study MSc Artificial Intelligence at St. Andrews for the year 2018/2019

I was wondering if anyone had any insights about the course and if you think it's worth it as I have been reading the Uni primarily focuses on undergraduate courses and other subjects, so I am not sure if it's a good choice or not.

I am an international student from Italy and I am about to graduate in a BSc in Engineering of Computing Systems

Thanks to everybody

Hiya, I just graduated from St A. Although I'm in Maths, I've had a fair amount of experience with the CS department and I know that the AI research and PhDs they have going are really cutting edge. The CS department is very dedicated to research and I've been very impressed with the opportunities their students get to be involved with, if they're keen.

Whilst St A does have a skew towards undergrads in their student numbers compared to other UK research intensive unis, they tend not to be 'undergrad focused' as a faculty (at least not in CS and Maths). The MSc courses are all incredible and filled with extremely passionate lecturers who get to teach about their area of expertise. My own experience as an undergrad has been great, but the research I've done in my own time with the Maths department, and the MSc modules I've taken, have been completely different, and in many ways better - Given what I've seen of the CS department, I imagine the MSc in AI will be very well structured and taught, and certainly not second best to the resources the department is looking to provide to undergrads.

I apologise that I don't know anyone doing / that has done the MSc in AI to give you more first hand experience. I hope this post is somewhat helpful nonetheless!
Reply 3
Original post by penguinstudent
Hiya, I just graduated from St A. Although I'm in Maths, I've had a fair amount of experience with the CS department and I know that the AI research and PhDs they have going are really cutting edge. The CS department is very dedicated to research and I've been very impressed with the opportunities their students get to be involved with, if they're keen.

Whilst St A does have a skew towards undergrads in their student numbers compared to other UK research intensive unis, they tend not to be 'undergrad focused' as a faculty (at least not in CS and Maths). The MSc courses are all incredible and filled with extremely passionate lecturers who get to teach about their area of expertise. My own experience as an undergrad has been great, but the research I've done in my own time with the Maths department, and the MSc modules I've taken, have been completely different, and in many ways better - Given what I've seen of the CS department, I imagine the MSc in AI will be very well structured and taught, and certainly not second best to the resources the department is looking to provide to undergrads.

I apologise that I don't know anyone doing / that has done the MSc in AI to give you more first hand experience. I hope this post is somewhat helpful nonetheless!

Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately it's too late... I have already rejected my offer to study at St. Andrews for the next academic year.

I will be continuing my studies here in Italy for another year and then pursue a Master's at UIC @ Chicago for another year.

Thank you anyways

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending