Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The govt wants to reduce the cost of humanities degrees and make STEM ones more expensive by comparison.

Do you think that is a good idea?

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ns-theresa-may

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    The govt wants to reduce the cost of humanities degrees and make STEM ones more expensive by comparison.

Do you think that is a good idea?
    That's an awful idea imho. STEM degrees should be cheaper as they are generally more important other choices. Reducing the cost will make them more favourable and therefore the intake of students be greater.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. The country already has too many physicists and needs more sociologists.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    I’m inclined to say yes here, because these are courses that often cost more to run and so forth. However since these are often the more vital jobs in society, either it may be lowered due to simply being high demand or universities/companies run schemes or something that ensures these courses don’t exclude people because of cost.
    Degrees that are not as good should by my logic should cost less, but it’s still an option for people
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfolobus)
    Absolutely. The country already has too many physicists and needs more sociologists.
    Completely agree fo' sure
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    History students shouldn't have to subsidise the cost of a biomedical science degree.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    On the one hand, I can see the argument- an English Lit degree is obviously cheaper to run than a Bio Sciences one. The science students generally get more contact hours and more use of very expensive facilities.

However, they're not talking about upping the costs of expensive degrees, they're talking about reducing the costs of less expensive ones. Humanities students still use facilities, get teaching hours, use admin staff and support staff, have access to online resources, need the lights on, want the uni toilets to be cleaned etc, etc, so I doubt the true cost of their degree is hugely less than £9000. If universities published the actual cost of running these degrees, I think a lot of people would be shocked.

I also think uni fees are much more off putting to those from poorer backgrounds and people who are the first in their family to go to uni. It would be terrible to enact a policy that put people from these backgrounds off from studying a STEM subject. Unis need to be encouraging wider participation in these degrees, not reducing it!

In general, as a country, we need people going into STEM degrees. Physics, for example, is not a hugely popular degree, and I think one of the long term consequences of that is the shortage of physics teachers in this country- so it becomes a self perpetuating cycle. We need the people who will go on to make medical and technological advances as a country- we shouldn't be putting them off at 17. What's the biggest contribution a classics graduate can make to society? Become a cabinet minister?

Finally, it's often the STEM departments which attract the big money grants at universities, and these are what leads to world class research and teaching in an institution. However, if the staff are even more focused on getting grants, teaching will suffer. Equally, if the cost of a humanities/arts degree goes down, I would expect (some?) unis to cram even more students in, reduce contact time to the very bare minimum, and remove much of the small group teaching. They've got to balance their books somehow.

I can see the argument- Maybe the Tories (to take their ideology to its natural conclusion) should remove the cap on fees, and see what students are willing to pay. Currently, students must think an arts degree is worth £27,000 in debt, because they are still applying for them.

I would be interested to know what say, history, English or law costs to run per student at an average university.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not, we should be encouraging people to take degrees that will benefit society to a greater extent. The cost is high enough as it is, we don't want to put even more people off.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    http://epigram.org.uk/news/2014/11/i...cience-degrees might be of interest to some people on this thread.

I wonder if charging less would actually lead to a devaluing of art/humanities degrees in the UK though. They're already valued as less than STEM by many people, when they do have value and can lead to lucrative careers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.