The Student Room Group

Triplets - Student Finance

Hi! I'm a mum of triplets, all hoping to go to (separate!) universities in Sept 2018. Has anyone any advice about setting the Student Finance in progress - as you can imagine I'm terrified of the financial implications of making a mistake! I heard that you have to link each student's account to the parents' account in order to get some kind of 'disregard'. Do you have to link each triplet's account to her sisters' accounts too? Any advice warmly received ... desperate, PLEASE!
Original post by wood833
Hi! I'm a mum of triplets, all hoping to go to (separate!) universities in Sept 2018. Has anyone any advice about setting the Student Finance in progress - as you can imagine I'm terrified of the financial implications of making a mistake! I heard that you have to link each student's account to the parents' account in order to get some kind of 'disregard'. Do you have to link each triplet's account to her sisters' accounts too? Any advice warmly received ... desperate, PLEASE!

Hi wood833,

If your children are planning to go to university in 2018/19 and the courses start from September 2018 onwards applications are now available.
You will be able to register an account online as a sponsor to support an application. Once your children have submitted their applications online you can link yourself to each student that you wish to support online and enter your income details. (You will only have to enter to income details once).

When there is more than one student from the same household in higher education we will deduct £1130 for each additional student from the total amount of household income declared.This is known as a 'Disregard'.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 2
Original post by Louise E SFE
Hi wood833,

If your children are planning to go to university in 2018/19 and the courses start from September 2018 onwards applications are now available.
You will be able to register an account online as a sponsor to support an application. Once your children have submitted their applications online you can link yourself to each student that you wish to support online and enter your income details. (You will only have to enter to income details once).

When there is more than one student from the same household in higher education we will deduct £1130 for each additional student from the total amount of household income declared.This is known as a 'Disregard'.

Thanks

Louise
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you, Louise, that's so helpful.

Can you confirm therefore. £30,414 (our household income for 2016/17), less 1,130 (triplet 2), less 1,130 (triplet 3) = £28,154. If I put this into the HMRC Student Maintenance Loan calculator, it gives an out-of-London (away from home) Maintenance Loan of £8,307 and a London (away from home) Maintenance Loan of £10,954.

Question 1: Therefore, is the parental contribution calculated as follows (eg for out of London) 8,700 less 8,307 = £393 p.a. per child??

Question 2: Sheffield Uni (for example) give bursaries based on household income. Should I quote them a household income of £30,414 (giving a £500 bursary), or explain about the disregard and give them the household income figure of £28,154, giving a bursary of £1,000?

I promise those are my only two questions!!!
Original post by wood833
Thank you, Louise, that's so helpful.

Can you confirm therefore. £30,414 (our household income for 2016/17), less 1,130 (triplet 2), less 1,130 (triplet 3) = £28,154. If I put this into the HMRC Student Maintenance Loan calculator, it gives an out-of-London (away from home) Maintenance Loan of £8,307 and a London (away from home) Maintenance Loan of £10,954.

Question 1: Therefore, is the parental contribution calculated as follows (eg for out of London) 8,700 less 8,307 = £393 p.a. per child??

Question 2: Sheffield Uni (for example) give bursaries based on household income. Should I quote them a household income of £30,414 (giving a £500 bursary), or explain about the disregard and give them the household income figure of £28,154, giving a bursary of £1,000?

I promise those are my only two questions!!!

Hi wood833,

Student Finance will assess the Maintenance Loan entitlement based on the family circumstances . Student's living away from home and studying and living in London receive a higher rate due to London living costs. Student finance would pass the household income details to the university for the purposes of the bursary, so you would not be required to provide this information.

Thanks

Louise
Reply 5
So please can you tell me ...which figure would Student Finance give to the university? our household income figure (£30,414), or the ADJUSTED figure, which takes into account 3 at university (i.e. £28,154)?
Original post by wood833
So please can you tell me ...which figure would Student Finance give to the university? our household income figure (£30,414), or the ADJUSTED figure, which takes into account 3 at university (i.e. £28,154)?

Hi wood833,

The university would have access to the adjusted figures taking into account the disregard that Student Finance would have used to assess the application .

Thanks

Louise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending