Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am just wondering how everyone usually goes about finding people to interview for their research papers? Also, is it normal to pay for interviews? Any information would be appreciated!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by laurenemms)
    I am just wondering how everyone usually goes about finding people to interview for their research papers? Also, is it normal to pay for interviews? Any information would be appreciated!
    It is difficult. Advertise in places that your target audience are likely to see the adverts. It helps to pay people or give them some sort of incentive such as cover travel expenses, chocolate or enter them into a prize draw. It depends on what you're doing, what sort of involvement they need to have, how sensitive the info they're giving you is and how much of their time you need.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi Lauren,

When I had to find participants for a research project during my undergrad, I was tasked with sourcing participants within other schools at my university. I ended up offering money to participants - I offered £5 for an hour of their time. However, I only did this because I did not have to interview many people.

The other successful trick I used was asking the admin teams of schools I needed students from to circulate information about my research to students; this is something you could try, if your research involves interviewing other students.

The common practice I see at UEA is A4 posters pinned on boards around campus (in SU buildings, different school lounges etc.) with several strips cut into the bottom of the sheet for people to rip off and keep, containing important information about when/where the study is. Make sure the poster catches people's eye, or else they won't read it!

Best of luck tracking down those interviewees!

Fred - UEA PG Rep
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by laurenemms)
    Hi,

It depends on your research design and nature etc.
    I once used "snowball sampling" method. This started with my own connection or acquaintances and I asked them to introduce me to their friends.

Some friends in food sensory projects advertised by using a leaflet or a social media post with their University email in it. I saw an old advertisement in a newspaper in a cupboard in my PhD office from the 90s to recruit participants.

If your research is about consumers who buy food at a supermarket you might want to, for example, recruit people who are shopping at a supermarket? That why I mentioned it really depends on your research. You can find example how people recruit participants in the literature or published articles.

Some give away £5, £10, or £100, it really depends on your budget and how difficult the survey/ interview is or how long it takes etc. Some might give away coupons from, for example, Amazon or a supermarket etc.

Good luck and have fun!

Prau
    3rd year PhD students, Agricultural and Food Economics
    University of Reading

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of East Anglia PG Student Rep)
    Hi Lauren,

When I had to find participants for a research project during my undergrad, I was tasked with sourcing participants within other schools at my university. I ended up offering money to participants - I offered £5 for an hour of their time. However, I only did this because I did not have to interview many people.

The other successful trick I used was asking the admin teams of schools I needed students from to circulate information about my research to students; this is something you could try, if your research involves interviewing other students.

The common practice I see at UEA is A4 posters pinned on boards around campus (in SU buildings, different school lounges etc.) with several strips cut into the bottom of the sheet for people to rip off and keep, containing important information about when/where the study is. Make sure the poster catches people's eye, or else they won't read it!

Best of luck tracking down those interviewees!

Fred - UEA PG Rep
    Thank you for your reply! I was wondering if paying crossed any reliability issues but I suppose it depends on the subject. What were you studying when you did your research project? I am currently looking for international sources (particularly people living in Japan). I suppose Facebook and LinkedIn will have to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReadingPG)
    Hi,

It depends on your research design and nature etc.
    I once used "snowball sampling" method. This started with my own connection or acquaintances and I asked them to introduce me to their friends.

Some friends in food sensory projects advertised by using a leaflet or a social media post with their University email in it. I saw an old advertisement in a newspaper in a cupboard in my PhD office from the 90s to recruit participants.

If your research is about consumers who buy food at a supermarket you might want to, for example, recruit people who are shopping at a supermarket? That why I mentioned it really depends on your research. You can find example how people recruit participants in the literature or published articles.

Some give away £5, £10, or £100, it really depends on your budget and how difficult the survey/ interview is or how long it takes etc. Some might give away coupons from, for example, Amazon or a supermarket etc.

Good luck and have fun!

Prau
    3rd year PhD students, Agricultural and Food Economics
    University of Reading
    Thanks so much for your reply! You're right - it totally depends on the research. Right now I'm looking for internationally located participants so unfortunately its quite tricky. I think social media probably is the best way to go. I think I'll try to get in contact with some universities out there and see if they can push me in the right direction. Thank you again

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.