Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Most likely, I will be putting UCL as my firm choice and hopefully starting in September 2018. I’m a bit worried about accomodation though. I’ve read tons of other threads about accomodation and most say that Ramsay is super social (which becides distance to the uni is a main factor for me). However I really really like the look of Connaught Hall and Garden Halls and the idea of meeting other UoL students appeals hugely to me. My question is: does going to an intercollegiate hall exclude you from UCL activities? As in, is it more difficult to feel integrated or is it okay?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Lam111)
    Hi. Most likely, I will be putting UCL as my firm choice and hopefully starting in September 2018. I’m a bit worried about accomodation though. I’ve read tons of other threads about accomodation and most say that Ramsay is super social (which becides distance to the uni is a main factor for me). However I really really like the look of Connaught Hall and Garden Halls and the idea of meeting other UoL students appeals hugely to me. My question is: does going to an intercollegiate hall exclude you from UCL activities? As in, is it more difficult to feel integrated or is it okay?
    You'll be fine. London is a big place and yes there will be mixing but there's nothing to stop you from doing UCL stuff mainly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Unfortunately with UCL you don't get to choose which halls you're allocated to. You're given a form and you put down preferences like close to uni or en-suite and they allocate you to somewhere (and often without acknowledging your preferences)

ReputationRep:
    I hold an unconditional offer for UCL, and I want to apply for accommodation. But when I sign into the accommodation application portal, I only get alternatives for 2017/18.
    Is it possible to apply for accommodation yet?

Does anyone know why the website says the Ramsay Hall and the Ian Baker House is closed for 2018/19?
    http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...sidences/halls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dddjo)
    I hold an unconditional offer for UCL, and I want to apply for accommodation. But when I sign into the accommodation application portal, I only get alternatives for 2017/18.

Does anyone know why the website says the Ramsay Hall and the Ian Baker House is closed for 2018/19?

I have the same question too! I'm kinda worried now as I really wish to get it done earlier so that I can concentrate on my studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forevajellie)
    I have the same question too! I'm kinda worried now as I really wish to get it done earlier so that I can concentrate on my studies
    Hi! I checked and the accommodation application for 2018/19 is open now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseholidays)
    Hi! I checked and the accommodation application for 2018/19 is open now.
    yea I just realised and was about to write here (I haven't checked it for some time) but thanks anyway

ReputationRep:
    UCL says that all the applications made before the deadline will be treated equally, but can anyone please tell me whether this applies to the intercollegiate halls too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dddjo)

Yes Ramsay is shut for 2018, I’m trying to work out which I would prefer too

ReputationRep:
    I went to a flat party at Connaught intercollegiate halls and it was the most un-lit party I've ever been to.

There were like 3 people trying to have a good time, the rest were international students in their onesies with a guitar singing songs about home.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the consenus is that intercollegiate halls are fairly terrible

Better to stick with the UCL halls. Fewer (and more sociable) internationals will live there. You're also more likely to find people with whom you share a course/society etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    I went to a flat party at Connaught intercollegiate halls and it was the most un-lit party I've ever been to.

There were like 3 people trying to have a good time, the rest were international students in their onesies with a guitar singing songs about home.
    Ahh I see. I've heard similar things to your story about intercollegiates in general, so I'l definitely keep it in mind when deciding. Cheers for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    I think that the consenus is that intercollegiate halls are fairly terrible

Better to stick with the UCL halls. Fewer (and more sociable) internationals will live there. You're also more likely to find people with whom you share a course/society etc.
    Thanks for your advice! I liked the sound of Ramsay as it is close to the uni and catered, but it says for 2018/19 it's closed I'll have another look on the website for other options. Thanks again!!!

University open days

1. UCL
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.