Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have offers from both to do Chemical Engineering MEng with a year in industry. However, I cannot decide between them.

Any thoughts?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Some_Bloke)
    I have offers from both to do Chemical Engineering MEng with a year in industry. However, I cannot decide between them.

Any thoughts?
    Either will be a good choice. Do you preferred the course at one or the other?

Have you visited both? The locations/cities are quite different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Either will be a good choice. Do you preferred the course at one or the other?

Have you visited both? The locations/cities are quite different.
    The courses are very similar. The cities on the other hand are quite different. Nottingham is a more traditional city whereas Bath is smaller and a bit more historic. I think I'm swaying towards Bath a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is a Russel group so if you are at al interested in research I’d go there
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by math24601)
    Nottingham is a Russel group so if you are at al interested in research I’d go there
    Bath is a research centre too. RG is just a lobby group, it's not an indicator of teaching quality or of research quality.

And, not that it matters much to an undergraduate, Bath is ranked above Nottingham for ChemEng in REF.

https://www.timeshighereducation.co..../sub-14-01.pdf
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Some_Bloke)

Any thoughts?
    Tough choice. Both have really good engineering faculties with excellent graduate prospects...

The only thing I see differentiating the two right now is the rent prices. Bath is extremely expensive compared to Nottingham.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi! It's great to hear that you're considering Bath!

I'm a first year chemical engineering student here at the University of Bath. Obviously it's difficult for me to give you any information about Nottingham but I will try and give you as much information about Bath to help you make an informed decision!

My first advice would be to make sure you attend the applicant days for both departments - this will give you a good insight into both universities and courses.

In terms of the courses, chemical engineering does not vary much between unis because in order to be accredited, they must teach certain things. However, have a look into the modules taught on each course. A large factor that made me choose Bath was the option to study biology related chemical engineering applications, which is an area that interests me.

In my first year, I have 11-15 contact hours a week. This is mostly lectures and we have 6 labs throughout the year. We also have tutorials with our personal tutor, in which we tend to learn "soft" skills.

Bath is a campus university with the majority of accommodation on campus and a few buildings in the heart of the city. I personally love this about Bath - it is really convenient in your first year to live on campus, only a 5/10 minute walk from lectures and everything you need. This gives the university a great community feel when walking around campus. Bath also has only of the safest campuses and you can definitely feel that that is the case when you are here. The campus is about a 15 minute bus journey from the city centre and the uni bus runs 24/7 during term time.

The city of Bath itself is a lovely place to live. Although not the biggest, there is a lot to do here. We have many clubs and pubs in the city, as well as the Student Union club, which has 2 club nights a week. There's plenty to do in terms of nightlife and Bristol is only a very short train journey away if you fancy a change of scene. The city is a World Heritage site and there are lots of cultural activities to do. The high street is a lively place to be and there are lots of shops. It was the size and safeness of Bath that I found really appealing as somewhere to live for the next 5 years!

The University of Bath has recently been named the UK's top sports university in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018. There are lots of sporting options available, whether you are a high calibre professional athlete or just looking to try something new. The sports facilities are extensive and are of high quality. They are available for all students to use - all students get free access to the sports courts and the 50m Olympic legacy swimming pool. There are many student sports groups to get involved with. I was not particularly sporty before I came to uni but I have really embraced the opportunities on offer here!

I hope that was helpful! If you have any questions about the University of Bath or chemical engineering, please do let me know

Leah
    1st Year Chemical Engineering
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by University of Bath)
    In terms of the courses, chemical engineering does not vary much between unis because in order to be accredited, they must teach certain things.
    This is not entirely true, many universities will fulfil the accreditation requirements by the end of second year or sometimes earlier, and so there is a lot of room for variety between different courses.

In my first year, I have 11-15 contact hours a week. This is mostly lectures and we have 6 labs throughout the year. We also have tutorials with our personal tutor, in which we tend to learn "soft" skills.
    For context, this is not many contact hours for a first year engineering course, and most will have double this if not slightly more. I would assume this is similar for ChemE.

From the time I've spent in Bath visiting my friends who study there, I can concur that it's a fantastic place to be in, and it feels a lot bigger than what you would expect for a city with such a small population.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi guys,

While I can't really speak for Nottingham, having only been there once, I can vouch for the fact that Bath is a beautiful but small city where everything is within easy reach. If you're at all concerned that Bath is too small, Bristol is very close and a train from Bath Spa to Bristol Temple Meads takes just 12 minutes and is very reasonably priced. This gives you the benefits of living in a small, attractive and comparatively safe city but with a much larger, different feeling city practically on your doorstep; there is even a cycle path (Bristol-Bath Railway Path), which offers an attractive, relatively flat route from the centre of Bath right into Bristol and both Bath universities offer discounted/free use of the 'nextbike' scheme so you don't even need your own bike (plus there are some nice riverside pubs en route so that always helps!).

Good luck with whichever choice you make.

Scott
    Avon Studios, Bath

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2018
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.