Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I realised how much I want to go Cambdrige when I went to an open day last summer . But I was very demotivated since I feel I’m not good enough . I want to do medicine and this new gol has made me work so hard . I’m the only one in the year group to get A*/A at Every assessment and mocks . What is really unmotivating and stressful is that I won’t have a chance at Cambridge because of my very very average gcse . I only got 2A* and rest Area mixture of A and B with a cheeky C in art ( on mark off a B.

Right now I’m working very hard . I am volunteering , I’m about to apply for work experience , I’m part of a medicine programme for sixth form , I go to seminars . I am working my butt off but I feel like like I will not get there .

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak specifically for Medicine but I wouldn't give up hope just yet! I don't know much about the grade requirements for Oxbridge (sorry!) but apparently, Cambridge are more lenient when it comes to GCSEs. Your GCSE grades aren't as high as the typical Oxbridge requirement, sure, but they're more than just 'average'. Like I said, I don't know much about Oxbridge or Medicine so I don't want to fill you with false hope, but you seem to be compensating for your GCSE grades by working extremely hard, which is obviously great! You've got volunteering experience, good assessment grades (indicating a good work ethic), applying for work experience and a place in a medicine programme so you've definitely got that extracurricular stuff to back you up. I'd say go for it and see what happens! Don't give up or underestimate yourself because of your GCSE grades; there are many parts of the application process so they're not the 'be all end all'.

Just to be sure though, I'd talk to fellow Medicine applicants/Oxbridge students as they should have more info.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Know Your Enemy)
    I can't speak specifically for Medicine but I wouldn't give up hope just yet! I don't know much about the grade requirements for Oxbridge (sorry!) but apparently, Cambridge are more lenient when it comes to GCSEs. Your GCSE grades aren't as high as the typical Oxbridge requirement, sure, but they're more than just 'average'. Like I said, I don't know much about Oxbridge or Medicine so I don't want to fill you with false hope, but you seem to be compensating for your GCSE grades by working extremely hard, which is obviously great! You've got volunteering experience, good assessment grades (indicating a good work ethic), applying for work experience and a place in a medicine programme so you've definitely got that extracurricular stuff to back you up. I'd say go for it and see what happens! Don't give up or underestimate yourself because of your GCSE grades; there are many parts of the application process so they're not the 'be all end all'.

Just to be sure though, I'd talk to fellow Medicine applicants/Oxbridge students as they should have more info.
    Thank you .

Do you happen to know any medicine applicant / Oxbridge student in TSR I’m still new to this plataform

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelloImCool)
    Thank you .

Do you happen to know any medicine applicant / Oxbridge student in TSR I’m still new to this plataform
    Unfortunately not. I'd love to tag people who are better informed than I am, but I don't know any particular Medicine/Oxbridge applicants. Sorry about that.

ReputationRep:
    I realised how much I want to go Cambdrige when I went to an open day last summer . But I was very demotivated since I feel I’m not good enough . I want to do medicine and this new gol has made me work so hard . I’m the only one in the year group to get A*/A at Every assessment and mocks . What is really unmotivating and stressful is that I won’t have a chance at Cambridge because of my very very average gcse . I only got 2A* and rest Area mixture of A and B with a cheeky C in art ( on mark off a B.

Right now I’m working very hard . I am volunteering , I’m about to apply for work experience , I’m part of a medicine programme for sixth form , I go to seminars . I am working my butt off but I feel like like I will not get there .
    Hey I applied to Cambridge for medicine and i even got an interview (was rejected because I found the interview hard) but yeah you have very good assessment grades right now and they like that because it shows that you have shown progression.
    (Told at a medical sciences summer school)

Also they look at your application holistically so they look at everything: personal statement, reference, BMAT score, which school you go/went to etc, so I wouldn’t be worried about your GCSE grades.

I say definitely go for it and Cambridge tend to interview a lot of their applicants so you have a shot.

I would say just prepare well for your BMAT, it really does help in increasing your chances of getting an interview if you have a good bmat score, if you’re worried.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielaprice123)
    Hey I applied to Cambridge for medicine and i even got an interview (was rejected because I found the interview hard) but yeah you have very good assessment grades right now and they like that because it shows that you have shown progression.
    (Told at a medical sciences summer school)

Also they look at your application holistically so they look at everything: personal statement, reference, BMAT score, which school you go/went to etc, so I wouldn’t be worried about your GCSE grades.

I say definitely go for it and Cambridge tend to interview a lot of their applicants so you have a shot.

I would say just prepare well for your BMAT, it really does help in increasing your chances of getting an interview if you have a good bmat score, if you’re worried.
    Thanks im much less worried now. Well done to getting so far ! and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks im much less worried now. Well done to getting so far ! and good luck
    No worries good luckk!

ReputationRep:

With good predicted grades and GCSE results like that, you definitely have a good chance to get an interview at Cambridge. Medicine is one of the harder courses to get in for though so you'll need to keep up with the seminars and hard work.

You have five options so make sure that the other four are all places that you'd actually want to go.

I'd definitely say that it's worth applying for Cambridge! The worst case scenario is that you don't get in which is the same end result as not applying in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    All medical applicants have volunteering work, work experience, and majority are in sixth form medicine programmes (not important)

You just need to do exceptionallly good in your A level mocks, get excellent predictions, and most importantly exceed in your BMAT & UKCAT.

As an aspiring medical applicant to Oxbridge, who recieved 3 9s, 7 A*s, (& a 98% scholarship to Harrow school) currently volunteering, already done work experience placements, and have arranged many more; the competition is very dominant and lethal. In addition to already entering cambridge essay competitions, representing my school in the RSC analyst chemistry competition, applied for a Nuffield Research placement, part of my schools medicine society etc. However it is down to BMAT scores and interview performance. Considering, the average Oxbridge applicant has 11A*s, and meet the minimum requirements in volunterring/work experience etc. The interviews are really a determining factor, it is a make or break situation.

Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science99999)
    All medical applicants have volunteering work, work experience, and majority are in sixth form medicine programmes (not important)

You just need to do exceptionallly good in your A level mocks, get excellent predictions, and most importantly exceed in your BMAT & UKCAT.

As an aspiring medical applicant to Oxbridge, who recieved 3 9s, 7 A*s, (& a 98% scholarship to Harrow school) currently volunteering, already done work experience placements, and have arranged many more; the competition is very dominant and lethal. In addition to already entering cambridge essay competitions, representing my school in the RSC analyst chemistry competition, applied for a Nuffield Research placement, part of my schools medicine society etc. However it is down to BMAT scores and interview performance. Considering, the average Oxbridge applicant has 11A*s, and meet the minimum requirements in volunterring/work experience etc. The interviews are really a determining factor, it is a make or break situation.

Best of luck
    Thanks.
    The chances might be slim but ill still take them . Ive also applied for the Nuffield placement . I wish my school gave this kind of competitions and societies .
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Thanks.
    The chances might be slim but ill still take them . Ive also applied for the Nuffield placement . I wish my school gave this kind of competitions and societies .
    Tbf doing a Nuffield Placement at Harrow is so damn easy, considering we have connections with all the London universities, and we provide labs with professors on site. Same with DofE, our skill can be a range of activites the school offers, sports (easy), community service (Shaftesbury enterprise) and residential (NCS).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science99999)
    Tbf doing a Nuffield Placement at Harrow is so damn easy, considering we have connections with all the London universities, and we provide labs with professors on site. Same with DofE, our skill can be a range of activites the school offers, sports (easy), community service (Shaftesbury enterprise) and residential (NCS).
    Lucky you I guess. I literally have to break my back to find good opportunities since I live in a very little town . Anything for medicine though . Do you have any tips on what else to apply to help with my medicine so far. Thanks .

Im already revising for the UKCAT . Wbu?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Lucky you I guess. I literally have to break my back to find good opportunities since I live in a very little town . Anything for medicine though . Do you have any tips on what else to apply to help with my medicine so far. Thanks .

Im already revising for the UKCAT . Wbu?
    I did a good amount of practice over the Christmas holidays, to see the layout, other than that, it is a considerable waste of time revising now, the majority of successful applicants focus on their current studies and focus revision during the summer, but hey it can't harm you! Practice makes perfect, but a bit of advice, don't over concentrate on the UKCAT at such an early stage, when you could be productively investing your time in securing 100%. (Oxbridge are obsessed with what % scores you get)

Um, contact universities for research placements, contact consultants and try find contacts in family.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Thank you .

Tagging nexttime (Oxford not Cambridge but close enough... )
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

The best source i am aware of is probably the old presentation they gave to teachers. As you can see, the vast majority of applicants will have better GCSEs than you. However, as you can also see some people with low GCSEs did get in, and in fact the ratio was not too bad at all.

Your school's performance, if as low as you are saying, should give you some recognition and count in your favour.

For medicine it is very important to make sure you don't apply to places where you stand no chance, as >60% of medical applicants don't get any offers at all and so you can't afford to take risks. However, based on what you have said so far, i do not think you fall into that category.

The next big steps are doing work experience and voluntary work and writing a good PS (both of which are more important for non-Oxbridge unis), and then the BMAT, which i would recommend taking in September so that you can decide whether to apply based on the result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    The best source i am aware of is probably the old presentation they gave to teachers. As you can see, the vast majority of applicants will have better GCSEs than you. However, as you can also see some people with low GCSEs did get in, and in fact the ratio was not too bad at all.

Your school's performance, if as low as you are saying, should give you some recognition and count in your favour.

For medicine it is very important to make sure you don't apply to places where you stand no chance, as >60% of medical applicants don't get any offers at all and so you can't afford to take risks. However, based on what you have said so far, i do not think you fall into that category.

The next big steps are doing work experience and voluntary work and writing a good PS (both of which are more important for non-Oxbridge unis), and then the BMAT, which i would recommend taking in September so that you can decide whether to apply based on the result.

Thank you so much . Does the amount of work experience matter ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you so much . Does the amount of work experience matter ?
    In theory its more about how much you learned from your experience.

however, i would recommend getting as much as you are able, and then also showing you learned lots from it!

ReputationRep:

Yep

GCSEs are overrated for most courses

Ended up getting mostly A* grades and now firming a uni that doesn't even consider them

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.