Turn on thread page Beta

What's the best way to study for my AS math/further math exam? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello friends,

I'll be sitting AS mathematics and further maths (edexcel) this May.
    Even though I spend a decent amount of time studying, I still feel that I'm not really helping myself prepare.
    I really need very high marks and I'd be grateful if somebody could share the best method to practice etc.
    My main concern is that the syllabi have changed and I cannot find many past papers :/
    Thanks a lot in advance

ReputationRep:
    Do all the questions in any textbook you have, all the past papers from the old spec and ask your teachers if they have any questions for the new spec. Doing loads of practice with exam questions is pretty much the best way to prepare and make sure you do some timed papers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana bloom)
    Hello friends,

I'll be sitting AS mathematics and further maths (edexcel) this May.
    Even though I spend a decent amount of time studying, I still feel that I'm not really helping myself prepare.
    I really need very high marks and I'd be grateful if somebody could share the best method to practice etc.
    My main concern is that the syllabi have changed and I cannot find many past papers :/
    Thanks a lot in advance
    Don't worry about the change in syllabus, maths is maths and the concepts will not change that much. It may take a bit more hunting, but past papers are still the best way to revise maths. You can even try papers from other exam boards because the core content is still very similar, just in a different order.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samiik)
    Do all the questions in any textbook you have, all the past papers from the old spec and ask your teachers if they have any questions for the new spec. Doing loads of practice with exam questions is pretty much the best way to prepare and make sure you do some timed papers
    Thank you very much!
    Do you think it's a bit late to start doing that now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazingphoenix)
    Don't worry about the change in syllabus, maths is maths and the concepts will not change that much. It may take a bit more hunting, but past papers are still the best way to revise maths. You can even try papers from other exam boards because the core content is still very similar, just in a different order.
    Thank a lot
    Do you think I should split the past papers and do a chunk everyday?

ReputationRep:
    Of course not, it's never too late! You could do the questions from the textbook in your frees and then do past papers and your other topics after school. Just do as much as you can - you still have about 2/3 months to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ana bloom)
    Thank a lot
    Do you think I should split the past papers and do a chunk everyday?
    Honestly its up to you how you want to approach it right now. But I would recommend that at some time before your exam you attempt a few full past papers so that you know if your time management is on the right track.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 19, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.