The Student Room Group

Bloody nose

So, as I’m sure we all do I tend to pick my nose when I feel a big build up. A lot of bogies that come up have blood on them, and them after I tend to get nose bleeds as a result. Could there be a big problem here? Plus I tend to only ever be able to breathe out of one nostril. It’s strange as it does switch between the two but breathing can only occur on one side?
Any suggestions, should I see a doctor?
Original post by Anonymous
So, as I’m sure we all do I tend to pick my nose when I feel a big build up. A lot of bogies that come up have blood on them, and them after I tend to get nose bleeds as a result. Could there be a big problem here? Plus I tend to only ever be able to breathe out of one nostril. It’s strange as it does switch between the two but breathing can only occur on one side?

Don't touch your nose and see what happens
I had nose bleeds my whole life and at seemingly random time. Whilst having sex, driving, cooking.. you name it they happened for better and for worse. Saw a GP about ti and her summary was a persistent infection for which I was given Naseptin Nasel Cream... And actually it helped. They stopped more or less. I also found donating blood cleared up the remaining couple of bleeds/dormant blood from night. I'd definitely recommend seeing your GP but only after you've stopped picking your nose for a few weeks.

Try blowing your nose into tissues when the snot is still wet rather than picking as you might be removing skin with the bogies or stretching and breaking capillaries which would cause the bleeds. Then before they have chance to heal properly you’re doing the same again!

Please try and catch it before it dries; also nicer for other people if you can catch it and bin it rather than flicking it around the room or however you decide to dispose of bogeys.
Reply 4

I believe everybody only breathes out of one nostril at a time. I'm sure there's some reason to it.

As far as the bleeding goes I'm quite sure it's just because you're shoving your finger up there and irritating it. I would bet money on it.
The skin and blood vessels in your nose are really delicate so what wouldn't be any issue on the rest of you can cause bleeding in your nose, especially with nails involved.

You're grown enough that you can decide if you want to pick your nose or not so I'm not going to tell you not to, but that will be why you're bleeding. Only reason you should see a doctor is if you're bleeding LOADS (like for 30mins or every single day). Unless there's some serious bleeding going on they're just going to tell you to stop shoving your finger up there.

If you do want an alternative to picking your nose, try blowing it. Putting your finger over one nostril when you blow will clear things out better than having both open at once and even if it's just some of the time, doing that instead of poking your fingers in should give your poor nostrils some much needed respite.

Quick Reply

Latest