The Student Room Group

Should I do Maths, Psychology and Law a level

Hi ... I’m rly stressed about choosing the right subjects as I know that this is gonna determine my future... so I’m planning on maybe doing Law at uni, and I want to do psychology law and maths a level, but Im just thinking whether I’ll be “looked down on” if I do psychology and law? But the thing is I rly want to do it! My other choice is physics instead of psychology since I am pretty good at it (I get grade 8/9 with little revision). But my biggest interest is psychology and Law a level... what should I do? Help please!! Thanks!!
Original post by Berrydo
Hi ... I’m rly stressed about choosing the right subjects as I know that this is gonna determine my future... so I’m planning on maybe doing Law at uni, and I want to do psychology law and maths a level, but Im just thinking whether I’ll be “looked down on” if I do psychology and law? But the thing is I rly want to do it! My other choice is physics instead of psychology since I am pretty good at it (I get grade 8/9 with little revision). But my biggest interest is psychology and Law a level... what should I do? Help please!! Thanks!!

No set A levels.. two facilitating including ones essay subject would be ok, but doesnt matter in 99% of cases.

Its mostly about grades, but always check the entrance requirements.
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-law

Play with this: https://my.sacu-student.com/sacustudent/f?p=SACU_BROWSE:331:0

Read these links

http://russellgroup.ac.uk/for-students/school-and-college-in-the-uk/subject-choices-at-school-and-college/

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/six-things-you-need-to-know-before-making-your-a-level-choices
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Berrydo

I think law is nice to do before uni, helps a little but not to the extent that you'd have a recognisable advantage. If you aren't doing another essay based subject like history or English then I would really reccomend it.
Original post by Chichaldo
I think law is nice to do before uni, helps a little but not to the extent that you'd have a recognisable advantage. If you aren't doing another essay based subject like history or English then I would really reccomend it.

Yeh thanks! Like the reason I’m doing law isn’t because I think it’s gonna give me and advantage, I mean it will definitely give me at least some knowledge of law ... which is what I’m interested in. Because some people r like it will teach me “nothing” but surely it must teach me SOME thing? 🤔
Original post by Berrydo
Yeh thanks! Like the reason I’m doing law isn’t because I think it’s gonna give me and advantage, I mean it will definitely give me at least some knowledge of law ... which is what I’m interested in. Because some people r like it will teach me “nothing” but surely it must teach me SOME thing? 🤔

You essentially go through most of the stuff covered at A-Level in uni, but in greater depth. I think it is valuable to understand the process of law making and stuff like that, it is only brushed uover on the course
Reply 5
Original post by Berrydo

Law is about thinking on facts, taking that to the law and case history and arguing which side it should win upon. Nothing more or less. So that is really about comprehension, love for facts of different cases and why some are exceptional and others don't stand out as reliable.

So taking that back into a pre uni arena, Maths is very much like that as is physics. Psych is more different belief systems and which one works, and so hard to pin down.

If you like winning arguements, and making a difference law is great. If you like solving problems then physics is awesome. We need more of those. If you like to help depressed youngsters and old demented people etc, sure do psyc. Key is where is your love? Law can be years in a law library reading cases, doing R&D and never seeing a client let alone before a judge. If you are like that okay. If you want to get out and see the world, law is no go. I did law and finance at uni. Both good and finance world standard to take anywhere. Psyc maybe UK based with Brexit, that is limiting. Law the most narrow yet can be very satisfying. Hmm. God bless. JK.
Original post by johnKiwi
Law is about thinking on facts, taking that to the law and case history and arguing which side it should win upon. Nothing more or less. So that is really about comprehension, love for facts of different cases and why some are exceptional and others don't stand out as reliable.

So taking that back into a pre uni arena, Maths is very much like that as is physics. Psych is more different belief systems and which one works, and so hard to pin down.

If you like winning arguements, and making a difference law is great. If you like solving problems then physics is awesome. We need more of those. If you like to help depressed youngsters and old demented people etc, sure do psyc. Key is where is your love? Law can be years in a law library reading cases, doing R&D and never seeing a client let alone before a judge. If you are like that okay. If you want to get out and see the world, law is no go. I did law and finance at uni. Both good and finance world standard to take anywhere. Psyc maybe UK based with Brexit, that is limiting. Law the most narrow yet can be very satisfying. Hmm. God bless. JK.

Ah ok thanks! Personally I do prefer to do maths, psychology and law, but I’m kinda scared it’s limiting... but I do want to pursue a career in law, so in a way if I know what I want to be then surely it’s not limiting?? Ahhh 😰😰

Quick Reply

Latest