Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    As I said I would have agreed with threeports interpretation and checked. the appeals officer has the power to reverse it. If it was just fee status then have you even been made an offer yet. If you have appealed, then just wait and see.
    Yeah let's see. Hoping for the best

ReputationRep:
    The University clearly stated "We are able to extend this deadline UNTIL 15th August." How anyone on this thread deciphers it as "it is common sense they met 15th February" is really beyond my human understanding. The University clearly said "UNTIL 15TH AUGUST"! Please endeavor to read before you argue.

It is the university's fault. Their fault alone. They cannot punish you for their mistakes. If I were you, I would lawyer up aka sending them a nicely worded legal email! You cannot punish me for your mistakes. You cannot hold my future hostage because of your mistakes. Appeal!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LegalDiaries)
    The University clearly stated "We are able to extend this deadline UNTIL 15th August." How anyone on this thread deciphers it as "it is common sense they met 15th February" is really beyond my human understanding. The University clearly said "UNTIL 15TH AUGUST"! Please endeavor to read before you argue.

It is the university's fault. Their fault alone. They cannot punish you for their mistakes. If I were you, I would lawyer up aka sending them a nicely worded legal email! You cannot punish me for your mistakes. You cannot hold my future hostage because of your mistakes. Appeal!
    The common sense comes from seeking clarification knowing that mistakes happen. Had they done so then they would have avoided this situation.

ReputationRep:
    Seems quite unfair imo OP

but unfortunately at times life's not fair.............

ReputationRep:

Exactly my point. Rather people are blaming me for not asking about it. University could have their reasons to give me an extended deadline. I wouldn't know about their internal policies or reasons to give me more time but them writing 15th August but meaning 15th February is no way my fault and the only reply they gave me was an apology as if that really matters or helps me in any way. Let's see what they reply about the appeal.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

There's no point in "lawyering up" until the OP has worked through the formal internal appeal process....which they're doing and should have an answer to their first stage appeal (which is judged by the Head of School and is independent of the admissions team) within 20 working days of appealing. If they don't meet their own deadlines (2 weeks to acknowledge receipt of the appeal and further 2 weeks to make a decision) then it escalates to a stage 2 appeal.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by PQ)
    There's no point in "lawyering up" until the OP has worked through the formal internal appeal process....which they're doing and should have an answer to their first stage appeal (which is judged by the Head of School and is independent of the admissions team) within 20 working days of appealing. If they don't meet their own deadlines (2 weeks to acknowledge receipt of the appeal and further 2 weeks to make a decision) then it escalates to a stage 2 appeal.
    Exactly. It could have the opposite effect. It is also a very simple issue that you dont need to pay someone else to explain.

ReputationRep:
    @mods

Don't mislead the OP with the thumbnail you chose for this thread

The Straughan library never looks that nice. It's usually a dismal shade of grey, just like the other buildings that line Chancery Lane

(Original post by PQ)
    There's no point in "lawyering up" until the OP has worked through the formal internal appeal process
    There's no point in lawyering up to get into King's in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiu12)
    On 3rd February Kings college sent me a fee status questionnaire and told me to submit it by one week. I was in Thailand at that time for my mother's treatment so I emailed them asking an extension and they replied back with a deadline of 15th August. On 16th they rejected me stating the reason that I did not complete it within a week I emailed them with the screenshots where they mentioned the deadline 15th August. They replied saying it was their error and they meant 15th February and there is nothing they can do now. Is there any action I can take against this?
    I would think August was a weird deadline. But, you should try and appeal for it if it's a university that you really wanna go to. Explain the situation over the phone. Or, if you live near Kings then speak to someone face to face.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

This seems a little over the top. Yes, the uni made an error. These things happen and hopefully the OP does get the rejection revoked. But common sense does dictate that going from a February deadline to 15th August is a bit of a jump. If they could wait until August then there would have been no reason for a February deadline to begin with.

I'm not saying the OP is at fault here but if you have a deadline of February and all of a sudden it gets extended to August, most people would at least think something is a bit wrong with that. Most people would also endeavour to get the stuff sent off as close to the deadline as possible. A simple case of human error does not warrant legal actions or statements like "you're holding my future hostage". Jumping on the law bandwagon when we don't even have the entire story is irresponsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    This seems a little over the top. Yes, the uni made an error. These things happen and hopefully the OP does get the rejection revoked. But common sense does dictate that going from a February deadline to 15th August is a bit of a jump. If they could wait until August then there would have been no reason for a February deadline to begin with.

I'm not saying the OP is at fault here but if you have a deadline of February and all of a sudden it gets extended to August, most people would at least think something is a bit wrong with that. Most people would also endeavour to get the stuff sent off as close to the deadline as possible. A simple case of human error does not warrant legal actions or statements like "you're holding my future hostage". Jumping on the law bandwagon when we don't even have the entire story is irresponsible.
    Well it's not like they were giving me an extension without any reason. I asked for an extension because of a sensitive issue and I assumed they were just kind enough to understand my situation and give me extra time. After all the reply was from Central Admission officer and she does have the power to give me that big of an extension.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Well it's not like they were giving me an extension without any reason. I asked for an extension because of a sensitive issue and I assumed they were just kind enough to understand my situation and give me extra time. After all the reply was from Central Admission officer and she does have the power to give me that big of an extension.
    I'm not saying it wasn't a legitimate reason and you were perfectly entitled to a deadline. But did you really not consider that maybe they made a mistake? When a questionnaire that they wanted done in February suddenly got extended to August? This isn't a test, it's not something a Central Admissions Officer needs permission to do. If they're asking for details there's usually a reason for that, they won't just suddenly halt your entire application while they wait for several months for you to send the details back. Common sense would have said "this is a bit weird, I'll confirm it" or at least get it done asap since they were kind enough to give an extension.

Either way I'm sorry to hear about your situation (both with university and your mother undergoing treatment) and hope that it gets resolved. That said, to be given wrong information, be told that there is nothing that can be done about it and for an application to be rejected because you failed to return a fee status questionnaire is ridiculous. I wouldn't be wanting to go to a uni that treated me like that to be honest, although the entire situation does sound odd. I've never heard of someone being rejected for failing to return a questionnaire. I'd cut your losses and go elsewhere tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I'm not saying it wasn't a legitimate reason and you were perfectly entitled to a deadline. But did you really not consider that maybe they made a mistake? When a questionnaire that they wanted done in February suddenly got extended to August? This isn't a test, it's not something a Central Admissions Officer needs permission to do. If they're asking for details there's usually a reason for that, they won't just suddenly halt your entire application while they wait for several months for you to send the details back. Common sense would have said "this is a bit weird, I'll confirm it" or at least get it done asap since they were kind enough to give an extension.

Either way I'm sorry to hear about your situation (both with university and your mother undergoing treatment) and hope that it gets resolved. That said, to be given wrong information, be told that there is nothing that can be done about it and for an application to be rejected because you failed to return a fee status questionnaire is ridiculous. I wouldn't be wanting to go to a uni that treated me like that to be honest, although the entire situation does sound odd. I've never heard of someone being rejected for failing to return a questionnaire. I'd cut your losses and go elsewhere tbh.
    Trust me after what they did I have no intention to go there either but after all they're one of the prestigious and highly ranked universities in the world so I can't really give up until I have absolutely nothing to do about it. Also, I'm not saying that they should give me extra time or something because of the fact my mom was sick and I was diagnosed with peptic ulcer at the same time but they shouldn't have rejected me for their own error. All I am saying is that the whole time my emotions were running high and honestly people are blaming me for not asking about it but they don't understand that at times like these, people are preoccupied with other thoughts and running back and forth from the hospital and staying there the whole day doesn't give you much time to analyse things like this. All I knew was I had extra time so I focused on things that were more important to me at that time.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    This is why I loathe admin.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, everyone reading this has the benefit of hindsight. It might be clear now that it was a mistake but just receiving that email, knowing that other universities had given similar deadlines, and most people being normally inclined to trust correspondence from reputable institutions, I don’t know if it’s as commonsense that a mistake was made as all that.

If it had been “55th February” or even “30th February” then yes, that would be an obvious error. But I wouldn’t normally expect someone to write August when they meant February as they are not remotely similar. Therefore in the absence of immediately contradictory information I would assume they meant to write August. But even then, I don’t see how the onus is on OP to notice the error and not the institution sending the email.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by trou_noir)
    To be fair, everyone reading this has the benefit of hindsight. It might be clear now that it was a mistake but just receiving that email, knowing that other universities had given similar deadlines, and most people being normally inclined to trust correspondence from reputable institutions, I don’t know if it’s as commonsense that a mistake was made as all that.

If it had been “55th February” or even “30th February” then yes, that would be an obvious error. But I wouldn’t normally expect someone to write August when they meant February as they are not remotely similar. Therefore in the absence of immediately contradictory information I would assume they meant to write August. But even then, I don’t see how the onus is on OP to notice the error and not the institution sending the email.
    I guarantee I would have confirmed it. Asking for a few weeks and being given several months rings alarm bells. the difference from your examples is they would say from the start the date whereas Kings said February.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Also, I'm not saying that they should give me extra time or something because of the fact my mom was sick and I was diagnosed with peptic ulcer at the same time but they shouldn't have rejected me for their own error. All I am saying is that the whole time my emotions were running high and honestly people are blaming me for not asking about it but they don't understand that at times like these, people are preoccupied with other thoughts and running back and forth from the hospital and staying there the whole day doesn't give you much time to analyse things like this. All I knew was I had extra time so I focused on things that were more important to me at that time.
    I would take that a step further and say there's no reason to outright reject you just because you didn't return a questionnaire. But we don't have all the info on that matter.

As a side note though, and I fully appreciate how you would have been feeling at the time, life can't just stop. We all go through our lives and bad things happen to ourselves and our families. If you are fortunate, the people around you appreciate that and it allows for some wiggle room. As a slightly more extreme example, if a close family member passed away, you might get a bit of time off work. You'd be grieving for far longer than the few days or week at most that you might be allowed off but you'd still be expected to come back to work. I completely appreciate that you might not have spent all day going back and forth to the hospital, etc. But your life can't just stop as a result. Maybe that would have meant staying up an hour later rather than going to be to get this questionnaire done. Maybe the university had just turned round and said they can't give extensions, you'll have to get the questionnaire in on time or you'll be rejected.

As harsh as it sounds, you'll go through worse things than this and you can't let your life stop as a result, nor will you be able to dwell on what happened. In this case, that means explaining the situation to the admissions team (as others have said, a phone call will do the world of good) and if they can't backtrack then moving on with your life. It's unfortunate but at the end of the day, life isn't fair and there just isn't anything you can do about it sometimes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by trou_noir)
    I actually think this boils down to differnces in what constitutes common sense. If someone told me I had to have something handed in for February, I asked for a deadline and they extended it to August then I'd be questioning that. Even if I were undergoing a family emergency I'd personally still be picking up on how that's pretty weird, especially on something timely like a uni application. But then I'd also be somewhat concerned about how my application hinged on the return of a fees questionnaire (which 'm honestly still confused about). That's just me and I appreciate that a lot of people will handle it differently. But I don't think it's a matter of hindsight. I'm pretty good at picking out human error and correcting or checking it but a lot of people won't be as observant, or it won't occur to them, or they'll be worrying about other things. That's less hindsight and more a matter of the differences between people. We are not all identical and common sense isn't actually all that common.

As for writing August when they meant February, that kind of demonstrates the point really. You might think it'd be difficult to confuse them as they're not remotely similar. But to someone sending dates emails all day it might be easy to get mixed up. I've personally had my mind wander and I write something I didn't intend to write. Again, it's human error and whether you spot it or not is a personal thing.

ReputationRep:
    They rejected me on the basis that I[m resitting my A Levels - I'm not, I had an extended period of time living in hospital which delayed my education and resulted in me sitting my A Levels split (two completed and doing a third now). They said to me that this process counts as a resit, but said to my tutor that it had been a misunderstanding. They have said that if I fill in a form, they'll reconsider, but I don't think I will. I felt let down by the whole situation and it's put me off them.

If your set on King's, it's definitely worth protesting. However, perhaps think about whether this is a university you truly want to attend. They don't seem to treat applicants very fairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I actually think this boils down to differnces in what constitutes common sense. If someone told me I had to have something handed in for February, I asked for a deadline and they extended it to August then I'd be questioning that. Even if I were undergoing a family emergency I'd personally still be picking up on how that's pretty weird, especially on something timely like a uni application. But then I'd also be somewhat concerned about how my application hinged on the return of a fees questionnaire (which 'm honestly still confused about). That's just me and I appreciate that a lot of people will handle it differently. But I don't think it's a matter of hindsight. I'm pretty good at picking out human error and correcting or checking it but a lot of people won't be as observant, or it won't occur to them, or they'll be worrying about other things. That's less hindsight and more a matter of the differences between people. We are not all identical and common sense isn't actually all that common.

As for writing August when they meant February, that kind of demonstrates the point really. You might think it'd be difficult to confuse them as they're not remotely similar. But to someone sending dates emails all day it might be easy to get mixed up. I've personally had my mind wander and I write something I didn't intend to write. Again, it's human error and whether you spot it or not is a personal thing.
    Had it been a normal email from a normal person I surely would've understood it but are you seriously telling me that institutions like these shouldn't recheck their emails before sending them to applicants? Like I said these type of errors are not expected from highly ranked universities like them who has a big enough admission team to recheck these type of things and maybe if someone sending those emails can't get this much right or at least send a correction later shouldn't be in such an important position in the first place.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.