Turn on thread page Beta

Got unfairly rejected from King's College London due to their error. What to do? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaskrey)
    They rejected me on the basis that I[m resitting my A Levels - I'm not, I had an extended period of time living in hospital which delayed my education and resulted in me sitting my A Levels split (two completed and doing a third now). They said to me that this process counts as a resit, but said to my tutor that it had been a misunderstanding. They have said that if I fill in a form, they'll reconsider, but I don't think I will. I felt let down by the whole situation and it's put me off them.

If your set on King's, it's definitely worth protesting. However, perhaps think about whether this is a university you truly want to attend. They don't seem to treat applicants very fairly.
    Kings is definitely an over rated university in terms of handling admissions and though they boast about their selection process, I think they should really check cases like ours because I feel like their admission officers are very ignorant.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by samiu12)
    Had it been a normal email from a normal person I surely would've understood it but are you seriously telling me that institutions like these shouldn't recheck their emails before sending them to applicants?
    No, I never said anything of the sort. Of course emails should be checked before being sent. However it'd be over the top and a waste of resources to get other people proof reading every email. I also don't expect people to be perfect, human error like this will happen sometimes. No matter how hard you try, this sort of stuff does happen.

But arguably that's not really the issue. The issue is why it resulted in a rejection and why that cannot be reversed. The human error is really not the issue here, it's the poor handling of that error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    No, I never said anything of the sort. Of course emails should be checked before being sent. However it'd be over the top and a waste of resources to get other people proof reading every email. I also don't expect people to be perfect, human error like this will happen sometimes. No matter how hard you try, this sort of stuff does happen.

But arguably that's not really the issue. The issue is why it resulted in a rejection and why that cannot be reversed. The human error is really not the issue here, it's the poor handling of that error.
    yes exactly. If they can apologize and admit it was their fault what they could have done was to give me 24 hours at the very least because after all it was their error not mine. They didn't even agree to that when I requested them so I just hope my appeal will be judged fairly.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me after what they did I have no intention to go there either
    Then it would be foolish of you to waste energy, time and resources on pursuing the matter any further. Concentrate on something useful.

Had it been a normal email from a normal person I surely would've understood it but are you seriously telling me that institutions like these shouldn't recheck their emails before sending them to applicants?
    I think you must realise by now that any person or institution can make a mistake. In general, the bigger the institution, the bigger the consequences of the mistake. You yourself have made a mistake in assuming it was reasonable that a request for a week's extension could sensibly lead to a six month extension.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Then it would be foolish of you to waste energy, time and resources on pursuing the matter any further. Concentrate on something useful.

I think you must realise by now that any person or institution can make a mistake. In general, the bigger the institution, the bigger the consequences of the mistake. You yourself have made a mistake in assuming it was reasonable that a request for a week's extension could sensibly lead to a six month extension.
    So am I not a person too and could I not have made the mistake to assume too then? Either way rejection for their own error should've been dealt differently by them because these type of things defines the quality of the institute too.

ReputationRep:
    could I not have made the mistake to assume too then?
    As I said, you did exactly that. It would be compounding the error, though, to waste your resources on pursuing it, given you have decided the university is not up to standard. Just put it behind you and move on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    As I said, you did exactly that. It would be compounding the error, though, to waste your resources on pursuing it, given you have decided the university is not up to standard. Just put it behind you and move on.
    I'm not saying the university is below my standard. It is still one of the most reputed universities in the world and getting an offer from them would be my honor. I just did what was in my power and filed an appeal because what the admission team did was not correct either. If they don't revert the decision then it's just my luck and something to learn from.

ReputationRep:
    Did you get an offer? Something similar happened to me today. I emailed them immediately but I’m not sure what will happen next.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaffacool)
    Did you get an offer? Something similar happened to me today. I emailed them immediately but I’m not sure what will happen next.
    Not yet. I received a receipt as the confirmation of my appeal but did not hear anything back from them after that. They're supposed to give me a decision within 20 working days otherwise I have to go for the stage two appeal.

ReputationRep:
    Did they reply to your email yet?

ReputationRep:
    They said there was an error in time difference but I live in the UK so there is no time difference.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    They said there was an error in time difference but I live in the UK so there is no time difference.
    The appeal worked. Finally they replied back with another extension. You should go for one too.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The appeal worked. Finally they replied back with another extension. You should go for one too.
    Well done. Get those forms in asap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Well done. Get those forms in asap!
    Yes of course. I will definitely get it done by today. Thanks to everyone who suggested me to appeal.

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course. I will definitely get it done by today. Thanks to everyone who suggested me to appeal.
    ayy looked back on this thread to see an update . happy for you mate!

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's nothing. When my results came through in Sixth Form I wasn't able to get into my First Choice so I rang my Second Choice (University of Kent) who then informed me that they did not even have my application despite accepting it through UCAS.... 5 hours later they offered me a place which I denied due to their incompetence and went with another university who were more than happy to give me a place immediately when I spoke to the Head of Department for Applications.

ReputationRep:
    Odd as I was in the exact same position and they gave me an offer. There admissions system sounds really insensitive, poor and inconsistent! Sorry that that happened to you.

They rejected me on the basis that I[m resitting my A Levels - I'm not, I had an extended period of time living in hospital which delayed my education and resulted in me sitting my A Levels split (two completed and doing a third now). They said to me that this process counts as a resit, but said to my tutor that it had been a misunderstanding. They have said that if I fill in a form, they'll reconsider, but I don't think I will. I felt let down by the whole situation and it's put me off them.

If your set on King's, it's definitely worth protesting. However, perhaps think about whether this is a university you truly want to attend. They don't seem to treat applicants very fairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedboutlife)
    Odd as I was in the exact same position and they gave me an offer. There admissions system sounds really insensitive, poor and inconsistent! Sorry that that happened to you.
    I'm sorry that you've been in that situation but well done on pulling through!

I felt really discriminated against - I was pulled out of education against my will and as such I'm three years behind the typical process - I'll be going to uni in September when I'm 21. Hospital was the worst time of my life and I felt like it was being used against me. I completely understand if I didn't make the cut but I wanted a genuine explanation, rather than one department telling me they considered me a resit regardless of circumstances and another department telling me they had misunderstood my situation.

All is well that ends well - I visited Exeter (another uni I'd applied to) shortly after this and fell in love with the campus. I think that I would have ended up there regardless. I have now accepted their offer and will be off in September (grades permitted)!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry that you've been in that situation but well done on pulling through!

I felt really discriminated against - I was pulled out of education against my will and as such I'm three years behind the typical process - I'll be going to uni in September when I'm 21. Hospital was the worst time of my life and I felt like it was being used against me. I completely understand if I didn't make the cut but I wanted a genuine explanation, rather than one department telling me they considered me a resit regardless of circumstances and another department telling me they had misunderstood my situation.

All is well that ends well - I visited Exeter (another uni I'd applied to) shortly after this and fell in love with the campus. I think that I would have ended up there regardless. I have now accepted their offer and will be off in September (grades permitted)!
    I don't think Kings is as good as it used to be TBH. I declined my offer in the end!
    Exeter is a lovely place and a v. prestigious uni. All the best of luck! What course are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confusedboutlife)
    I don't think Kings is as good as it used to be TBH. I declined my offer in the end!
    Exeter is a lovely place and a v. prestigious uni. All the best of luck! What course are you doing?
    I'm doing law, very nervous because of my situation but also really excited!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.