The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mefan Stolyneux
I'm an advocate of an anarcho-capitalist country, and I've never heard an argument to prove that taxation ISN'T theft. Please provide your responses below

In reference to Stefan Molyneux...

"NOT AN ARGUMENT!"
Unfortunately I have no idea what you're talking about!
I'm an advocate of an anarcho-capitalist country, and I've never heard an argument to prove that taxation ISN'T theft. Please provide your responses below

Assuming it were theft, why should it matter?
Reply 4
if you can posit irrefutable and totally watertight proof that such a system would work, I'll accept that all taxation is theft.
Original post by SHallowvale
Assuming it were theft, why should it matter?

Theft is a crime. Not an argument.
Original post by Tootles
if you can posit irrefutable and totally watertight proof that such a system would work, I'll accept that all taxation is theft.

You don't need a better system to know that the current system is morally bankrupt. Not an argument.
Theft is a crime. Not an argument.

'Theft' is only a crime if it's not allowed by law.

Taxation would only be a crime if it were explicitly prohibited by law, which from my understanding it isn't.
'Theft' is only a crime if it's not allowed by law.

Taxation would only be a crime if it were explicitly prohibited by law, which from my understanding it isn't.

Taxation is the only type of theft that's legal. The government created a loophole to exploit us. Not an argument.
Taxation is the only type of theft that's legal. The government created a loophole to exploit us. Not an argument.

Theft is inherently an illegal act. There's no "loophole" here. Taxation is taking something legally so it cannot be considered theft.
You don't need a better system to know that the current system is morally bankrupt. Not an argument.
Neither is an unqualified statement. You're surrounded by academics: where is the proof?
Theft is inherently an illegal act. There's no "loophole" here. Taxation is taking something legally so it cannot be considered theft.

Taxation partially removes the fruits of someone's labour, at gun point and with threat of prison if you fail to comply! If this doesn't sound immoral to you, you're an authoritarian!
Original post by Tootles
Neither is an unqualified statement. You're surrounded by academics: where is the proof?

It violates the non-aggression principle.
Taxation partially removes the fruits of someone's labour, at gun point and with threat of prison if you fail to comply! If this doesn't sound immoral to you, you're an authoritarian!

This is irrelevant to whether taxation is theft. My argument still stands - by definition, or perhaps by example, taxation isn't theft. If you can provide evidence of instances of taxation which have no legal footing, then sure, taxation would be theft.
This is irrelevant to whether taxation is theft. My argument still stands - by definition, or perhaps by example, taxation isn't theft. If you can provide evidence of instances of taxation which have no legal footing, then sure, taxation would be theft.

Abortion is legal, but it's still the termination of life. Same argument!
Abortion is legal, but it's still the termination of life. Same argument!

Doesn't change the fact that taxation isn't theft.

If you want to argue that taxation is bad then go ahead, but it isn't theft.
Doesn't change the fact that taxation isn't theft.

If you want to argue that taxation is bad then go ahead, but it isn't theft.

Taking something that's mine against my will. Theft. What do you not understand!

In doing this "labour", do you use water supplies that have been cleaned as a result of state intervention (for example, through legal control on pollution)? Do you breathe air that is clean as a result of state action? Do you benefit from education provided by the state - either as a pupil yourself or because you depend on state-educated doctors, or computer programmers, or street cleaners? Do you rely on their being a market to which to sell what you make? And do the people who constitute this market depend upon state-organised or provided systems and goods? Do you use money - which has currency solely because it is underwritten by state guarantees?

If so, then your existence is dependent upon the state. The goods that you benefit from are the result of collective effort, held in trust and turned into tangible, accessible benefits by the state. Although you have not contributed to it, the state allows you to benefit from this common stock, simply by virtue of your citizenship. Therefore, the state not only has the right to reclaim a portion of the money you are paid so as to be able to continue to underwrite and resupply the social commons, but your retaining personal cash is an act of private appropriation of what is, at root, social property. In short, you are the thief.
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm curious, for people such as yourself who are against taxes, how do you intend to get medical care? drive on roads? attend schools? Are you suggesting that absolutely all of that should be privately funded?
Taking something that's mine against my will. Theft. What do you not understand!

If it's legal to do so then it isn't theft.

You've confused the government taking something from you and some random person doing so.