Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Is anyone able to shed some light on what differentiates the Glasgow PGDE from Edinburgh, Strathclyde, UWS - in terms of course structure/teaching etc?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by RainS252)
    Hi, Is anyone able to shed some light on what differentiates the Glasgow PGDE from Edinburgh, Strathclyde, UWS - in terms of course structure/teaching etc?
    You could just do it yourself but working on the differences in course structure and content rather than waiting for someone to do it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    You could just do it yourself but working on the differences in course structure and content rather than waiting for someone to do it for you.
    Hi! Thanks for your response, but not sure I follow?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Hi! Thanks for your response, but not sure I follow?
    Sit down, open up all three uni webpages for the course you are interested in and make a table of pros and cons to see how they compare. i.e do your own research rather than waiting for someone to do it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Sit down, open up all three uni webpages for the course you are interested in and make a table of pros and cons to see how they compare. i.e do your own research rather than waiting for someone to do it for you.
    I'm not waiting for someone to do it for me, but thanks for your response. I just wondered if anyone had any insight above the fairly generic information on each of the university pages.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not waiting for someone to do it for me, but thanks for your response. I just wondered if anyone had any insight above the fairly generic information on each of the university pages.
    Most people will only have gone to one uni unfortunately. Anyway, I think you know what you have to do. Good luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Most people will have only been to one uni though. Have you been to interviews yet? This did highlight some differences for me, between my choices.

However, the PGCE/PGDE is always going to have a fairly standard structure- in England, you have to spend x number of days in school and time in two contrasting schools. The big difference I have seen between unis so far is, when do you go on placement, the style of classes in term time, the location of the placements and the general supportiveness of the uni.

I don't really think there is much to chose, but at the moment I am leaning towards the choice which felt more like it would be supportive/helpful during my interview.

I would also say from speaking to teachers that university reputation does have a little bit of an impact on employability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    Most people will have only been to one uni though. Have you been to interviews yet? This did highlight some differences for me, between my choices.

However, the PGCE/PGDE is always going to have a fairly standard structure- in England, you have to spend x number of days in school and time in two contrasting schools. The big difference I have seen between unis so far is, when do you go on placement, the style of classes in term time, the location of the placements and the general supportiveness of the uni.

I don't really think there is much to chose, but at the moment I am leaning towards the choice which felt more like it would be supportive/helpful during my interview.

I would also say from speaking to teachers that university reputation does have a little bit of an impact on employability.
    Thank you! I have been to 3 interviews and had 3 offers, so it's down to choosing now and I really want to make the right choice. Ridiculously, it's something that I didn't think to ask in my interviews (nerves I guess, or stupidity). I think you are right though - there is serious uniformity across the courses and I'll probably just make the choice based on my interactions, university reputation and gut feeling.
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you! I have been to 3 interviews and had 3 offers, so it's down to choosing now and I really want to make the right choice. Ridiculously, it's something that I didn't think to ask in my interviews (nerves I guess, or stupidity). I think you are right though - there is serious uniformity across the courses and I'll probably just make the choice based on my interactions, university reputation and gut feeling.
    I'm in a similar position-2 interviews, 2 offers, third interview on Wednesday. At both my previous interviews we were given sample timetables for the year and presentations on "Why chose this uni". Did you not get similar?

If you have any specific questions, I would ring/email and ask. Most unis would welcome this, and if they don't, then that's important to know as well!

I'm currently basing my choice on ease of access to placement schools, as one uni has such a wide area for these it could become a very expensive year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarcAndSpark)
    I'm in a similar position-2 interviews, 2 offers, third interview on Wednesday. At both my previous interviews we were given sample timetables for the year and presentations on "Why chose this uni". Did you not get similar?

If you have any specific questions, I would ring/email and ask. Most unis would welcome this, and if they don't, then that's important to know as well!

I'm currently basing my choice on ease of access to placement schools, as one uni has such a wide area for these it could become a very expensive year!
    Yes, got something similar at one, but not the other two. Thanks for your help. And big congrats on your offers - is that in England or Scotland?
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, got something similar at one, but not the other two. Thanks for your help. And big congrats on your offers - is that in England or Scotland?
    Both in England, Bristol and Exeter. Congrats on your offers as well!

I'd ask the other two for more information on course structure etc. It might all be very similar, but at least you'll know!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.