Turn on thread page Beta

Most overrated song? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    people saying Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated is just evidence that there is literally nothing that won't be accused of being overrated. I'm sure people will say Einstein was an overrated scientist next. it's just not defensible.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    Africa by Toto, I don’t get all the fuss.
    I don't like the song, but there's been some good samples of it in hip hop over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWYjmkZOK4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNy6e70gADE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKgzZ3A8_iM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    How can you not like that song.
    Its not overrated at all.
    It’s the way it’s been turned into a ‘meme’, all those facebook events like “everyone sing africa by toto at X”. The amount people go on about it is the main annoyance, it’s the new wonderwall.

Like those people who think being obsessed with chicken nuggets is the most edgy hilarious sh*t like.... nah. I’m probably just being a bitter b*tch though.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It’s the way it’s been turned into a ‘meme’, all those facebook events like “everyone sing africa by toto at X”. The amount people go on about it is the main annoyance, it’s the new wonderwall.

Like those people who think being obsessed with chicken nuggets is the most edgy hilarious sh*t like.... nah. I’m probably just being a bitter b*tch though.
    I wasn't even aware it had become a meme tbh.

I loved this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asuP68PiZ14

ReputationRep:

no, i urge you to look again at Africa. the reason it's so good is that a) instrumentally its really original that makes the song sound so unique even though its a typical 4-chord song and b) its one of those 80s songs which was always a bit under the radar in recent decades unlike Bon Jovi Livin' on a prayer and now it gets the appreciation it deserves c) it has a really catchy chorus, proper hook!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CollectiveSoul)
    you are joking. not only is it arguably the best song ever but it is arguably the most technically accomplished pop song ever written
    No, I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    people saying Bohemian Rhapsody is overrated is just evidence that there is literally nothing that won't be accused of being overrated. I'm sure people will say Einstein was an overrated scientist nxext. it's just not defensible.
    Art is not science, dear. It is ok not to like 'classic' tracks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Art is not science, dear. It is ok not to like 'classic' tracks.
    i don't like Chaucer but that doesn't justify me calling his works overrated...

ReputationRep:
    i don't like Chaucer but that doesn't justify me calling his works overrated...
    Why not? If you can make the argument then you are free to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Why not?
    because his work is of an absurdly high quality, i just don't appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Why not? If you can make the argument then you are free to do so.
    you haven't made an argument as to why bohemian rhapsody is overrated.... tell me you at least like fade to black :P

ReputationRep:
    because his work is of an absurdly high quality, i just don't appreciate it
    That's not really compelling. Descartes wrote high quality philosophy but it can still be shite.

Any of these threads are based on subjectivity - we can all whinge that we don't agree, but so what?

ReputationRep:
    you haven't made an argument as to why bohemian rhapsody is overrated.... tell me you at least like fade to black :P
    Well, it doesn't move me in any way. It literally makes me feel nothing. I also think you could get rid of 40% of it without really losing much. But like I said, it's art and art is to some degree a subjective business.

I kinda like the Fade to Black outro but the track I like best on that release is Creeping Death.

ReputationRep:
    Africa by Toto, I don’t get all the fuss.
    Blocked and reported to the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrelaiBoy)
    I raise you Wonderwall, overrated and overplayed

I may have to leave the country after this post
    I’m a massive Oasis fan but I completely agree.

It’s far from their best song and every true Oasis fan will know that.

Live Forever > Wonderwall

ReputationRep:
    Despacito😒

ReputationRep:
    Every Bruno Mars song...

ReputationRep:
    Soooooo truuuuue OMG!!!!

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.