Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I used to get the best grades in my year during GCSE's and was known for being one of the smartest kids especially in Maths (explains my username). When I got my GCSE results, I was devastated because I got a 7, which doesn't sound bad but for all my mocks I had gotten 9's, even after teachers set incredibly high grade boundaries.

Now I'm doing A Level Maths and it's the ****ing worst. I understand stuff in lessons but when I go back over it, I don't understand anything, especially the demonic subject that is Mechanics. In my January mock, I got 2 marks out of 11 on the M1 paper. I got a tutor recently but even when she explains things, it makes no sense to me.

I got an E overall for my mock, and I am aiming to be predicted an A* for Maths, so I need to go up by 4 grades if I want that, in three months. How will that ever be possible, I'm so screwed.

Now I have nothing defining me because my smartness was the only "thing" going for me. I never had the time to pick up other talents like music etc because I was studying. I'm literally nothing now and I feel awful.

I despise A levels.

ReputationRep:
    I kinda felt like that with mechanics too, I expected to be bad at stats and amazing at mechanics but this wasn't the case, I found stats more straightforward and mechanics to be confusing at times. With AS and A-Level maths, you need a lot of resilience. In GCSE, stuff was straightforward but in A levels that might no longer be the case, and you need to put more effort in. At GCSE I didn't do much revision in maths and found it good but in A-levels I do past papers all the time to improve my proficiency in the topic.

When you don't get a question, don't leave it until later. Get help from tutor and teachers until you fully understand it. Key here is not to give up, keep trying more questions until you get a gist of it and then keep practicing some more.

tldr - do not skip over stuff , "i don't quite get this, so 'll just move on and come back to it later and ask", always make sure you understand something before moving on. It is a big jump from GCSE and AS is the foundation for A-Level. If you are not clear on the foundations then you will struggle more in A-Level (Assuming you are in year 12 now)

Do more than stuff you do in class. Go to websites like physicsandmathstutor, examsolutions, UKMT problems a lot as it will improve you, just sitting there and absorbing information like people do in GCSE is no longer enough.

Revise consistently, don't do the "I'll revise a day before the test" as that is not very good in the long term. Always do bits and pieces of revision as you go along to get into the good habit.

eg - If you did differentiation in class then in your free time get some extra questions and/or do some more from the book - it will be very helpful when it comes to revise as you'll have done a lot already and your overall understanding would have increased.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rarest)
    I kinda felt like that with mechanics too, I expected to be bad at stats and amazing at mechanics but this wasn't the case, I found stats more straightforward and mechanics to be confusing at times. With AS and A-Level maths, you need a lot of resilience. In GCSE, stuff was straightforward but in A levels that might no longer be the case, and you need to put more effort in. At GCSE I didn't do much revision in maths and found it good but in A-levels I do past papers all the time to improve my proficiency in the topic.

When you don't get a question, don't leave it until later. Get help from tutor and teachers until you fully understand it. Key here is not to give up, keep trying more questions until you get a gist of it and then keep practicing some more.

tldr - do not skip over stuff , "i don't quite get this, so 'll just move on and come back to it later and ask", always make sure you understand something before moving on. It is a big jump from GCSE and AS is the foundation for A-Level. If you are not clear on the foundations then you will struggle more in A-Level (Assuming you are in year 12 now)

Do more than stuff you do in class. Go to websites like physicsandmathstutor, examsolutions, UKMT problems a lot as it will improve you, just sitting there and absorbing information like people do in GCSE is no longer enough.

Revise consistently, don't do the "I'll revise a day before the test" as that is not very good in the long term. Always do bits and pieces of revision as you go along to get into the good habit.

eg - If you did differentiation in class then in your free time get some extra questions and/or do some more from the book - it will be very helpful when it comes to revise as you'll have done a lot already and your overall understanding would have increased.

good luck
    Ithink because Mechanics is Physics based and me not being able to understand Sciences at all, ever, makes it harder for me to know what's happening. Also my tutor says you have to be able to be good at visualising particles and movement in Mechanics so it's easier to calculate things but I just can't imagine particles moving and stuff its complicated.

I am trying to revise at least an hour of maths a day but the more I do it, the worse I feel about myself. I just end up crying and feeling *****y because I don't get it and I stop trying. I thought getting a tutor would stop that but it hasn't I just don't show her I'm upset.

Thank you for your help <3

ReputationRep:
    This is interesting, a lot of what you're saying exactly follows how I used to feel. I was a very high achiever throughout early years of school (particularly in Maths), I was bumped up classes, I did national competitions for the school, and I was absolutely planning on going to an Oxbridge University. Then A Levels came and, well, I got lazy, frankly, the coasting stopped, I got a U on my Mathematics overall and felt like I'd lost the only thing I had going for me, which until then had been a modicum of intelligence.

All I'd say is, it doesn't go away, not really, just maybe Maths isn't the subject for you in reality. I'm heading off to an RG Uni to do Law later this year, not something I'd have imagined doing at 18. It can get better, you just need to learn how to really work for it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maaaths)
    Ithink because Mechanics is Physics based and me not being able to understand Sciences at all, ever, makes it harder for me to know what's happening. Also my tutor says you have to be able to be good at visualising particles and movement in Mechanics so it's easier to calculate things but I just can't imagine particles moving and stuff its complicated.

I am trying to revise at least an hour of maths a day but the more I do it, the worse I feel about myself. I just end up crying and feeling *****y because I don't get it and I stop trying. I thought getting a tutor would stop that but it hasn't I just don't show her I'm upset.

Thank you for your help <3
    yes, visualizing stuff is my weakness too. I can do it for a bit then I lose focus and then lose track of things. I know this sounds very cliche but perseverance is key here. In further maths(and normal maths), some of the mechanics questions can be very frustrating. I would spend loads of time reaching an realistic answer only for the back of the book to tell me its totally off. I think the best thing in this kind of case is practicing after you understood it.

I used examsolutions for this, it has videos that I could just replay when needed and has worked examples of questions where they just go through questions. From then on I just found questions to do to practice what I've just watched. Ofc, at the start I did make a couple of errors but bit by bit I have seen some improvement.

You should give examsolutions a go for the videos, they might be very useful good luck ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayWithMarkers)
    This is interesting, a lot of what you're saying exactly follows how I used to feel. I was a very high achiever throughout early years of school (particularly in Maths), I was bumped up classes, I did national competitions for the school, and I was absolutely planning on going to an Oxbridge University. Then A Levels came and, well, I got lazy, frankly, the coasting stopped, I got a U on my Mathematics overall and felt like I'd lost the only thing I had going for me, which until then had been a modicum of intelligence.

All I'd say is, it doesn't go away, not really, just maybe Maths isn't the subject for you in reality. I'm heading off to an RG Uni to do Law later this year, not something I'd have imagined doing at 18. It can get better, you just need to learn how to really work for it again.
    If Maths isn't for me, I don't know what to do. It's too late for me to change because I need to go to University after year 13, I don't want to stay extra years to do different A Levels but I don't want to go to a "medicore" Uni either (as harsh as that sounds). I want to go to top Universities but I can't if I'm doing badly. I'm so stuck.

ReputationRep:
    get a new tutor. the current one is not helping with your mechanics journey.

ReputationRep:
    My suggestion to you is to start over, clear your head, stop worrying and rekindle you love for Maths.
    Which topics are you weak in? Maybe speak to your tutor and find out why you're doing 'this' or 'that' every step of the way.
    What mistakes do you make? Mistakes are good, it's important to identify them and avoid them in the future.
    If your tutor sucks that badly, watch videos on the topic. I recommend "The Organic Chemistry Tutor" on youtube.
    Remember why you're doing maths in the first place. Don't lose hope and trust in God.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.