Turn on thread page Beta

French translation of ‘une réac arc-boutée’? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this French phrase in my translation homework:

Et passer pour une réac arc-boutée sur un fonctionnement archaïque et subventionné.

It’s in the context of describing the decision to defend the cinema, and google hasn’t helped on this one. Thanks for anyone who helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowella)
    Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could help me with this French phrase in my translation homework:

Et passer pour une réac arc-boutée sur un fonctionnement archaïque et subventionné.

It’s in the context of describing the decision to defend the cinema, and google hasn’t helped on this one. Thanks for anyone who helps.
    réac is the shortened, familiar form for réactionnaire - i.e. old-fashioned, out-of-date.
    arc-bouté(e), in its literal sense, means buttressed or braced. In the metaphorical sense, as it is used here, it means die-hard - i.e. someone who will not change his/her opinion or way of doing things.
    subventionné means subsidised.

So this sentence could be translated as: And pass for a reactionary die-hard who refuses to change (or: happy to defend) an archaic and subsidised system.

fonctionnement is one of these wide-cover words which can be translated in a range of ways depending on context. You'll need to adapt this, obviously, but hopefully the basic meaning is clear now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anna Schoon)
    réac is the shortened, familiar form for réactionnaire - i.e. old-fashioned, out-of-date.
    arc-bouté(e), in its literal sense, means buttressed or braced. In the metaphorical sense, as it is used here, it means die-hard - i.e. someone who will not change his/her opinion or way of doing things.
    subventionné means subsidised.

So this sentence could be translated as: And pass for a reactionary die-hard who refuses to change (or: happy to defend) an archaic and subsidised system.

fonctionnement is one of these wide-cover words which can be translated in a range of ways depending on context. You'll need to adapt this, obviously, but hopefully the basic meaning is clear now.
    Thank you so much!

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.