Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey so I'm 16 and want to join the army. I want to join the army now so I can get away from home. Is there anyway I can do that. My parents are going to kick me out at 18 but I want to go out now but won't run away. I would like to earn money with joining the army as well so that I can buy a house. Is there anyway that I can join now though and by the way I'm a girl from Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanyamintu)
    Hey so I'm 16 and want to join the army. I want to join the army now so I can get away from home. Is there anyway I can do that. My parents are going to kick me out at 18 but I want to go out now but won't run away. I would like to earn money with joining the army as well so that I can buy a house. Is there anyway that I can join now though and by the way I'm a girl from Manchester.
    You can't join the Army when under 18 without your parents' permission.

There are ways of doing it, the Army has various routes in, but all of which require your parents to sign off on it - you can't do it on your own until you're 18+.

ReputationRep:
    Actually my parents know but I just need to know how to join another way then ?

ReputationRep:
    Actually my parents know but I just need to know how to join another way then ?
    What do you mean another way?

ReputationRep:
    Like in the cadets but they won't give money, right ?

ReputationRep:
    Like in the cadets but they won't give money, right ?
    There's the reserves, but you can't sign up for them until you're 18. Plus, it's part time, so you wouldn't be leaving your parents.

Contact the Army careers service, online or by phone, they'll direct you, but your options are massively limited because of your age.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Drewski)
    You can't join the Army when under 18 without your parents' permission.

There are ways of doing it, the Army has various routes in, but all of which require your parents to sign off on it - you can't do it on your own until you're 18+.
    I always found it rather contradictory that you can legally move out of your parents home and go your own way in the world at 16 but you cannot join the military without their consent at 16 and have to wait until you're 18 🙄

Sense makes none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    I always found it rather contradictory that you can legally move out of your parents home and go your own way in the world at 16 but you cannot join the military without their consent at 16 and have to wait until you're 18 🙄

Sense makes none.
    Various UN rules on child soldiers make it a weird one.
    Add to the that is the fact that anybody who does sign up at that age has to sign up again when they turn 18, and they can't go overseas at all until then - even if their regiment is off on a ski trip to the Alps, they're not allowed to go. And obviously, they can't go anywhere near operations until they're 18.

ReputationRep:
    Okay well thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    Okay well thanks anyways
    Have a look at the Army's website (and the RAF and RN) and see what appeals. There are options, you're just limited for a little while.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.