Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I have applied to study physiotherapy in Winchester University. I attended on an interview and just got back an email that I got rejected because I am not quite ready for the course. I went to have the interview with my friend who is going to the same Access Course as I do and she received the exact same email. I am 43 years old and she is 25. I have met the entry requirements, did good on the anatomy test, the group discussion was not really good as there was one lady who was very dominant and the rest of us did not really have a chance to bulge in, but I even mentioned this to the professor who interviewed me and he said that they have spotted this too.
    I seriously think that they have sorted out all the places and there are no more spaces left and they had to come up with some explanation, which I will not take and will object. I am 43 and have a medical massage diploma, my grades are great and my English was good for this course.Have emailed them to explain me what does really mean not being quite ready...
    Did anyone get some explanation like that... ? I think this does not sound right... as the friend just got the same email with the same offers to other courses, although she already has a diploma in the course they were recommending... so do not understand... anyone with kind of same ?
    thanks a lot
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by orangeandi)
    Hi guys, I have applied to study physiotherapy in Winchester University. I attended on an interview and just got back an email that I got rejected because I am not quite ready for the course. I went to have the interview with my friend who is going to the same Access Course as I do and she received the exact same email. I am 43 years old and she is 25. I have met the entry requirements, did good on the anatomy test, the group discussion was not really good as there was one lady who was very dominant and the rest of us did not really have a chance to bulge in, but I even mentioned this to the professor who interviewed me and he said that they have spotted this too.
    I seriously think that they have sorted out all the places and there are no more spaces left and they had to come up with some explanation, which I will not take and will object. I am 43 and have a medical massage diploma, my grades are great and my English was good for this course.Have emailed them to explain me what does really mean not being quite ready...
    Did anyone get some explanation like that... ? I think this does not sound right... as the friend just got the same email with the same offers to other courses, although she already has a diploma in the course they were recommending... so do not understand... anyone with kind of same ?
    thanks a lot
    Just ask them for feedback.
    I doubt they had sorted out all the places, just accept that on the day hey felt they had better candidates. You dont know because you wont have seen all their apps or been at the interview.

Did you apply anywhere else?

If you really want it then see use extra or see if anything pops up in clearing. If not reapply next year and improve in all areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Just ask them for feedback.
    I doubt they had sorted out all the places, just accept that on the day hey felt they had better candidates. You dont know because you wont have seen all their apps or been at the interview.

Did you apply anywhere else?

If you really want it then see use extra or see if anything pops up in clearing. If not reapply next year and improve in all areas.
    i have applied and I am a good student with a prediction of all distinction... how can they have a thinking about me not being ready... i think this is because of my age, honestly. No one wants a 43 old person blended amongst 20 year olds... how can a 20 year old be more ready than I am with some life experiences... ? Studied already 20 years of my life... so this is a very weak explanation of being rejected in my opinion ..
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    i have applied and I am a good student with a prediction of all distinction... how can they have a thinking about me not being ready... i think this is because of my age, honestly. No one wants a 43 old person blended amongst 20 year olds... how can a 20 year old be more ready than I am with some life experiences... ? Studied already 20 years of my life... so this is a very weak explanation of being rejected in my opinion ..
    It sounds like you are determined to have a conspiracy or be a victim.

What feedback have they given you?

What have your other choices/ interviews said?

It doesnt sound like grades.

Sounds more like your interview and assessment wasnt stellar.

Only they know what all the interviewees were like and how everyone performed. Presumably they interview over several days.

See what they have to say first. If you feel you were ripped off then apply elsewhere as it wouldn't have been suitable anyway.

ReputationRep:
    you are using words like ripped off or being a victim or conspiracy... I have my own belief why could they have rejected me and giving the exactly same explanation to another person, who already has a sport science degree and not being ready also... that just does not sound right... well, anyways... I have applied to other places. have an interview date w st georges and waiting for southampton ...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    you are using words like ripped off or being a victim or conspiracy... I have my own belief why could they have rejected me and giving the exactly same explanation to another person, who already has a sport science degree and not being ready also... that just does not sound right... well, anyways... I have applied to other places. have an interview date w st georges and waiting for southampton ...
    You (and your friend) need to request more detailed feedback.

You should be able to get a copy of the interviewers notes through the data protection act rules. Get in touch with them and request more detailed feedback in writing rather than jumping to conclusions based on a standard letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You (and your friend) need to request more detailed feedback.

You should be able to get a copy of the interviewers notes through the data protection act rules. Get in touch with them and request more detailed feedback in writing rather than jumping to conclusions based on a standard letter.
    yes thank you we did and got the exact same letter, just the name is different... so.. what can i say... ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    yes thank you we did and got the exact same letter, just the name is different... so.. what can i say... ?
    Then I would submit a data protection subject access request to get a copy of your interview notes.
    Their policy says:
    "Feedback given will be with reference to the selection criteria for the programme and will normally be communicated within 10 working days depending on busy application periods."
    https://winchester.ac.uk/about-us/le...ad=true&id=160

The rejection letter is NOT additional feedback - you need to request that separately and in writing (and if they don't provide it - as above - with reference to the selection criteria) then you can request a copy of all the information they hold about you including your interviewers notes and any internal emails discussing your application, rejection and requests for feedback. https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.