Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    Liberty accomodations are also used by quite a few. I know a couple people living at the new fitzalan place accomodation. Was just built over the last year and is right in front of queen's buildings so convenient location. They also apparently do a 5/7 day rent. Basically if your parents live nearby and you're not going to be in on the weekends, you can pay for 5 day weeks rather than 7. At least that's what my friend living there said
    Good to know, in your opinion how would you rank the more reputable privates ? Considering in terms of us students going to the Queens building, which is the closest, has the nearest grocery store, which is more spacious/modern in terms of room size and bathroom.

Arofan > Fitzalan > Liberty ? (Feel free to rearrange or add some which idk about)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leosam)
    Good to know, in your opinion how would you rank the more reputable privates ? Considering in terms of us students going to the Queens building, which is the closest, has the nearest grocery store, which is more spacious/modern in terms of room size and bathroom.

Arofan > Fitzalan > Liberty ? (Feel free to rearrange or add some which idk about)
    I don't exactly know the pricing for the size of rooms. Since I'm pretty sure they all offer sizable studio flats. And pretty sure all are pretty modern so I'm just going to go by distance to lectures and stores.

So fitzalan>arofan>liberty
    Fitzalan is literally across the street from Queens so it's the closest. There is also one stop shop attached to it so pretty much just have to walk outside. Not to mention it's right by town where you have Sainsbury's and tescos like 5min walk away.

Arofan is a bit further to walk but it's right by city road. Think there's a tescos there but also it's where most takeouts are based and there's a spoons there too. So less choice for proper grocery shopping and a bit further to walk.

Liberty depends on which accomodation you go for. Liberty gardens is the shortest walk I think, about 10 minutes. But it's also about same walk into town. So shops aren't that far away but no one that's really close by if you ran out of milk making cereal and need to pop in to get more.

ReputationRep:
    I don't exactly know the pricing for the size of rooms. Since I'm pretty sure they all offer sizable studio flats. And pretty sure all are pretty modern so I'm just going to go by distance to lectures and stores.

So fitzalan>arofan>liberty
    Fitzalan is literally across the street from Queens so it's the closest. There is also one stop shop attached to it so pretty much just have to walk outside. Not to mention it's right by town where you have Sainsbury's and tescos like 5min walk away.

Arofan is a bit further to walk but it's right by city road. Think there's a tescos there but also it's where most takeouts are based and there's a spoons there too. So less choice for proper grocery shopping and a bit further to walk.

Liberty depends on which accomodation you go for. Liberty gardens is the shortest walk I think, about 10 minutes. But it's also about same walk into town. So shops aren't that far away but no one that's really close by if you ran out of milk making cereal and need to pop in to get more.
    Alright thanks for your opinion, all these info helps tremendously in my consideration and hopefully an enjoyable first year ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Alright thanks for your opinion, all these info helps tremendously in my consideration and hopefully an enjoyable first year ahead.
    I had to drop by SU and found out that they're building new private halls called crown place. It's just between queen's buildings and SU so would be 5 min walk to lectures and shops. May be worth considering depending on the prices. It is supposed to be built in time for September 2018 entry

ReputationRep:
    I was in Senghennydd Hall in first year and absolutely loved it!

ReputationRep:
    I had to drop by SU and found out that they're building new private halls called crown place. It's just between queen's buildings and SU so would be 5 min walk to lectures and shops. May be worth considering depending on the prices. It is supposed to be built in time for September 2018 entry
    Probably gonna choose private but don't feel like forking out too much also. But most privates standard ensuite and building itself already outperform what most Uni accommodation has to offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePhoenixLament)
    I was in Senghennydd Hall in first year and absolutely loved it!
    What made it enjoyable ? Did you stay in the ensuite rooms ?

One point of Uni halls that irks me is that the cleaning crew do inspections on your floor and rooms. I mean I'm not an untidy or screwed up person that don't clean up or take care of the place but I feel as a paying customer, they shouldn't give attitude or trouble about cleaning the place. "We pay for the service, you provide it and don't overstep privacy" is what I believe, because cleaning fees are definitely added. Compared to private where cleaning is sort of "like a hotel" where you don't really interact or get investigated. They simply take good care and everyone gets along like a well managed hotel.

There's also a risk of your flat getting many immature freshers that just wants to party or don't take care of the place etc... Not saying all of them but there is no doubt private seems to be where more of the "civilized, classy, well behaved/mannered people are at"

ReputationRep:

One point of Uni halls that irks me is that the cleaning crew do inspections on your floor and rooms. I mean I'm not an untidy or screwed up person that don't clean up or take care of the place but I feel as a paying customer, they shouldn't give attitude or trouble about cleaning the place. "We pay for the service, you provide it and don't overstep privacy" is what I believe, because cleaning fees are definitely added. Compared to private where cleaning is sort of "like a hotel" where you don't really interact or get investigated. They simply take good care and everyone gets along like a well managed hotel.

There's also a risk of your flat getting many immature freshers that just wants to party or don't take care of the place etc... Not saying all of them but there is no doubt private seems to be where more of the "civilized, classy, well behaved/mannered people are at"
    ??? all private halls that i've heard of have room inspections, it's definitely not constrained to just uni halls haha

also in my experience cleaning in private halls is not like a hotel; they don't clean our flats at all where uni halls the bathroom & kitchen (if shared) were cleaned weekly, which is really helpful when you have messy flatmates bc they get told off (not that i'm bitter about that feature not existing in my private halls :^) )

in terms of maturity/"more civilised" ppl i wouldn't say there's that much of a difference; uni halls are obviously majority freshers so parties whenever whereas private is usually international/antisocial upper years, so parties are more contained. also people are obviously richer in private on average if that's what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aquamelon)
    ??? all private halls that i've heard of have room inspections, it's definitely not constrained to just uni halls haha

also in my experience cleaning in private halls is not like a hotel; they don't clean our flats at all where uni halls the bathroom & kitchen (if shared) were cleaned weekly, which is really helpful when you have messy flatmates bc they get told off (not that i'm bitter about that feature not existing in my private halls :^) )

in terms of maturity/"more civilised" ppl i wouldn't say there's that much of a difference; uni halls are obviously majority freshers so parties whenever whereas private is usually international/antisocial upper years, so parties are more contained. also people are obviously richer in private on average if that's what you mean.
    Great insight, what made you move to private other then being with close friends ? I was told privates got their kitchens/corridor cleaned weekly but I assume they don't clean the rooms because its all en suite (only kitchen is shared) so you kinda have to settle it yourself as I believe they don't want to be accuse of theft and give privacy also.

ReputationRep:
    Great insight, what made you move to private other then being with close friends ? I was told privates got their kitchens/corridor cleaned weekly but I assume they don't clean the rooms because its all en suite (only kitchen is shared) so you kinda have to settle it yourself as I believe they don't want to be accuse of theft and give privacy also.
    I think cleaning depends on your halls tbh, definitely something to check before you book! Arofan doesn't do anything, but others probably will? The weekly kitchen/corridor cleaning is standard in the uni accommodations.

I moved into private as a last resort basically - I was supposed to be doing an international placement but it fell through. Most of my friends share a house fairly near me which is good!

ReputationRep:
    I'm basically In a similar situation to you, and although I know you asked for current students I hope It's okay If I offer my two cents. I haven't taken a full look at Arofan house, but IMO the best residences I found were Glendower House, Eclipse, and Fitzalan. Although I'm particularly more interested in Eclipse than the other two, they're all about 5 to 7 minutes from the Queens building, pretty spacious, have a good host of amenities and generally good looking from the pictures I've seen. With that said, you should try your luck on the Cardiff and Cardiff University subreddit and ask the question there. I forgot who they were and where the post Is, but I found a few people who were staying at Fitzalan and Gordon Hall, so If you haven't already, It's worth asking around there.

ReputationRep:

I was in an ensuite room. It was close to town and was relatively clean. Cleaners came twice a week with a deep clean of the kitchen once a week. We were a very clean flat though so it was never really an issue. My ensuite was an actual room not a wetroom- there was a shower cubicle, sink and toilet which I liked. Houses 1 and 3 have really big rooms for halls although the kitchen was quite small. The opposite was the case in house 2, but I don't think any of the kitchens in house 2 had a window so they were normally the ones setting off the fire alarms (this will happen wherever you go, and they have to test it weekly).
    Room inspections are standard wherever you are- I'm in a privately rented house and we still are expecting a "mid-term inspection" this week. However, they give you notice and they're just to check the room isn't broken and you haven't got anything you shouldn't.
    You've got the risk of those kind of people wherever you go. I know plenty of people in private halls who treat the place like a dump because they're paying enough so feel entitled to treat it how they want. You can't choose the people, so choose the place you want to be!

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone considered renting an apartment in the city centre, like 5 or 6 students, I reckon it would be favourable for all requirements? cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsui Yuen Chen)
    Has anyone considered renting an apartment in the city centre, like 5 or 6 students, I reckon it would be favourable for all requirements? cheers
    Most second/third year students do so but there's usually some bedrooms in such shares available anyway

ReputationRep:
    Most second/third year students do so but there's usually some bedrooms in such shares available anyway
    Ye it's just that I find the university accommodation somewhat pricey, and I'm looking into how I could cut down my expenses. I'm not from Cardiff and can only arrive there in late August, but I want to get accommodation sorted out... Do you maybe happen to know anyone who knows something about private accommodation for Year 1 students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsui Yuen Chen)
    Ye it's just that I find the university accommodation somewhat pricey, and I'm looking into how I could cut down my expenses. I'm not from Cardiff and can only arrive there in late August, but I want to get accommodation sorted out... Do you maybe happen to know anyone who knows something about private accommodation for Year 1 students?
    you can always check on places like gumtree, soareroom and easyroommate. You will probably have to pay monthly and pay a deposit tho.

there is also Cardiff Student Lettings which are specifically university run
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I want to study at cardiff. I don't know which accommodation to choose.
    needs to have
    1)ensuite
    2)not a tiny room
    3) i am a party girl so somewhere social is vital but i am also serious about work so somewhere that can cater for both needs
    4) flats 4-8 people, no smaller
    5) CLEAN (not run down or disgusting looking)
    I'm not fussed about the price so basically any recommendations for that criteria
    thanks x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 9, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.