Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm 21 this year and have had anxiety for the past 6/7 years, mostly caused by my dad drinking throughout my childhood and a general negative atmosphere at home growing up. I'm pretty much on top of my anxiety now (and on meds currently), but relationships are still something that make me feel so panicky and sick again, and I can't get my head around it...The same thing seems to be happening over and over- I meet someone and become close to them really quickly and pour my all into spending time with them and talking to them, and then as soon as they open up to me about their feelings towards me I instantly feel myself shut off from them and not want to be involved anymore, no matter how much I liked them before. Sometimes when it happens I also get these thoughts that the relationship is one sided (me being more involved it in than them), or that they don't actually have any interest in me and it's just a joke to them and sometimes I just feel trapped and like everything is moving too fast. This has happened several times over the past few years, and I just have no explanation for it. It's become this running joke with my friends and family that I can't hold down a relationship.... it's annoying as hell lol Has anyone experienced anything like this at all?? Or even have any ideas why my brain keeps doing this to me

It's totally normal I'd say. Ask him/her if u could take the relationship slow, and tell him/her about how your feeling about it and ask them how they're feeling about the relationship at the moment. Once they share what theyre feeling and everything about it'll put u at ease.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.