Turn on thread page Beta

Do you get criticised for actually studying? watch

ReputationRep:
    I find I get looked down upon for actually working in college, does anyone else get this?

For example today we got our mock results back and i did quite well (AAB). My friend did not do as bad as she said she did, she made out like it was awful (ACC). She texted me to say she got a C in her favourite subject and I couldn’t reply at the time. About 15 minutes later she sent a text saying “I bet you got an A”. This kinda gets on my nerves a bit but I usually let it go. But she usually brags quite a lot when she gets a good grade, and I tend to not mention what I get unless someone asks.

Does anyone else get this? And what do you do about it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Why are you studying? All the cool kids have cocaine orgies and get into uni because Daddy is rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chad_DeLad)
    Why are you studying? All the cool kids have cocaine orgies and get into uni because Daddy is rich.
    Haha that’s probably true for some!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I wouldn't say this is being criticised for studying. But the whole "lol you're a nerd, why do you study so much" thing is pretty common in education. I don't tend to get it often though since I stop associating with those sorts of people.

Anyone that makes fun of you or crticises you for studying is an idiot. They might as well be making fun of you for trying to be intelligent, or trying to do well life. But the content of the original post doesn't match up with this and I don't really see any criticism in the OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    I wouldn't say this is being criticised for studying. But the whole "lol you're a nerd, why do you study so much" thing is pretty common in education. I don't tend to get it often though since I stop associating with those sorts of people.

Anyone that makes fun of you or crticises you for studying is an idiot. They might as well be making fun of you for trying to be intelligent, or trying to do well life. But the content of the original post doesn't match up with this and I don't really see any criticism in the OP.
    Yeah I completely agree.
    I couldn’t really think of another word that sounded right. Maybe joked about, but it’s never really a joking context with me. It’s usually they just point it out, or say something like “yeah obviously you studied”.

ReputationRep:
    Childish, passive aggressive behaviour. Someone is clearly jealous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rickyrossman)
    +1

(Original post by rickyrossman)
    +1

Well I’ve experienced a similar thing in high school. I’ve mostly (until a year back) gotten high grades. And all my friends now kind of expect it of me, and if I say I’m nervous or ****, they’ll be like, “you will obviously score well”. And say i get a good grade n my friends don’t, well once my friend got quite a bad score, everyone was trying to console her and the moment i took a steps towards, she looked at me as if to say, ‘i won’t get it cause i got good score or I shouldn’t even try’

Its annoying seriously, so much so that even if I score well, I get self conscious to show that happiness on my face.

Well about what you do about it, I just got used to it. I mean what can I do? I ignored those comments and just didn’t start the whole topic about grades n all with them. I mean you can judge who will act in what way. So during result announcements n all I just didn’t discuss my grades with those people or quickly heard theirs, told mine and walked ahead. Basically i didn’t break my friendship or anything just avoided that topic or casually changed the subject.

It sounds like a bit of effort but it comes naturally after a while.And i have people i openly discuss my studies with, people who don’t act like them.

Well this was the outcome of my situation.

ReputationRep:
    I’ve been in ur position practically my whole life. In uni I’ve noticed that people are way happier for you. It’s just immaturity mixed with jealousy. Keep doing you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Chad_DeLad)
    Wow is that what ppl acc think about us student these days?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well I’ve experienced a similar thing in high school. I’ve mostly (until a year back) gotten high grades. And all my friends now kind of expect it of me, and if I say I’m nervous or ****, they’ll be like, “you will obviously score well”. And say i get a good grade n my friends don’t, well once my friend got quite a bad score, everyone was trying to console her and the moment i took a steps towards, she looked at me as if to say, ‘i won’t get it cause i got good score or I shouldn’t even try’

Its annoying seriously, so much so that even if I score well, I get self conscious to show that happiness on my face.
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well about what you do about it, I just got used to it. I mean what can I do? I ignored those comments and just didn’t start the whole topic about grades n all with them. I mean you can judge who will act in what way. So during result announcements n all I just didn’t discuss my grades with those people or quickly heard theirs, told mine and walked ahead. Basically i didn’t break my friendship or anything just avoided that topic or casually changed the subject.

It sounds like a bit of effort but it comes naturally after a while.And i have people i openly discuss my studies with, people who don’t act like them.

Well this was the outcome of my situation.
    This is quite true, i try to avoid the subject really and never ask others for their grades. Im usually support as well when others do well. I just seem to attract people who feel it is a competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fizzy98)
    I’ve been in ur position practically my whole life. In uni I’ve noticed that people are way happier for you. It’s just immaturity mixed with jealousy. Keep doing you.
    Aww that’s good, good luck with uni!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 19, 2018
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.