Turn on thread page Beta

I've been an apprentice teaching assistant for about 6 months now and i am studying level 2 nvq. At first i loved the job but i have found as time has gone by the job has become more and more stressful and right now i am finding it to much for me. I no longer feel confident in the role or environment i am working in. Each day i am told to do things that i should not be doing like covering lessons? Is that even legal i am not even level 2 qualified. I also feel i have not had enough training for this role. My boss does not allow me to attend my college day as she says i am "too intelligent for that" however my training provider wasn't happy about that so i have 3 hours of college once a month and i feel that is not enough to succeed. Im so close to quitting but am i able to just quit? Will they charge me fees? pls help. I really want to do a business admin apprenticeship.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been an apprentice teaching assistant for about 6 months now and i am studying level 2 nvq. At first i loved the job but i have found as time has gone by the job has become more and more stressful and right now i am finding it to much for me. I no longer feel confident in the role or environment i am working in. Each day i am told to do things that i should not be doing like covering lessons? Is that even legal i am not even level 2 qualified. I also feel i have not had enough training for this role. My boss does not allow me to attend my college day as she says i am "too intelligent for that" however my training provider wasn't happy about that so i have 3 hours of college once a month and i feel that is not enough to succeed. Im so close to quitting but am i able to just quit? Will they charge me fees? pls help. I really want to do a business admin apprenticeship.
    They have to let you attend your training days. That's kind of the whole point of an apprenticeship...

They cannot charge you any fees. Quit like a normal job, hand in notice, serve your notice period and leave.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    An employer cannot recover training fees from apprentices, current or former.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...S_V2_FINAL.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tubbz)
    They have to let you attend your training days. That's kind of the whole point of an apprenticeship...

They cannot charge you any fees. Quit like a normal job, hand in notice, serve your notice period and leave.
    very helpful, thankyou.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi there,

As part of an apprenticeship you must be working towards an accredited qualification and attend the college/training provider in which you have been enrolled with for the hours agreed within your contract.

If you are leading lessons you should be supervised by the teacher at all times. It could be part of your apprenticeship to lead with lessons to demonstrate your leadership abilities but as I said this must be supervised.

You have a few different options open to you here:

You could ask for a meeting with your employer/training provider to discuss your concerns and try to resolve the issue moving forward.

You could look for alternative TA apprenticeships within your local area to try and continue your level 2 with a different employer.

You could leave your current apprenticeship and change direction. You are an employee with employee rights and you are free to leave once you have formally handed in your notice and worked the notice period stated in your contract.

I hope this helps, the National Careers Service is available on TSR for you to contact at any time to support you further or you can chat with an adviser through our website here - https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ontact-us/home

Thanks - Sophie.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.