Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently applying for student finance as I am starting university in September 2018. I moved to England in the summer of 2015 with my family. I understand that I am entitled to a tuition fee loan. However I have been given contradictory answers on whether I will be able to receive a maintenance loan. I am an Irish citizen, from my understanding by law any Irish citizen automatically has indefinite leave to remain when they enter the country and so automatically has settled status. Which means I can apply for a maintenance loan with no problem?

I did ring student finance previously and the person I spoke with was of little help. I mentioned my circumstances and they were unaware of what I should do, I also mentioned maybe I should apply as an EEA child of a migrant worker. I am hoping that you will be able to clarify whether I should have to apply as a migrant worker or if I can apply as settled status and if so what information I will need to provide.

Thank you.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by SianJo18)
    I am currently applying for student finance as I am starting university in September 2018. I moved to England in the summer of 2015 with my family. I understand that I am entitled to a tuition fee loan. However I have been given contradictory answers on whether I will be able to receive a maintenance loan. I am an Irish citizen, from my understanding by law any Irish citizen automatically has indefinite leave to remain when they enter the country and so automatically has settled status. Which means I can apply for a maintenance loan with no problem?

I did ring student finance previously and the person I spoke with was of little help. I mentioned my circumstances and they were unaware of what I should do, I also mentioned maybe I should apply as an EEA child of a migrant worker. I am hoping that you will be able to clarify whether I should have to apply as a migrant worker or if I can apply as settled status and if so what information I will need to provide.

Thank you.
    Hi Sian,

In order to apply to Student Finance for Maintenance Loan and Tuition Fee Loan and you are a Republic of Ireland national you would be required to meet the following residency.

Republic of Ireland Nationals
    • Republic of Ireland (ROI) nationals must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course.
    • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

If you meet the above criteria then you can apply to Student Finance England for Home student funding.You can apply online or complete a PN1 application.

Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your reply. I will have been living here three years before the start of my course. I am confused as to why I will need to complete a PN1 application as this is the application for the child of a migrant worker.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by SianJo18)
    Thank you for your reply. I will have been living here three years before the start of my course. I am confused as to why I will need to complete a PN1 application as this is the application for the child of a migrant worker.
    Hi SianJo18,

A PN1 application is the application for Student Finance England funding. It is not just for students applying for Migrant worker status.

Thanks

Louise

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.