Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

9's at GCSE English - AMA + Advice watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image-cdb1bea5-b038-4fe9-b2b4-999ec5c3f8d51119921974-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  79.4 KB here's an example of my STILTS it may be difficult to read but the process of choosing out quotes, analysing and writing them up and highlighting key points are what really helps you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image-75f96ab8-f775-47c1-9b5d-19d776c6f13d219721932-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  95.0 KB Sybil Birling analysis table, this method in particular was very useful

ReputationRep:
    How many quotes did you learn in total and how do you think was the best way to learn them?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image-cc664fe9-2ed1-4199-96f8-4726bab38cbb16459155-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 35
Size:  102.1 KB
    Name:  image-e765341a-acb9-4d5d-bb31-565a78f473211370401091-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 34
Size:  64.5 KB
    example of Inspector calls Themes plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psaa)
    How many quotes did you learn in total and how do you think was the best way to learn them?
    yikes, I'd say around maybe 40 per text? Im not sure tbh, I sort of just remembered the odd few words here and there, but look at my Inspector Calls method, that really helped me when revising

ReputationRep:
    thank you !

ReputationRep:
    Have you got any tips for passing the exam,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CinnamonSmol)
    WJEC, Macbeth, Inspector Calls, Silas Marner and then an assortment of different poems
    I did AQA, Macbeth, Inspector Calls, Sherlock Holmes: The Sign of the Four, and Power and Conflict poems

ReputationRep:
    it's not hard. wait till you do a level and go to uni. but GCSEs have always been laid back even if the new ones were supposed to be so much harder

ReputationRep:
    ayee thanks I'm going to hit the college library tomorrow morning so I'll definitely check them out

As long as you can motivate yourself and work hard I'm sure you'll be fine!

(Okay I know it sounds dramatic bc I literally did gcses like under a year ago and it wasnt even traumatic, but my mind has pretty much supressed most memories of GCSEs oops)
    But yeah, I would usually work in big chunks of different subjects so like 5 pages of notes for one subject (2-3 days) and then move to another, it stressed me out to not be focussing at all subjects but then once I got in the zone I often didnt want to stop
    Thank you
    Ahaaaa your handwriting is so nice

ReputationRep:
    No problem
    Hi! I'm sorry but I have one last question please! Did you analyse a specific word in the quote you provided?

ReputationRep:
    How the hell are you supposed to write so much? Like, jeez! Our teacher says we need to write about 4 A4's for each lit essay. The most I've every done is 2.5 sides size 12 font 1.15 spacing. How can we write 4? That just seems way too much.

Thanks!

Tbh though I managed to write 5 pages for creative writing for my lan exam yesterday, size 12 1.15 spacing.

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome, well done! Just to let you know, I recieved consistent 7's and occasional 8's near the end of course, you're on the right track at the moment! You never know, your teachers may just be harsh markers
    Macbeth and Silas Marner -if anyone asks me help about Silas Marner then soz I refuse to help I've only read the 2nd page oops
    I just googled a summary of Silas Marner... It's so frigging boring. How did you deal with that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soundgirl)
    whattttt an 8 is your worst grade?!!!
    Yeah im sorry im trying to make it better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by durararara)
    Hi! I'm sorry but I have one last question please! Did you analyse a specific word in the quote you provided?
    no worries, when analysing quotes it's better to analyse/specify which particular word gives u an impression for example When Macbeth states 'We are yet young in deed' the word 'yet' indicates that he intends to further commit murder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatelife2)
    I just googled a summary of Silas Marner... It's so frigging boring. How did you deal with that?
    lmao I dont even know tbh, by not reading the book then stressing about it day before exam bc I didnt read it oops -George Eliots writing style is vnsmd;lfms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEyeOfBaradDur)
    How the hell are you supposed to write so much? Like, jeez! Our teacher says we need to write about 4 A4's for each lit essay. The most I've every done is 2.5 sides size 12 font 1.15 spacing. How can we write 4? That just seems way too much.

Thanks!

Tbh though I managed to write 5 pages for creative writing for my lan exam yesterday, size 12 1.15 spacing.
    see I was exactly like that, I didnt get how everyone managed to write so much, focus on quality of content. when youre in the exam itll all just come to you and you'll write much more than you realise -dont focus on quantity, do quality.

I ended up writing 4/5 pages but that was because my writing is really long and messy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toastiekid)
    Thank you
    Ahaaaa your handwriting is so nice
    aww thanks, that's my fake handwriting I use for notes lol if you saw my real writing lol its all cursive and messy and hveinfjeriox,s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusuf16789)
    Have you got any tips for passing the exam,
    no worries I would honestly say just do the best you can and in the exam dont even stress yourself out, once you do the exam just accept it, dont talk about answers unless you want to make yourself feel worse and just focus on your next exam, its not the end of the world if things dont go to plan and most of the time you often do better than you think

ReputationRep:
    aww thanks, that's my fake handwriting I use for notes lol if you saw my real writing lol its all cursive and messy and hveinfjeriox,s
    I’m not the only one with more than one handwriting?!
    AGH IN EXAMS MY HANDWRITING BECOMES THAT OF A FIVE YEAR OLD

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 25, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.