9's at GCSE English - AMA + Advice Watch

CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
I'll ask for you The English forum does have a ridiculous level of stickies so they could do with a sort through anyway!

See above
noice, thanks
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by CinnamonSmol)
noice, thanks
What did you find to be the hardest part of English at GCSE?:curious:
Lemur14
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
noice, thanks
Unfortunately a sticky isn't possible at the moment, but we've put it in the widget for a little bit so hopefully people will see it Obviously you can also answer people's questions in the English forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
What did you find to be the hardest part of English at GCSE?:curious:
definitely how I would actually be structuring my notes and how to find a method that was useful and would actually stick in my head, that and motivating myself to study for English due to the overwhoelming feeling of so much work, but once you get into studying, it isn't as bad!
04MR17
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
definitely how I would actually be structuring my notes and how to find a method that was useful and would actually stick in my head, that and motivating myself to study for English due to the overwhoelming feeling of so much work, but once you get into studying, it isn't as bad!
And your highlight?
physicseastldn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for notes.
OMG354
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I received two 9's at GCSE for both English Lit and Lang (Englishes? English's? whatever) I've been around TSR recently giving advice for what I did and I surprisingly received a lot more questions than I expected.

As a result, I'll be adding my tips and tricks that helped me through GCSE English and will be happy to answer any questions

Inspector Calls:
Spoiler:
Show

I did this for Inspector Calls however you can probably adapt it into a different text:
-Begin your revision by starting with your character notes, I did mine in a table, divided into 3 (well, 4) sections.

1. Person's Character: Choose 5 main quotes that are memorable, from or about the character (6-8 words max)
Follow PEEL. Write down the point you want to make about the Character, include the quote and write down what it shows you/what the quote implies. Finally, write a simple sentence, summarising what it tells you about their character.

2. What they did to Eva/Attitude to her death: again, 5 quotes that explain what the character did to Eva. This helps you be selective with explaining their role in Eva's death, as you don't want to be too descriptive. It also helps you back up your previous points about their character) Do the PEEL again.

3. Character development: What do they say/do end of play? Have they changed? How do you know and what does this show? - 5 quotes and PEEL

4. Select quotes you've already chosen from your previous 3 columns that fit into a theme, eg. Gender Roles, Power, Money, etc.
You can repeat your points if applicable but the point is to make it easier for when you do your theme notes. It can vary from 3-4.

The point of this is to essentially break down the writing of an essay and have around 15 easy quotes to remember for your character from the start, middle and end so even if you have an extract question (Depends on your board), you're sorted, no matter where it is in the play. I made sure that my notes + quotes were in chronological order just so it's easier to remember when trying to recall what you wrote in the plan, whilst writing the essay.

For your theme essays, simply write out an introduction (try and integrate a few cheeky quotes here and there -you dont have to) and then go character by character the different theme quote/points you have already written down.

Macbeth (or any Shakespeare play)
Spoiler:
Show

For your Shakespeare play, in my case, Macbeth, I'd begin by writing down every possible question that could come up, Lady Macbeth and Macbeth's relationship, Banquo, Kingship, The Witches', etc. As (at least for me) this question is 40 marks if I recall correctly, you need to be prepared for anything.

I suggest a 5x5 method. 5 paragraphs, each with 5 main points (PEEL).
Write down your point/the introduction to it, then write down the quote that supports it and then what it shows and why its relevant.

For your main characters, Lady Macbeth, Macbeth, Banquo and Witches, I suggest doing a a short 5 line plan of each paragraph so on the day of the exam you can merely glance at it, rather than stress yourself out with vast notes.

Poems:
Spoiler:
Show

Write your poems out in a STILTS + C structure

Subject -What the poem is about
Theme- different themes poem adresses, aftermath of war, greed, heartbreak, etc
Imagery- any metaphors, similies or figurative language the poem uses
Language- verbs, nouns and the sort of words the poet uses to create a certain effect
Tone - Elegaic, Happy, Longing? How does the poet sound?
Structure - Stanzas, Enjambement, Iambic Pentameter, etc, does the poet use any of these and what does this create?

Context- A bit about the poet and what prompted them to write this poem.

Imagery, Language and Structure are your most important, focus on these the most and you'll definitely recieve better marks.

After that, write down all the different pairs you could do for your poems comparison and draw out a table of similarities and differences for each

NOTE: EXAMPLE OF MY NOTES ARE ON PAGE 2 AND 3 OF THIS THREAD

Whilst I appreciate that some of you may need help on a specific character, theme, etc, I wont be posting any other note requests on here just because
a) Takes too much time
b) I'm doing this voluntarily to help give an example of what you could be doing for your OWN revision, not giving the answers away to someone who has a class test tomorrw, it's not fair. I'm hoping my examples clear up questions some of you may have

Hope this helps!
When did you start revising for the literature poetry ???
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
OkThanksBye
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I presume you take English at college, what did read before college in the summer to prepare?
YouAreAYute
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey, well done for the sick grades
if you had a question in the exam that you hadnt planned out an answer for, how would you go about it?
Danwilkes02
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Got 9's on mocks but ended up with a 7 in the exam. That damn autumn poem screwed me up
anonymous_1947
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi and thank you for your advice; very helpful indeed and I’ll make sure I’ll take it on board.

Just one question... for the poems how would you be able to put them into comparative pairs? I mean the exam will never say “how does the writer present power/conflict”; it will always be more specific and say “power of loss” for example or the “effects of conflict” so how would you be able to group them as the question is more specific?

For e.g, I paired up the emigree and storm on the island as they both show the power of place having a profound effect on humans, however when the named poem (storm on the Island) came up, the question came up about the power of nature. So surely you would have to make a comparative pair for every theme in the poem which would be very time consuming.

Sorry for the long essay! I’m just a tad bit confused!
wheresmunchkin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
TO ALL THOSE PEOPLE ACHIEVING TOP GRADES IN ENGLISH, WILL YOU PLEASE HELP OUT BECAUSE I NEED HELP AND ID BE APPRECIATED, IVE TRIED LOTS OF THINGS TO IMPROVE MY GRADE 3 BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING AND MY ENGLISH LANG EXAM IS IN 56 DAYS, AND MY TARGET, BELIEVE IT OR NOT IS A 7
ps sorry for the caps, urgent help
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
And your highlight?
Actually doing my exam and realising that I tried the best that I could and thats all that mattered, whatever happened happened but it wasnt the end of the world
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by physicseastldn)
Thanks for notes.
no problem -good luck!
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by OMG354)
When did you start revising for the literature poetry ???
I began my notes around easter time, but as I had my other subjects to do also, I finished them 5 days before the actual exam!
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by OkThanksBye)
I presume you take English at college, what did read before college in the summer to prepare?
Yup, I take English Literature and Language, I recieved transition work from my college so I got to see what books we'd be studying, I thus read Handmaid's Tale, despite the fact we actually started it in class a few months later -this is great as you'll find you have some ideas forming in your head already.

I also read 1984 -I admittedly didnt do much reading in the summer due to NCS, Holidays and other stuff but I would recommend

Handmaid's Tale
Animal Farm
Catcher in the Rye
Lord of the Flies
Pride and Prejudice

if you dont know what to read (I tend to read classics/criticially acclaimed books so I understand references to them when I see them in class)
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by YouAreAYute)
hey, well done for the sick grades
if you had a question in the exam that you hadnt planned out an answer for, how would you go about it?
thanks fam the exam board will ask you something quite general so I wouldnt worry about it, but I would say to underline what its asking you to write about, what theme? Then think about what you know and whether its actually asking you something you've already prepared for in class. Just remain calm, you probably know the answer, structure your essay how you'd structure any essay but just make sure your points relate to the question everytime. PEEL is your best friend!
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous_1947)
Hi and thank you for your advice; very helpful indeed and I’ll make sure I’ll take it on board.

Just one question... for the poems how would you be able to put them into comparative pairs? I mean the exam will never say “how does the writer present power/conflict”; it will always be more specific and say “power of loss” for example or the “effects of conflict” so how would you be able to group them as the question is more specific?

For e.g, I paired up the emigree and storm on the island as they both show the power of place having a profound effect on humans, however when the named poem (storm on the Island) came up, the question came up about the power of nature. So surely you would have to make a comparative pair for every theme in the poem which would be very time consuming.

Sorry for the long essay! I’m just a tad bit confused!
hey its cool, im here to help! What I did when I had some free time was jot down every single theme it could possibly ask you. Also realise that when it asks you something like 'power of loss' its really just realting to a general theme like death / effects of conflict it could me about war. Dont overthink it, the question may be phrased weird but its really just being specific to see how you react.

anywho, yeah, make a list of every theme that could come up and then put your poems in all of the ones it fits in to, from there, pair them up (some poems are better at pairing up with more than one poem than others and if anything it makes it easier!) you dont need to do an essay for each of them, just have a few main points at outlined/jotted down so you feel prepared for anything
CinnamonSmol
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Danwilkes02)
Got 9's on mocks but ended up with a 7 in the exam. That damn autumn poem screwed me up
still an A! Well done are you talkinng about that poem To Autumn by Keats?
OkThanksBye
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yup, I take English Literature and Language, I recieved transition work from my college so I got to see what books we'd be studying, I thus read Handmaid's Tale, despite the fact we actually started it in class a few months later -this is great as you'll find you have some ideas forming in your head already.

I also read 1984 -I admittedly didnt do much reading in the summer due to NCS, Holidays and other stuff but I would recommend

Handmaid's Tale
Animal Farm
Catcher in the Rye
Lord of the Flies
Pride and Prejudice

if you dont know what to read (I tend to read classics/criticially acclaimed books so I understand references to them when I see them in class)
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (386)
25.99%
The paper was reasonable (641)
43.16%
Not feeling great about that exam (295)
19.87%
It was TERRIBLE (163)
10.98%

Watched Threads