Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've just done the CHEM1 paper from June 15, and have a few questions - thought I'd ask on here before taking any to my tutor

1) firstly in pV=nRT is n the moles of gas produced? - I'm pretty sure it is I just wanted to clarify!

2) if you are told that something has 95% yield, do you multiply the original moles/mass by 100/95? I was doing this later in my method but it seems that on mark schemes they do this as the first step?

3) How to work out the number of electrons on the azide ion, N3 ^- (so overall charge of -1)?
    I did 3 x 14 which is 42 and added 1 for the negative charge, which gave me a total of 43. But the answer is 44 and I'm not sure where the extra electron came from?

4) And finally, how do you work out the formula of magnesium azide? The azide being the N3^- ion
    How would the negative charge impact the formula? The correct answer is MgN6 just not sure how they get there

Thanks so much if anyone can help with any of these

ReputationRep:
    1) yes, n is the moles
    4) So am Mg ion has a 2+ charge. Since N3 has a singular -1 charge, you'd need 2 N3 for every Mg if that makes sense.
    Sorry I didn't answer the other two, am too lazy to read haha
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilN)
    1) yes, n is the moles
    4) So am Mg ion has a 2+ charge. Since N3 has a singular -1 charge, you'd need 2 N3 for every Mg if that makes sense.
    Sorry I didn't answer the other two, am too lazy to read haha
    Thank you and haha no problem! Can I just clarify n is the moles of GAS only? So if you had other solid products they're not included?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazz_xox_)
    Thank you and haha no problem! Can I just clarify n is the moles of GAS only? So if you had other solid products they're not included?
    No problem haha, yeah it's the moles of the gas only! I don't think I've ever come across a question that has solid products or that requires you to exclude solid products so wouldn't worry about that too much. About question 3 though, you've been asked to work out the number of electrons in the azide ion, shouldn't you be doing 3 x 7 since 14 is the mass of a nitrogen atom, not the amount of electrons it has? Which then questions why the answer is 44 haha
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LilN)
    No problem haha, yeah it's the moles of the gas only! I don't think I've ever come across a question that has solid products or that requires you to exclude solid products so wouldn't worry about that too much. About question 3 though, you've been asked to work out the number of electrons in the azide ion, shouldn't you be doing 3 x 7 since 14 is the mass of a nitrogen atom, not the amount of electrons it has? Which then questions why the answer is 44 haha
    Okay thanks, on a question I just did it required the moles of gas separate from solid products, I'd never seen that before either!

Ohh yes of course you would use 7!! I was thinking in terms of Mr, thank you

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.