Turn on thread page Beta

Uni tuition fee review and more: Q&A with Sam Gyimah, Minister for Universities watch

Announcements
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    We went and interviewed the minister: you can find the video and article here >>

TSR has been invited to interview Sam Gyimah, Minister for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation.

This is your opportunity to ask him anything about education, from exams, to mental health to tuition fees. Just post your question as a reply to this thread.

You can find his comments on the review of tuition fees on his Twitter here.

Not sure what to ask? Here are some facts to get you started:

- He was appointed to the role of Universities Minister in January this year
    - He read PPE at Oxford
    - He worked in Investment Banking before becoming a politician
    - He has served as school governor of an inner London school, on the board of a housing association and on the development board of Somerville College.

ReputationRep:
    Is there still time for tuition fees to be reduced for those who are starting university in 2018? If the fees are lowered after students have started university, would we be entitled to the new reduced fees?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    TSR has been invited to interview Sam Gyimah, Minister for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation.

This is your opportunity to ask him anything about education, from exams, to mental health to tuition fees.

Attachment 726186

- He read PPE at Oxford
    - He has served as school governor of an inner London school, on the board of a housing association and on the development board of Somerville College.
    I heard the government was considering basing tuition fee caps on the employability of certain subjects, is there any truth in this rumour and how would employability be quantified?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Political Ambassador
    Would the reduction of tuition fees be based on how much the degree costs? Or would the government be willing to allow universities to decide what price they’d like to charge on each degree they offer? And post Brexit, will there be any major changes to how the government invests in science and research, including how much we invest into European projects? Or will instead opt for establishing new investments globally in the ways of research?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree with me that basing fees on the type of degree an individual takes is highly problematic and silly?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know what the plans are for interest rates. To purely pay off the annual interest accrued on my student loan, I'd have to earn well over £50,000 a year from the moment I graduate (calculations below but I think that's fairly accurate). Unless NERC has become substantially more generous since the last time I checked, I think it's obvious that I'm never going to pay off my loan under this system so, given that this is the case, what's even the point of having tuition fees? Why not just go straight to an actual graduate tax (I don't support that in the slightest, but I don't get how the current system is any better)?

Spoiler:
    Show

Not even considering interest accrued on my loan whilst studying, I'm going to graduate with over £50,000 of debt from my four-year course. At 6% a year, that's over £3,000 interest per year from day zero. Given that you have to pay 9% of what you earn over £21,000, even using these fairly conservative estimates I'd have to leave university with a day 1 wage of well over £50,000 to simply keep on top of the interest

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what is the outcome of this meeting the PM had to does the uni fee's go down or something
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Bump :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Your government has tripled tuition fees, refused so far to bring down the appalling interest rate on student loans, and now it is going to take a year to review the system that you have set up yourselves.

Why a year?

Also you seem obsessed with tuition fees. Rents in Halls of Residences and private rents have soared and take up huge chunks of maintenance loans. In many cases of low income students, halls rents can be higher than the entire maintenance loan for a year. Some London uni’s are well in excess of £8kpa halls rent, others £5-9kpa.
    Rent caps are the only answer. Will you be looking at rent caps?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The timing of the review seems silly - starting a month after the UCAS deadline shows a fall in applications.
    Due to report a month after the UCAS deadline next year.

Do you think that even just running this review will distort applicant's choices and result in applicants choosing to take multiple gap years in anticipation of a cut to fees?

ReputationRep:
    Will students have the opportunity to submit viewpoints to the review ordered by the Prime Minister? Or will students have representatives on this review.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    University is a time when young people are thrust into a new environment, alone, and try to cope. It's a mentally challenging moment in their lives, and the mental health support services that lots of universities provide are simply inadequate. What does the government propose to do?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

This is your opportunity to ask him anything about education, from exams, to mental health to tuition fees. Just post your question as a reply to this thread.

- He read PPE at Oxford
    Why is Mrs May focusing on tuition fees when in fact, it's the cost of rent in university towns/cities that are causing the most stress for students? What is your government going to do to fix this?

ReputationRep:
    Given that government has not kept to commitments on student loans, for example, by increasing rates mid-loan and by selling off student debt to private contractors, what guarantees can you give that in 10 or 20 years time, there won't be bailiffs kicking in doors to recover student debt from us due to crippling rates and the sort of extremist deregulation favoured by many Tory Brexiteers?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Considering the Equivalent or Lower Qualifications (ELQ) Policy has had a significant and detrimental impact on mature and part-time student numbers, will the Higher Education Review be looking at the ELQ policy, and do you personally believe that people with degrees should be able to access student loans to retrain?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think it would be unfair that incoming students for September 2018 courses will potentially pay more for their course than the following year? E.g. £9250 instead of a potential £6000.

Also don't you think cutting fees for certain degrees is in essence subsidising less useful degrees for our economy, exactly what we don't want to do? Many mathematicians don't do lab work and cost the uni much less than medicine/engineering, why should maths be more expensive than a social science when we need mathematicians?

P.S. Puddles the Monkey how do you see replies
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    What is/was your username on TSR :ninja:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Appleorpear)

P.S. Puddles the Monkey how do you see replies
    We're going to go tomorrow and film the interview and then we'll upload an article with the video in it :woo:

ReputationRep:

- He read PPE at Oxford
    Why have you allowed the interest rate to be set at such a punitively high level and what do you plan to do about it?
    Are you planning to look at the levels of the maintenance loan as at 18 we're supposed to be independent but there's no way that you can pay for accommodation and food without handouts from parents who may not always be willing or able to contribute?
    If the fee level is reduced will this apply retrospectively to those who start a degree this year or is it worth taking a year out in the hope it will be much cheaper next year?

ReputationRep:
    What A level subjects did you do and what grades did you get in them?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 8, 2018
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.