Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    someone pls explain to me the definitions of gravitational potential and gravitation potential energy.

I know gravitational potential is the work done in moving a unit mass from infinity to the point of the field.

But the textbooks either don't give the exact definition of gravitational potential energy or they make the definition of gravitational potential = to definition of gravitational potential energy. (This cant be as they are two different things - Right?)

Someone please give me two DIFFERENT definitions for both.

PS doing OCR A if that's relevant

ReputationRep:
    Gravitational potential energy is the name for the energy store an object gets if it is raised, the same way an object has kinetic energy if it experiences movement.
    When you lift an object in a gravitational field it requires work, which causes a transfer of energy to the gravitational potential energy store.

Not sure if that helped very much, I didn’t know there was a thing called just gravitational potential.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent007)
    someone pls explain to me the definitions of gravitational potential and gravitation potential energy.

I know gravitational potential is the work done in moving a unit mass from infinity to the point of the field.

But the textbooks either don't give the exact definition of gravitational potential energy or they make the definition of gravitational potential = to definition of gravitational potential energy. (This cant be as they are two different things - Right?)

Gravitational potential energy is the same definition as gravitational potential except that you replace unit mass with the mass of the object.

Gravitational potential is the gravitational potential energy per unit mass.

For example: Gravitational potential energy of the Earth with mass m at a distance r from the sun of mass M is P=-GMm/r but the Gravitational Potential at a distance r from the sun of mass M is V=-GM/r so that P=mV and note that Gravitational potential is independent of the object in the gravitational field whereas the Gravitational potential energy depends on the mass of the object in the gravitational field.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Agent007)

Gravitational potential energy (GPE, U) involves the interaction of at least two masses, so it a property of a system of at least two particles while gravitational potential (GP, V) is the property of the source mass.

GPE and GP are related as mentioned by Dalek1099.

V = \dfrac{U}{m}

If the mass m is unit mass, then they are “equal” in numerical value but they are different fundamentally (as you have recognised it.)

GPE can be defined as:

The gravitational potential energy of a system of two particles, with masses M and m and separated by a distance r, is the negative of the work that would be done by the gravitational force of either particle acting on the other if the separation between the particles were changed from infinite (very large) to r.
    The GPE of the system of the two masses is

U =- \dfrac{GMm}{r}

GP can be defined as:
    The gravitational potential at a point is the work done (by an external agent) per unit mass in bringing a small test mass from infinity to that point.

OR

The gravitational potential at a point is the negative of the work done by the gravitational force to move a unit mass from infinity to that point.

Hope this makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Gravitational potential energy is the same definition as gravitational potential except that you replace unit mass with the mass of the object.

Gravitational potential is the gravitational potential energy per unit mass.

For example: Gravitational potential energy of the Earth with mass m at a distance r from the sun of mass M is P=-GMm/r but the Gravitational Potential at a distance r from the sun of mass M is V=-GM/r so that P=mV and note that Gravitational potential is independent of the object in the gravitational field whereas the Gravitational potential energy depends on the mass of the object in the gravitational field.
    Omfg this gave me a eureka moment. Thanks a lot!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.