The Student Room Group

STEM Masterclass ideas

Hi,

In a few weeks I am running a STEM masterclass for Year 11 students as part of a university project.

Our plan at the moment in a 2 hour session is to cover things like how a plane flies, the physics behind it, sonic booms and how they occur, as well as studying the designs of paper aeroplanes and a competition involving weights for distance travelled. The day will involve a balance of videos and group work and interactions with the class, as well as optional problems to take away for fun.

The objective of this session is to teach them the uses of maths, show them something they may not see in class and to have fun.

So my question to GCSE students in particular would be whether this sounds remotely interesting or if there are topics that they'd like to see around 'flying'

Cheers
:bump:

Opinions of gcse students welcomed!
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Hi,

In a few weeks I am running a STEM masterclass for Year 11 students as part of a university project.

Our plan at the moment in a 2 hour session is to cover things like how a plane flies, the physics behind it, sonic booms and how they occur, as well as studying the designs of paper aeroplanes and a competition involving weights for distance travelled. The day will involve a balance of videos and group work and interactions with the class, as well as optional problems to take away for fun.

The objective of this session is to teach them the uses of maths, show them something they may not see in class and to have fun.

So my question to GCSE students in particular would be whether this sounds remotely interesting or if there are topics that they'd like to see around 'flying'

Cheers

A Level student here, but I remember my GCSE school had a big paper aeroplane contest one time as part of enrichment week and it was fun, most people seemed to engage with it and if I remember correctly there was a prize for the winner (well, otherwise it'd be crap).
Original post by I hate maths
A Level student here, but I remember my GCSE school had a big paper aeroplane contest one time as part of enrichment week and it was fun, most people seemed to engage with it and if I remember correctly there was a prize for the winner (well, otherwise it'd be crap).

Awesome, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

There will be a prize, of course. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply

Latest