Turn on thread page Beta
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Hi,

In a few weeks I am running a STEM masterclass for Year 11 students as part of a university project.

Our plan at the moment in a 2 hour session is to cover things like how a plane flies, the physics behind it, sonic booms and how they occur, as well as studying the designs of paper aeroplanes and a competition involving weights for distance travelled. The day will involve a balance of videos and group work and interactions with the class, as well as optional problems to take away for fun.

The objective of this session is to teach them the uses of maths, show them something they may not see in class and to have fun.

So my question to GCSE students in particular would be whether this sounds remotely interesting or if there are topics that they'd like to see around 'flying'

Cheers
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    :bump:

Opinions of gcse students welcomed!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevin De Bruyne)
    Hi,

In a few weeks I am running a STEM masterclass for Year 11 students as part of a university project.

Our plan at the moment in a 2 hour session is to cover things like how a plane flies, the physics behind it, sonic booms and how they occur, as well as studying the designs of paper aeroplanes and a competition involving weights for distance travelled. The day will involve a balance of videos and group work and interactions with the class, as well as optional problems to take away for fun.

The objective of this session is to teach them the uses of maths, show them something they may not see in class and to have fun.

So my question to GCSE students in particular would be whether this sounds remotely interesting or if there are topics that they'd like to see around 'flying'

Cheers
    A Level student here, but I remember my GCSE school had a big paper aeroplane contest one time as part of enrichment week and it was fun, most people seemed to engage with it and if I remember correctly there was a prize for the winner (well, otherwise it'd be crap).
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by I hate maths)
    A Level student here, but I remember my GCSE school had a big paper aeroplane contest one time as part of enrichment week and it was fun, most people seemed to engage with it and if I remember correctly there was a prize for the winner (well, otherwise it'd be crap).
    Awesome, glad to hear you enjoyed it.

There will be a prize, of course.

Thanks for the feedback!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.