Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am 19 and been in education continuously (now at uni). I have done very well with all my studies e.g 13 GCSE's, an extended diploma in level 3 childcare and education, tonnes of experience work with placements and currently doing very well at uni. Unfortunately that's not enough to please my parents as they are always making nasty passing comments about how I'm lazy and never do anything (I live at home). My hours at uni are spread across 4 days meaning I'm unable to get a decent job and be able to complete all my studies. I have been battling with extremely bad anxiety and panic attacks which is set off my leaving the house but still have managed to maintain everything. I never ask my parents for anything and I maintain my car and everyday things on my student loan. I absolutely hate it when people think university is easy as I know for a fact my parents would not cope with the work I'm given etc but they will never understand that. I'm starting to think it would of been 10 x easier to not go to uni and get a job to please my parents. Does anyone have any similar stories or advice?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ghostly1)
    I am 19 and been in education continuously (now at uni). I have done very well with all my studies e.g 13 GCSE's, an extended diploma in level 3 childcare and education, tonnes of experience work with placements and currently doing very well at uni. Unfortunately that's not enough to please my parents as they are always making nasty passing comments about how I'm lazy and never do anything (I live at home). My hours at uni are spread across 4 days meaning I'm unable to get a decent job and be able to complete all my studies. I have been battling with extremely bad anxiety and panic attacks which is set off my leaving the house but still have managed to maintain everything. I never ask my parents for anything and I maintain my car and everyday things on my student loan. I absolutely hate it when people think university is easy as I know for a fact my parents would not cope with the work I'm given etc but they will never understand that. I'm starting to think it would of been 10 x easier to not go to uni and get a job to please my parents. Does anyone have any similar stories or advice?
    Have you spoken to your university and also your GP about your anxiety/panic attacks?

You shouldn't do things just to please your parents. You're an adult now so don't think about what you could have done differently to please them!

ReputationRep:
    I seeker support but decided it was too long to wait with my attendance dropping at uni so I learned to deal with it enough to keep doing well and gradually get my attendance back up
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I seeker support but decided it was too long to wait with my attendance dropping at uni so I learned to deal with it enough to keep doing well and gradually get my attendance back up
    Well if you ever need help/a chat, then visit your university's support team, or make a thread here

ReputationRep:
    I'd sell the car and go into accommodation for 2nd year you can get a job in the SU that they will work around your studies or bar work which should help top up the funds for your rent I'm thinking your parents putting you done all the time probably isn't helping your anxiety and panic attacks most unis have really good mental health services. That might be able to help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I'd sell the car and go into accommodation for 2nd year you can get a job in the SU that they will work around your studies or bar work which should help top up the funds for your rent I'm thinking your parents putting you done all the time probably isn't helping your anxiety and panic attacks most unis have really good mental health services. That might be able to help.
    Definitely try to get acconadation for 2nd year I chose to stay at home for the 1st year, my unis in London, but have regretted it. My brother who went away for uni confedence has grown by being on his own, so defiantly go for it next year. Also I get similar things from my parents saying that unis easy, so your not alone there, maybe they just don’t understand hard academic type work.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.